What's new

Occam's Razor at 50% off for 24 hours

Note that this is the first version, not the second one. IMO the second version is a better razor. But it is a great price and the first version is still a very good razor.

eric

Note that this is the first version, not the second one. IMO the second version is a better razor. But it is a great price and the first version is still a very good razor.

eric
You are correct - I did not notice this. I have Version 2 which I really like, but can not comment on the first version. Everything I have read V2 is an improvement over the original.

Looks like a potato peeler

You are not the first person to express this observation. While it certainly isn't an elegant looking razor like some of the old school Gillette DE's, it is functionally a very good one. For those who are not familiar with it, it comes with three plates each with a different level of aggression. I use the mildest plate and enjoy very close and very comfortable shaves. Where v1 differs from v2 is the handle and the safety bar comb. V2 has a skeletonized handle (which IMO provides a better grip) and a shorter safety bar comb which makes it easier to shave under the nose.

But the v1 sale price is the lowest I have ever seen. If I already did not own a v1 and two v2 razors I would jump on it.

eric.

Is this a good starter SE? Will it take the Gillette blades?

I think it is a great starter SE razor provided that you are looking for one that uses the Feather Pro AC style blades. It takes the Feather SE AC series, the KAI SE AC, and the Schick Proline AC blades. The blades are more expensive than DE blades, but they last much longer, at least for me. I get 3 shaves from a DE blade and 10+ shaves from the AC style SE blades. I think the Feather Pro blades ususally sell for about $15 so for me it ends up costing maybe 15 cents per shave. I have read that many folks get 20 shaves per blade with these AC style blades.

eric.

I think it is a great starter SE razor provided that you are looking for one that uses the Feather Pro AC style blades. It takes the Feather SE AC series, the KAI SE AC, and the Schick Proline AC blades. The blades are more expensive than DE blades, but they last much longer, at least for me. I get 3 shaves from a DE blade and 10+ shaves from the AC style SE blades. I think the Feather Pro blades ususally sell for about $15 so for me it ends up costing maybe 15 cents per shave. I have read that many folks get 20 shaves per blade with these AC style blades.

eric.

Well, that is definitely good news. I have been looking at getting a Gillette L, but for $30.00 more if this would be the better choice, then why not? :)

Well, that is definitely good news. I have been looking at getting a Gillette L, but for $30.00 more if this would be the better choice, then why not?

NOTE: The Schick L is an injector razor. The Occam's razor is not an injector razor. It uses the wider AC style blades. IMO, the AC style blades are the best blades I have every used. But injectors have many, many fans. If you are looking for an injector look elsewhere.

eric

NOTE: The Schick L is an injector razor. The Occam's razor is not an injector razor. It uses the wider AC style blades. IMO, the AC style blades are the best blades I have every used. But injectors have many, many fans. If you are looking for an injector look elsewhere.

eric

Thank you for the heads up Sir!

You are correct - I did not notice this. I have Version 2 which I really like, but can not comment on the first version. Everything I have read V2 is an improvement over the original.

Also take note the $55 is for the “bare bones” kit which only comes with the 2 dot plate. This is how I got mine. Just something to think about. I actually got the OREN first, and had already decided the 3 dot was the way to go. You can still grab an extra for $15 extra if you think you would prefer a different base plate. For some reason I like the original a touch better. I think it’s more comfortable to hold. And the amount they took off of the blade guard honestly doesn’t make that big of a difference for shaving under my nose. Just my 2 pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom