What's new

Occam's Razor from Classic Shaving- two-week review

I hope you like it as much as I do, I really like mine and it has even steered me towards the "single edge" areas of this forum and picking up a Razorock Hawk. I will say it has a bit of a veggie peeler feel to it but thats just me.
😂 My daily driver is a Broman so it will have a nice sibling. And of course a focus dynamic to reach those spots where big heads collide with nosy subjects.
Now just need to find out which mild but sharp blades I need to order here to fill the Oren. Most likely proguard and maybe a pink

Is the safety bar on the Occam's Razor a large issue with shaving under the nose? This appears to come up quite often in discussion. I am considering ordering the Occam's rather than the OREN due to the excellent price (especially when customs duty to the UK is considered), and the more traditional styling, but am trying to decide if the latter is a more reliable purchase.

Got mine today, placed a Feather w teeth used x 2 in a Kamisori style.....I only shaved half a face since the other was done w the experimental Yaqi adjustable. Now the Occam, is a nice razor, well finished, seems solid and loading a feather was easy. Mind you I tried a chinaman blade to get a feeling of loading and that one did not work.....just came out (I did not intend to shave w that).
On the 2 dot head and the Feather w training wheels....it was smooth but I did NOT achieve what I like as far as closeness. I did not press as I usually don't ..... but the shave was worse than a EJ 89. Well I may try a different blade w more bite and or 3 head. One of these days I'll shave my head w this again.

Is the safety bar on the Occam's Razor a large issue with shaving under the nose? This appears to come up quite often in discussion. I am considering ordering the Occam's rather than the OREN due to the excellent price (especially when customs duty to the UK is considered), and the more traditional styling, but am trying to decide if the latter is a more reliable purchase.
They have seconds of both for 49.50.
Most likely you get the same issues as with any razor which head is wider as the blade. If the safety bar is more tucked in you should get closer atg.
I do not expect more issues as with a futul, broman, snmirn

I thought I would add a photo of the tiny piece of metal that extends on the non-cutting edge of my Schick Proline and prevents me from using it in the Occam's or OREN razors without modification. I have also added a photo of the modified blade after I have used the tin snips. Sorry for the quality but all I have is a phone and it doesn't seem to have a macro option.
Prior to modification:
View attachment 1241711

After modification (sorry for the rotation, the phone is doing it automatically)
View attachment 1241743

eric
I have the same issue with my prolines blade. I bought 600 blades from Japan. Have you tried to shave with the razor before you modified it? I have the oren razor and the vector se. They work fine in both. I was afraid the bits sticking out on my oren razor would be catching me during the shave, but i could not feel it. Just try it.

Have you tried to shave with the razor before you modified it? I have the oren razor and the vector se. They work fine in both.

Prior to modification my Prolines will work with the General, but they won't load into the OREN or the Occams SE razor. I only bought a pack of 30 blades, and like you I was a little concerned the small piece of metal exposed in the General would cause some cuts. Thus far I haven't been cut with one of the side pieces. I mainly use the OREN now so when I do use the Prolines, I have to modify the blade to enable loading. I like the blades but I won't be buying any more of them as I have heard from a number of people having Prolines with the same problem.

eric

They have seconds of both for 49.50.
Most likely you get the same issues as with any razor which head is wider as the blade. If the safety bar is more tucked in you should get closer atg.
I do not expect more issues as with a futul, broman, snmirn

Thanks! I have managed reasonably ATG under the nose with a Leaf razor; it can't be much more difficult.

I decided to go with the original Occam's Razor, just in case there was a quality issue with the OREN second (it would be difficult to return from the UK). On which note, this turned out to be a real bargain after the 20% off code - £46.55 including shipping! Really looking forward to it.

Thanks! I have managed reasonably ATG under the nose with a Leaf razor; it can't be much more difficult.

I decided to go with the original Occam's Razor, just in case there was a quality issue with the OREN second (it would be difficult to return from the UK). On which note, this turned out to be a real bargain after the 20% off code - £46.55 including shipping! Really looking forward to it.
Lol unfortunately did not have the code at hand and just ordered the Oren with a please double check before sending it to holland. Will be interesting to see which comes first.
I rarely go atg with a broman or futul under my nose but xtg migh stretch a nostril or demand a clean up with my old focus dynamic r48 or an nose/ear razor

Second shave: changed to a Feather Professional blade, more blade feel, closer shave (still not as close as I like it) I did put a bit of pressure and only did 2 passes , with and then against. It's an OK shave, but I want it closer, and it's just in the sides... Irritation was minimal. Ordered some super blades....maybe those? It's amazing how for the price of 20; I can get 100 good quality DE blades.....and they shave me better.

Second shave: changed to a Feather Professional blade, more blade feel, closer shave (still not as close as I like it) I did put a bit of pressure and only did 2 passes , with and then against. It's an OK shave, but I want it closer, and it's just in the sides... Irritation was minimal. Ordered some super blades....maybe those? It's amazing how for the price of 20; I can get 100 good quality DE blades.....and they shave me better.
DE blades are very thin and very sharp. The Feathers are a bit thicker and stiffer; makes it a different shave. I get as close as can be with almost any blade; DE, SE, straight, IMHO it's just a matter of practice. It took me a few shaves to master the Occam's with the floating aspect; after that it's been very smooth sailing. The floating aspect has made going across my jawline from right to left when my skin is slightly stretched upwards very easy and nice. Places in that area where I might get irritation or nicks from other razors are delightfully free with the Occam's.

