What's new

Occam’s Razor SS DE version from Classic Shaving...

How similar to R41 is the open comb plate? Nice looking razor!

I've never used an R41 but I would say all of the plates would still be in the mid-aggression range with the closed comb being the mildest and the small holed one being the most aggressive of the group. I would put the most aggressive one close to what I remember the R plate being from ATT

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm out on a roadtrip and have been sporting a full beard. I got the urge to shave it down to a goatee, and only had the Occam DE with the solid bar plate. No trimmer. Nothing but my shaving kit. So I just went for it. That razor mowed through that beard like butter. I was pretty surprised. Had a solid DFS shave in 3 easy passes. No blood or irritation what so ever. Great razor any way I slice it. Now I want to mow off the rest of it because it was so much fun!

Today I did what most recommend not doing; changing two variables for a shave. The first was using Palmolive Shave Cream for the first time. Long story short on that...it's fantastic.

The second change, however, was something I'd never done before. I shimmed the solid bar version of this razor. I honestly didn't know what to expect and was kind of worried that it would take the things that I really like about it (smooth, mildly efficient, almost impossible to nick yourself) and ruin it. What I got was unexpected. Just as smooth, more efficient than the full open comb version and still forgiving. I used a single blade shim underneath the full blade and it barely made a noticeable difference in looks. Will have to try this for the rest of the week but it may be a real winner!

Today I did what most recommend not doing; changing two variables for a shave. The first was using Palmolive Shave Cream for the first time. Long story short on that...it's fantastic.

The second change, however, was something I'd never done before. I shimmed the solid bar version of this razor. I honestly didn't know what to expect and was kind of worried that it would take the things that I really like about it (smooth, mildly efficient, almost impossible to nick yourself) and ruin it. What I got was unexpected. Just as smooth, more efficient than the full open comb version and still forgiving. I used a single blade shim underneath the full blade and it barely made a noticeable difference in looks. Will have to try this for the rest of the week but it may be a real winner!
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES!
did you just cut the edge off the blade with scissors?

Follow-up on the shimmed solid bar. I went back to my old shaving cream today (Pacific Shaving Company) just to see if it was more a soap change on how well it shaved yesterday but I had the exact same results today. Excellent two pass shave that was comfortable, smooth and drama free. If you haven't tried shimming the SB plate, I would highly suggest it.

I've had some good experiences using blade shims. I've even altered several tucks of inferior blades so I have them ready to go

Somehow, I tend to trust Classic Shaving‘s geometry. Have you tried all the different plates?
I have. My order of preference before this shim experience was the full open comb followed by solid bar then the smaller open comb. The full open comb was slightly more efficient than the solid bar.
Now it is solid bar shimmed, full then medium. I haven't nicked myself with the solid bar with or without the shim. I have nicked myself (a mole) a couple times with both the open comb plates. With the shim, the solid bar seems to be slightly more efficient than the full open comb. May try shimming that one to see how it works.

One final update on the solid bar with one shim. I used it all week and all the shaves were the same and in one word they can be summed up as great. Also love the Palmolive soap. Will go next week without the shim but really happy with how this experiment went.

A bump to the thread.

Revisited the Occam's DE yesterday with a real smooth & comfy 3 pass shave. The oc plate with the larger holes has been the plate that I've used the most with quality results every time. Again, excellent blade alignment with very good balance and feel. The knurling on the handle is one of the best I've experienced regardless of maker and price point. Just a quality and superbly priced kit that will cater to the majority of wet shavers out there.

Definitely one of the top values in the game....

IQ4M3A0.jpg

The open comb plate (that looks like the Eclipse plate) is also my go to for this razor. I've found I'm not a fan of the peaked cap, but I have it as part of the set. One complaint, however, is the lacquer of the "O" on the bottom of the handle is beginning to flake off. I guess if that's my biggest complaint, not much of one is it?

A bump to the thread.

Revisited the Occam's DE yesterday with a real smooth & comfy 3 pass shave. The oc plate with the larger holes has been the plate that I've used the most with quality results every time. Again, excellent blade alignment with very good balance and feel. The knurling on the handle is one of the best I've experienced regardless of maker and price point. Just a quality and superbly priced kit that will cater to the majority of wet shavers out there.

Definitely one of the top values in the game....

View attachment 1083675
Is the Russian razor better ?

Is the Russian razor better ?

Yes, I would give the nod to the START razor. Better quality & craftsmanship with a bump up in shave performance. Not drastic but, just slightly more noticeable. Where the Occam’s gets the START is in overall value & availability. Full polished kit for the START is about $165 shipped with a travel time of 1-6 weeks depending on location. The Occam’s is nearly 1/3 the START and is readily available here in the States and at your door within days.

Honestly, they are both excellent shavers. While one is CNC’d & the other is MIM produced, they both will give you a range of finding your specific shave requirements with their plate adjustability. It’s a win from either one.

Happy shaves.....

I purchased an SB Occam's from one of the fine B&B members. I have used it once and found it very smooth and mild with an Astra SP. It provided an easy DFS. I think next time I will try it with a Nacet for a week to really get a feel for it. I had hoped someone would make an 89 clone in SS and this seems pretty close. As others have said, that is a good thing. I would like to see a CNC version but that's just me.

I've ordered a base plate (the one with the largest openings) and a cap for a project frankenrazor (which I'm going to include into a gift set). Unfortunately, only the peaked caps were available. Are these ridges stand in the way somehow, do they make the shaving experience inferior to those with the regular smooth caps?

I've ordered a base plate (the one with the largest opening) and a cap for a project frankenrazor (which I'm going to include into a gift set). Unfortunately, only the peaked caps were available. Are these ridges stand in the way somehow, do they make the shaving experience inferior to those with the regular smooth caps?

I have both caps and I would have to be overly critical of the ridge cap to say there was a difference. I can not distinguish a bit of difference.

I've ordered a base plate (the one with the largest openings) and a cap for a project frankenrazor (which I'm going to include into a gift set). Unfortunately, only the peaked caps were available. Are these ridges stand in the way somehow, do they make the shaving experience inferior to those with the regular smooth caps?
i didn't think so. If you reach the ridge, you've gone too far.

Top Bottom