What's new

Occasional Mutant Facial Hair?

I thought I was alone with my odd Mutant Hair that I pluck....I guess not.

Call me crazy, but I love plucking these mutant hairs when I see them. As a few other have said, they just slide right out.

And I thought I was weird for enjoying plucking them, now I see a whole thread on them :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm a hair-carrying member of this club as well, although they seem to usually grow on the back of my head. My ex enjoyed plucking them out (I think she was fascinated).

I get the same thing all the time. at least ten or fifteen at any given time on my face. I only noticed I had them when I started using an electric razor back in the days that I was still on the dark side. The hairs so thick, they would not fit into the screen on the razor and hence never got cut off. A few days into my foray into electrics, I looked in the mirror and so all these mutants staring back at me. Very strange indeed! I also found them fun to play with...

I got these mutant twigs all the time when using a cart. Since switching to a DE they have become very rare.

I too have experienced probably a dozen of them in the last 2 years. Since I started using a DE two months ago, I have not had a mutant hair or an ingrown hair.

I do still get the muties, super-thick ropes of 3 or 4 hairs grown together in my case. I used to get them almost every time I shaved with cartridges. After 2 weeks of DE shaving, I thought that I had the beat. Hadn't seen a single one until today (also-noteworthy, yesterday was the first time in as many weeks that I skipped a shave.) It was inflammed badly around the hair and I was very careful not to cut over it, which I figured would be the first accident I would make that day. All that I accomplised was cutting the hair down too short to get a hold of. So I tried my old standard method of dealing with these buggers. I never used trweezers, but would lay my flattened thumbs on either side, giving about 1/4" clearance. Then, proceeded to pop it out like a zit.***I will not recommend this to anyone, although it usually does work for me.***After enough rather intense sqeezing, the hair will typically find it's way through the survace enough to grab hold with fingernails and pull it out. Sometimes they eject straight out of my face and stick to the mirrior, hair and all.

My curiosity did get the better of me today, so I tried to shave over it. No horror stories, the "lump" of skin that results from the mutant hair reddened, but did not loose a drop of blood. The downside is the it did cut the hair, which I cannot reach now using my old technique or tweezers. Dang think is kinda making the whole left side of my jaw hurt and swollen. I know that is a possible sign of infection, but they have done me this way all my life and eventually they do let go. The whiskers never win! Now I just have the orange colored Skittle sized roadblock for the next few days and it is driving me nuts. I keep sqeezing and digging, but the only thing that comes out is blood and the clear interstitial fluid, so it shrinks down for a couple hours, but it will be back.

I honestly came in this thread for a little cammadaderie, but I think I just ended up ranting at a stupid-crazy hair. Sorry about that guys...:facep:

Hope you are having better look than I am. AND....Really hoping this is a fluke and I'm not dealing with this every couple of weeks...

Last edited:
Oh god thanks I'm not alone :) i have the double/triple size hairs growing, but they do so consistently. And mostly on my Right side (maybe my wife is radioactive, causer she sleeps on my Right :p) they never hurt and while they offer a slight resistance, they are quite easy to tweeze.

I have two of the whispy thin hairs as well.... One growing smack between the eyebrows and the other on my right (again) side of the chest..... The one on my chest can get several inches long. And apparently comes from one Day to the next. My theory on the whispys is that they grow under the most outer outer layer of skin, until the skin breaks and the hair pops out.... Hence the illusion that the hair grows and inch or two over night...... But thats just my theory

I do still get the muties, super-thick ropes of 3 or 4 hairs grown together in my case. I used to get them almost every time I shaved with cartridges. After 2 weeks of DE shaving, I thought that I had the beat. Hadn't seen a single one until today (also-noteworthy, yesterday was the first time in as many weeks that I skipped a shave.) It was inflammed badly around the hair and I was very careful not to cut over it, which I figured would be the first accident I would make that day. All that I accomplised was cutting the hair down too short to get a hold of. So I tried my old standard method of dealing with these buggers. I never used trweezers, but would lay my flattened thumbs on either side, giving about 1/4" clearance. Then, proceeded to pop it out like a zit.***I will not recommend this to anyone, although it usually does work for me.***After enough rather intense sqeezing, the hair will typically find it's way through the survace enough to grab hold with fingernails and pull it out. Sometimes they eject straight out of my face and stick to the mirrior, hair and all.