Now, I do have a mustache, so the under the nose issue I haven't had to deal with. But, I am able to get under my lower lip perfectly well, and under my ear lobes just fine. If I remember, I've had a mustache for a long time, with a lot of razors with larger heads it was easier to go across above the upper lip, rather than straight down or up under the nose. It's a similar issue I think to using a straight for the upper lip.

Just have some fun!

3rd shave: Feather Pro super, now with this one compared to others, more blade feel, and a closer shave, this is more of what I expected. 3 pass shave and good results (what I expected before but didn't get), minimal irritation, significant more blade feel, no blade vibration that I could perceive when shaking it....

Anyway, this seems to satisfy my shaving taste......the other 2 blades were not good enough. Might try a kai....
So for now this is a good option but is in no way superior to a good DE w a decent blade or a Schick razor w schick blade.

My original Occam's Razor arrived yesterday, in a very quick turnaround to the UK - I only ordered on March 28. I promptly screwed on the aggressive head and loaded a Kai Protouch MG blade. This was extremely simple; I did use the tool, but this was unnecessary. The floating blade did strike me in the first instance as a little precarious, but it is, in fact, held in place well.

None of the concerns I had about this razor were remotely an issue. It is well-built and finished; blade loading and compatibility are fine, and I had little trouble with shaving in each direction under the nose.

I ended up with a great, effortless shave. The floating blade and design of the razor give a lot of feedback, and it bears a lot of similarities to the shave given by the OneBlade Genesis - without the FHS-10! I also think that more aggressive Artist Club blades would be made much more agreeable in this razor.

All in all, the best purchase I have made in a very long time, and it will be getting regular use.

My original Occam's Razor arrived yesterday, in a very quick turnaround to the UK - I only ordered on March 28. I promptly screwed on the aggressive head and loaded a Kai Protouch MG blade. This was extremely simple; I did use the tool, but this was unnecessary. The floating blade did strike me in the first instance as a little precarious, but it is, in fact, held in place well.

None of the concerns I had about this razor were remotely an issue. It is well-built and finished; blade loading and compatibility are fine, and I had little trouble with shaving in each direction under the nose.

I ended up with a great, effortless shave. The floating blade and design of the razor give a lot of feedback, and it bears a lot of similarities to the shave given by the OneBlade Genesis - without the FHS-10! I also think that more aggressive Artist Club blades would be made much more agreeable in this razor.

All in all, the best purchase I have made in a very long time, and it will be getting regular use.
Terrific! Glad it's working well with the three-dot head and the Protouch blades. So far, I've only used the two-dot head and essentially just the Feather Pros. I'll have to try your combo when I get back home from this long trip. My OREN was waiting here in Brooklyn, NY, when I arrived. I'm three shaves in here, and no nicks, weepers, or irritation, and very nice, close shaves. Your description- "great, effortless shaves" may be the most accurate description of this razor yet.

@Rob72 said something similar- "I don't reach for the Oren as much because it is just so darn good. Easy, consistent, reliable. It gives the best shave with the least concentration."

An easier to wield razor is a big plus for me. Especially, with two little ones under five running around here trying to see what Grampa is up to :001_rolle .

@xiletero Glad it's working out for you with the Feather Pro Supers. The extra .2mm blade depth should change the shave some. I'll give the Supers a go when I get back home.

what's the diff between the O.R.E.N and the Occam?

A few slight enhancements as taken from their website:

“What is new with the O.R.E.N. Razor? For starters these razors are hand machined and assembled in the USA. We have reduced the razors guard by over 50% from the original Occam's Razor! This allows for easier maneuverability in the tougher to reach areas like under your nose. Additionally we have machined out the inside of the handle allowing for enhanced handling of the razor with less chance of slips.“

I can’t verify 100% as I only have the OREN and Hiram, but I think it sounds right based on pictures...Definitely regarding the guard and handle anyway. [emoji2369]

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t verify 100% as I only have the OREN and Hiram, but I think it sounds right based on pictures...Definitely regarding the guard and handle anyway.
proxy.php
I have both razors and it's a very accurate description. Although the differences are small I think the OREN is definitely an improvement.

Eric

I have both razors and it's a very accurate description. Although the differences are small I think the OREN is definitely an improvement.

Eric
As @glassmtn99 and @hins2jw0 said the description above is quite accurate. The OREN handle is hollowed out by further machining and the guards are reduced in depth. Otherwise, it's the same razor. So far, only a week with the OREN, the shaves are really similar- very close, easy, and fun shaves. TBH- I'm not feeling a significant difference between the two versions. With the original version it felt like I was placing more of the front or middle of the razor's head to my face before a stroke, and with the OREN version I feel more like I'm putting the middle or rear of the head down before a stroke. The shave itself feels very much the same- an easy stroke just letting the blade do its thing. Overall, from what I've read it seems the consensus of those who have both versions feel that the OREN is an improvement. I'll be using the OREN for the time I'm in New York, then when I get back to Reno I'll do one shave with both versions to see if I notice any other difference. IMHO these are fine SE razors for those who like artist club blades.

Top Bottom