What's new

Occam's Razor priced @ 50% off - what is it like?

I'd like to have a SE in my den. Tried OneBlade Core and didn't care for it. For those with experience, where does the Occam's fall on the mild-aggressive scale? I see that there are 3 heads and I'd probably use the mild one, but know that all things are relative.

Also, how is it for shaving the upper lip area? That's one of the specifics I didn't like about the Core.

Lastly, it looks like they suggest 3 blades to use- are they the only ones you can use with the razor? Are they more costly than average?

I had one and sold it as I found that even with the most aggressive plate, it didn't provide a close enough shave. So if you're looking for a mild razor, it might work for you. I had no issue with maneuverability, including on my upper lip.

I used Feather Pro and Schick Proline blades; I'm not sure if there are some AC style blades that might be incompatible or not. Blade loading is a bit finicky, and the tool they provide seems to make it harder rather than easier to load and unload blades.

The price surprised me; I'm pretty sure I only paid around $50, but maybe that was an introductory price. I just checked on their site and it looks as if the list price is now around $200!

Cannot comment on the Occam's itself as I have no experience with it. I was reading reviews a while back when I was looking at buying it and they were generally mixed leaning more on the negative side. Kept me away from purchasing it.

Based on following the forums over the last few months the top choices here for an SE seem to be:

Blackland Vector
Colonial General
ATT SE
Razorock Hawk

I have experience with the Blackland and ATT and would suggest either of them as good options to start. ATT SE and Razorock both have OC options if you prefer those plates. To me the Blackland is the truly unique one given its low profile though I believe any of those could be a good match for you.

Cannot comment on the Occam's itself as I have no experience with it. I was reading reviews a while back when I was looking at buying it and they were generally mixed leaning more on the negative side. Kept me away from purchasing it.

Based on following the forums over the last few months the top choices here for an SE seem to be:

Blackland Vector
Colonial General
ATT SE
Razorock Hawk

I have experience with the Blackland and ATT and would suggest either of them as good options to start. ATT SE and Razorock both have OC options if you prefer those plates. To me the Blackland is the truly unique one given its low profile though I believe any of those could be a good match for you.
Of the four you list, the only one I've tried is the Hawk, but if I didn't mind spending the money I would agree that the Vector, General and ATT SE1 are a good place to start. I'll also add the Classic Shaving Enoch to your list. I like it better than the RazoRock Hawk V3 (both safety bar and open comb), and it's considerably less expensive than the top 3 on your list. It's also slightly less expensive than Occam's OREN razor that the OP was considering.

If you want an heirloom quality SE razor that takes AC blades, buy a RazoRock Hawk V3.

If you want a damn good SE, and you don't care about the blade type, get an L type Schick Injector.

I had one and sold it as I found that even with the most aggressive plate, it didn't provide a close enough shave. So if you're looking for a mild razor, it might work for you. I had no issue with maneuverability, including on my upper lip.

I used Feather Pro and Schick Proline blades; I'm not sure if there are some AC style blades that might be incompatible or not. Blade loading is a bit finicky, and the tool they provide seems to make it harder rather than easier to load and unload blades.

The price surprised me; I'm pretty sure I only paid around $50, but maybe that was an introductory price. I just checked on their site and it looks as if the list price is now around $200!

Same here, spent more time gathering dust than stubble.

I had one and really struggled with the floating blade concept. There were also some quality control issues with the mildest plate and after three replacements that all had the same problem, I sold it on. The person who purchased it was an engineer and was able to drill out he holes properly in order to make it fit. I never did get to try it on it's mildest setting. To be fair, the manufacturer did try to resolve the problem quickly and efficiently, but were unable to deal with the fact that the product was fundamentally flawed during manufacture.

That's a good looking razor. Definitely one I'll consider.
The Vector is arguably the best out of all of them. I own one and it's a very nice piece but again, if you want heirloom, just spend $60 and get a Hawk V3. And if you just want one of the best SE razors ever produced, just get a Schick L type injector. In fact, spend $20 on the Injector first, and if you decide you don't like it (haha, yeah right), you can sell it for $20. Then step up to the Hawk V3 For $60 and if you don't like it, you can sell it for $50. At that point, you will have tried two EXCELLENT options and you're only out $10. But if you buy a Vector or a General V2 and decide you don't like it, then I must suggest that SE razors are not for you.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to have a SE in my den. Tried OneBlade Core and didn't care for it. For those with experience, where does the Occam's fall on the mild-aggressive scale? I see that there are 3 heads and I'd probably use the mild one, but know that all things are relative.

Also, how is it for shaving the upper lip area? That's one of the specifics I didn't like about the Core.

Lastly, it looks like they suggest 3 blades to use- are they the only ones you can use with the razor? Are they more costly than average?

The Occam's razor is capable of good results given that you use the 3-dot (most aggressive) cap and a more forward blade. I'll bet the Feather Pro Super (I have only tried the Pro) would be a very good match.

Shave 20200428
shave 20200428.jpg

Razor: Occam's Razor, 3-dot cap
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (1)
Brush: Omega EVO 28mm Synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath and Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Cologne: Aqua Velva Musk

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The combination of the Occam's Razor with the 3-dot (most aggressive) cap and the Feather Artist Club Professional blade produced the best results I've experienced with this razor. Definitely an improvement over my previous shaves with this razor. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I thought they clearanced all the V1's out over a year ago at something like $59 or so and had reduced the V2's to around $90 because they weren't going to carry them anymore?

Try the supply single edge, but use Schick injectors instead of the supply blades. It has 3 plates and a 100 day trial for around 75 bucks. I almost returned mine after a month, but tried it with a Schick blade just before boxing it up, and now I really enjoy it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I recently bought a couple of packs of Feather AC Pros from WCS at $14.99 for each 20 blades, which is around $0.75 per blade. Given that I can easily make each AC blade last a week or more, that puts the cost per shave down into a pretty comfortable range. Admittedly, that all depends on where you live, so my shopping experience may not match yours.

Top Bottom