My curiosity did get the better of me today, so I tried to shave over it. No horror stories, the "lump" of skin that results from the mutant hair reddened, but did not loose a drop of blood. The downside is the it did cut the hair, which I cannot reach now using my old technique or tweezers. Dang think is kinda making the whole left side of my jaw hurt and swollen. I know that is a possible sign of infection, but they have done me this way all my life and eventually they do let go. The whiskers never win! Now I just have the orange colored Skittle sized roadblock for the next few days and it is driving me nuts. I keep sqeezing and digging, but the only thing that comes out is blood and the clear interstitial fluid, so it shrinks down for a couple hours, but it will be back.

I honestly came in this thread for a little cammadaderie, but I think I just ended up ranting at a stupid-crazy hair. Sorry about that guys...:facep:

Hope you are having better look than I am. AND....Really hoping this is a fluke and I'm not dealing with this every couple of weeks...

been there, done that.

when it works to squeeze it out it, it's great. when it doesn't work, you are left with a giant red, sore spot for days and the hair is still there.

it's hard to resist though, and I always give it a try. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. my trouble mutant hair is always right side, jaw, lower. 1 hair and I won't let it beat me.

Too funny. I get them a few times a year, usually black but occasionally white.

Oh and how I love plucking them out!

I get these too. I always thought they were ingrown hairs that had formed into thicker hairs twined with one another. To me they are almost like a cats claw pointed at on end with the thicker end under the skin, onion like is a good description. Glad to hear its not just me.

Definitely a relief to get them out but I do get obsessed looking for them.

I get these, too, almost routinely, esp on a 2 day growth. When I find one I go into an almost OCD-like frenzy until I can yank it/them out. It is such a relief when I do.

Now for the gross part.

As a lad, 1st grade I believe, I had chicken pox and developed a scar at the base of my skull. This scar was quite painful, even to the point of bringing tears to my eyes if I hit it too hard with a comb or whatnot. Others could obviously see it and would ask and I would explain about the "chicken pox scar". I thought it was just something I had to live with and my barber, a high school classmate of my dad's who was a third or fourth generation barber, never really made mention of it or investigated it closely to make me think it was anything else. Well, late in college my girlfriend at the time was obsessed with pulling ingrown hairs, etc, and one evening she set to work on my "scar" with a pair of tweezers. She had my head held down and was digging around with the tweezers and I could feel her pulling and she starts yelling, "Oh my God, Oh my God, it's DISGUSTING!!!" I'm like "What?!?!?!?" When she finally let my head up I turned to see hair, every bit of 10 inches long and covered with dried, white, who-knows-what, dangling from the tweezers. My chicken pox scar had turned out to be an ingrown hair that had continued to grow, unabated for, perhaps, more than a decade.

Truly disgusting.

-Greg

I shave daily to avoid these. I do on ocassion have the plastic white, or the mutiple shafted follicle. Very rare for these cases though.
Daily DE shaving is the ingrown hair Kyrptonite!

Dtown

Few mutant hair a year grows here too. 3 times thicker than normal hair and it is easy to pull out. The base part is twice as big as the hair part.

Every now and then I notice that some of my razor bumps are not just due to my normal curly hair that curled back in, but also from these "mutant" hairs that seem about 2-3 times as thick as normal hair. It's almost as if some of my hair follicles occasionally have Siamese twins. I was wondering if anyone else (or perhaps everyone else) has the same issue. It seems these big-little guys are that much tougher for my blade to work through, though using a sharp blade in a slant-bar seems to help.
Thanks!

I GET THE SAME THING!

*** is up with that?!

Top Bottom