What's new

OC Head

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Looking at this head the teeth on the one side look different to me .
any Ideas why ? or is it just me \/
$s-l1600 oc.jpg /\ /\

They look identical to me. Could it be that camera angle and lighting conspire to hide the slants between the teeth on the dark side?

Or is it different due to the Dark Side of the Force?

appears the copper colored area of the comb vice the brass side is your remark. I'm thinking the previous owner(s) may have either had a preference or defaulted to one using one side of the assembly more often than the other...

(other wise we're going way out on a limb considering the idea someone had to reconstruct a failed base and did so with astonishing skillz)

:popc:

/edit oh, here's a thought: perhaps it was their nature to place the same side of the base down - and in touch with something which supported a low grade electrolysis.

The more I look at it, the more it appears to be and optical conclusion or possibly a fig newton of my imagination.:lol:

My bet is also on an optical illusion. But it might be possible to get asymmetric teeth if the machinery failed in the right way. Here is how they did it in England in 1938:

Operations on the Guard

The guard is machined from an extruded brass strip of the approximate cross-section, the material being of approximately 66/33 composition. An interesting method for slitting the material to length has been developed by the Gillette works, and the machine employed for this operation is shown in Fig. 10. The machine consists essentially of a rotating drum, grooved longitudinally on the periphery to receive the stock A, which is held in position by curved spring clamps.

The stock passes under a gang of saws carried on a horizontal arbor, so that all the pieces are cut from each strip simultaneously. Lateral grooves in the surface of the drum provide the necessary clearance for the saws. The output from this machine is as many as 10,000 pieces per hour.

Another interesting machine made in the factory is used to cut the teeth in the guard, and is shown in Fig. 11. The machine provides for bringing the guard blanks into contact with two gangs of cutters which cut the teeth on either side of the blank simultaneously. The two horizontal arbors, each carrying twelve saw cutters, are enclosed, and are geared together. Collars separate the various cutters on the two arbors, the cutters being about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and revolving at a speed of 2,400 rpm.

In operation the work-piece A is located by a pin which engages the centre hole, and by ridges which engage the axial slits. As the ram C rides upwards to the saws the work is gripped by the two hook clamps B and is thus held in position by spring tension. Two small rods pass through the ram and project from the face of the work-locating pad when the ram is at the bottom of its stroke, thus serving to eject the work, which drops down the chute D in the ram. A production rate of 1,000 pieces per hour is obtained from the machine. The operator uses a pair of tongs to handle the work-pieces, as shown.​

That pin and ridge system sounds like it should ensure consistent teeth. Or maybe the spring tension did that? Either way, what if something bent the pin or something went wrong elsewhere in the mechanism? It might be possible to produce some asymmetric guard plates before the problem was noticed and corrected. Then some of those might make it out of the factory. Maybe. But my guess is this has more to do with the lighting in that photo.

It looks like the teeth on the Gillette-branded side have a bit longer horizontal part. That would exclude "caused by usage", because that would shorten the bent part. Never seen something like this though.

Top Bottom