What's new

Occasional Mutant Facial Hair?

I've gotten these "multi-hairs" every few months for a couple years now. I was reading this thread last night and then today was feeling a throb in my chin...and automatically thought "it must be a coincidence." Sure enough, I just got home from work, walked into the bathroom and felt a small lump...squeezed it, and out popped (literally) a rootless stalk with about 4 hairs.

Kinda cool, actually. Especially when I can get it out before it becomes noticeable to anyone else!

I also get super thick hairs on occasion, but I don't think mine are compound hairs. When I find them I pluck them out. They almost never hurt and usually slip right out as if they were rootless. If it's a tough one, then I use some medical tweezers that I have. Those have a sort of single tooth "claw" on one end and a matching notch on the other. Whatever it grips won't slip.

I've gotten those.

Ages ago I noticed what appeared to be a classic blackhead on my jaw. While extracting it appeared to be a single thick (about the diameter of a #2 pencil lead) hair. Later I had a few other multi-hair mutants, none so egregious as the first however. I also had one of the club-footed monstrosities that was likened by a previous poster as "pulling an onion from the ground." In each case I too got a strange feeling of relief immediately. Strange.
I switched to a much less caustic soap for shaving afterwards. Also, I'm an avid cyclist and noticed that these outbreaks were located along the line my helmet strap would follow. I started washing that helmet. I haven't had a problem since.
As a postscript I'll add that it was this thread that led me to the site for the first time last week. Now I am the proud (if bloody) convert and owner of two safety razors.
Thanks-

Last edited:
Ages ago I noticed what appeared to be a classic blackhead on my jaw. While extracting it appeared to be a single thick (about the diameter of a #2 pencil lead) hair. Later I had a few other multi-hair mutants, none so egregious as the first however. I also had one of the club-footed monstrosities that was likened by a previous poster as "pulling an onion from the ground." In each case I too got a strange feeling of relief immediately. Strange.
I switched to a much less caustic soap for shaving afterwards. Also, I'm an avid cyclist and noticed that these outbreaks were located along the line my helmet strap would follow. I started washing that helmet. I haven't had a problem since.
As a postscript I'll add that it was this thread that led me to the site for the first time last week. Now I am the proud (if bloody) convert and owner of two safety razors.
Thanks-

That's awesome Gordo! Welcome to B&B!!! Remember to check out the newbie section for tips, tricks, and an endless supply of help when you need. :)

I have a few hairs on my face that just grow extra thick for some reason. They always grow in this way without exception. However, my mutant hairs are softer than my normal ones. They also seem to be growing out of damaged hair folicles, because I tend to pluck them out when I notice them, and I hardly can feel it when I do; that it unless I grab a healthy hair with it... then OUCH!

Count me in this club too gentlemen. About every two or three months I'll get one of these rootless monsters. I'm always amazed that they keep growing until I yank 'em out with tweezers. And once they're yanked - a painless process I might add - they have no root. It always leaves me wondering how such a monster hair can grow with no root. Ah the mysteries of life!

Count me in this club too gentlemen. About every two or three months I'll get one of these rootless monsters. I'm always amazed that they keep growing until I yank 'em out with tweezers. And once they're yanked - a painless process I might add - they have no root. It always leaves me wondering how such a monster hair can grow with no root. Ah the mysteries of life!

Exactly the same with me. I have one on either side of my chin in the area where my whiskers are the densest. I never noticed them until I was about 30 so I don't think they were there before. When I first noticed one, I thought it was a blackhead or plugged pore or something like that. The "hair" has a rubber like consistency different from other whiskers and if I squeeze it laterally with the tweezers it can be divided up into a bunch of parallel filaments. I tweeze them out when I see them (again, totally painless like they are not attached to anything under the skin). The only time they affect my shave is when using a straight razor after like 2 days of growth I can definitely feel it when making a pass as the razor tends to skip over it.

I wish medical science would investigate important issues like this rather than waste time curing diseases and all that. :shifty:

Exactly the same with me. I have one on either side of my chin in the area where my whiskers are the densest. I never noticed them until I was about 30 so I don't think they were there before. When I first noticed one, I thought it was a blackhead or plugged pore or something like that. The "hair" has a rubber like consistency different from other whiskers and if I squeeze it laterally with the tweezers it can be divided up into a bunch of parallel filaments. I tweeze them out when I see them (again, totally painless like they are not attached to anything under the skin). The only time they affect my shave is when using a straight razor after like 2 days of growth I can definitely feel it when making a pass as the razor tends to skip over it.

I wish medical science would investigate important issues like this rather than waste time curing diseases and all that. :shifty:

It's like we're mutant facial hair twins separated at birth!

I too get the occasional mutant hairs (like wires or splinters) along my jawline. Upon close examination, they turn out to be multiple hairs growing from a sing pore [pili multigeneri]. For me, not a great concern as I only get about one per year. At worst I'll get an in-grown hair zit.

I've also had the mysterious forehead ghost hair Trawlerman describes. Very odd little buggers. They grow 2 to 3 inches overnight (I'm certain they weren't there the day before) and are very, very fine (like the wispiest spider silk you ever saw). I'm amazed they can grow so long so quickly. Has anyone else ever had these?

Lastly, just how rare is pili multigeneri? I've heard estimates from 100,000 to 400,000 cases worldwide. Any dermatologists reading this blog? Should I run down to the University Med School and offer up my beard for science?

I've experienced the flat variety with painless tweezing three times in my life, that I can remember. They are freakish.

Ha ha. This is hilarious. I, too, belong in the mutant facial hair club. :laugh:

This is the only thread I have found on the internet which acurately describes what I have experienced, however, I don't think it's Pili Multigeneri in my case either.

Every month or so, I'll get a single black hair in my beard stubble, wholly discernable from the other hairs, as this is jet black and a lot thicker (maybe 4 or 5 times thicker). It appears the same length as my other facial hairs of about 5mm. When I use tweezers to pull the hair out, there is no resistence or pain; it literally slides out. It is about 10mm in length (which obviously means there was 5mm growing under the skin). It has the consistency and appearance of plastic and doesn't seperate into individual strands of hair. Why is this kind of thing not documented? Am I a member of an elite club now? :wink2:

Ha ha. This is hilarious. I, too, belong in the mutant facial hair club. :laugh:

This is the only thread I have found on the internet which acurately describes what I have experienced, however, I don't think it's Pili Multigeneri in my case either.

Every month or so, I'll get a single black hair in my beard stubble, wholly discernable from the other hairs, as this is jet black and a lot thicker (maybe 4 or 5 times thicker). It appears the same length as my other facial hairs of about 5mm. When I use tweezers to pull the hair out, there is no resistence or pain; it literally slides out. It is about 10mm in length (which obviously means there was 5mm growing under the skin). It has the consistency and appearance of plastic and doesn't seperate into individual strands of hair. Why is this kind of thing not documented? Am I a member of an elite club now? :wink2:

This is exactly the same for me, i havent had one for a while, maybe once or twice in the last year since i started DE shaving. i used to get one probably monthly before that.

one single double/treble thickness plastic hair that doesnt splitinot two, the same length as the others, if left i get a bump and a red patch, yanked out with tweezers, longer below the skin than above.

Occasional Mutant Facial Hair Club Member! (OMFH)

Yeah, wikipedia may call those hairs rare, but it's not the case. On my chest I always have several, all over the place. On my face I get them from time to time. Sometimes I'll get an infection in the hair canal, the oil gland underneath, whatever, that often leads to inflammation with the hair usually becoming ingrown. If it doesn't go ingrown, I'll end up plucking the hair with tweezers. Now this is the weird part, the hair seems to act like an oil plug, once I pull it, oil will start flowing out of the pore like blood, and keep running for a while. Like ten-ish minutes. It really freaked me out the first couple of times. Intense amounts of relief occurred after the pull and as it drained. Keep in mind, I'm talking clear oil, not pus. Though the root of the hair had pus on it.

Card carrying OMFH club member.
Every few months, one of these little monsters will rear its ugly head.

Oh, and this is easily the most weirdly satisfying thread I've ever come across here.

~B

We've had a few of these threads in the past talking about this very same thing. IIRC, there were quite a lot of us (me included) that have experienced this.

Top Bottom