What's new

obsolete items your kids will never recognize

Nah, kids are smart, they probably know what a cassette tape is, they are just fun to unravel! And records will pretty much always be around for audiophiles. It really depends on how inquisitive they are too. Taking a tape apart sounds like she is inquisitive and that's a good thing!

Anyone remember when a computer with a 1gb hard drive was amazing? I do lol!

Last edited:
Sadly this...

$Cursive.svg.jpg

Nah, kids are smart, they probably know what a cassette tape is, they are just fun to unravel! And records will pretty much always be around for audiophiles. It really depends on how inquisitive they are too. Taking a tape apart sounds like she is inquisitive and that's a good thing!

Anyone remember when a computer with a 1gb hard drive was amazing? I do lol!

My first computer had a 20mb hard drive in it. On a Macintosh Plus

Magazines and newspapers. A friend of mine was telling me his niece who is around 3 was given a magazine. She looked at a picture and kept pushing on it, finally she looked at he mother and said, "It's broken" she thought it was like an I-Pad app. The large local newpaper is looking at going to 3 days a week and going to a smaller size. I wonder in 5 years if they will survive.

A home cooked dinner. I bought a box of pizza crust mix, and the young cashier exclaimed "You're going to make pizza from scratch?!?! That looks so HARD!" Ummm... No. If I was going to make a pizza from scratch I would have bought Gold Medal flour, a packet of yeast, and eggs.

A manual transmission. Seriously, how often do you see those anymore (unless its a sports car).

An overhead projector. The staple of my school years.

Attachments

• $projector_overhead1.jpg
    $projector_overhead1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 282
Ash trays in armrests (at the barber's, on planes, etc.).

Manual car window cranks.

Peanuts???:scared:

Thats a good point, my son's school has specific instructions to make sure any and all food is peanut free. I don't know if I knew anyone with a peanut allergy when I was growing up.
My car has manual window cranks

Televisions with knobs.

Ha, The family tv was a huge wood cabinet model from about 1976, that tank lasted into the 90's.

I have an old disposable flash cube that I've saved just to show my daugher.

Remember those?

How about film cameras in general? try explaining to your kids why there's no preview image after you take a picture.

Speaking of tapes, I guess kids don't make mix tapes for their crushes these days. no more dubbing songs for 2 hours, now its probably "Hey, I made you a playlist in itunes."

Last edited:
A life before texting, 24/7 online presence, (over)sharing of information on facebook, etc. Everybody is so plugged in nowadays...

A life before texting, 24/7 online presence, (over)sharing of information on facebook, etc. Everybody is so plugged in nowadays...

How about going to library to look things up for school reports? Before google we had to go to a library and read books about subjects that interested us and we had to figure out everything on our own.
Gosh, how we did suffer.

How about going to library to look things up for school reports? Before google we had to go to a library and read books about subjects that interested us and we had to figure out everything on our own.
Gosh, how we did suffer.

I HATED THE LIBRARY! I remember i was at the age where internet was becoming prominent and google was out; I actually turned from a D student to an A student in 3 classes. I hate leaving my house....im a recluse/troll/freak. lol

I also think allot of things are being rediscovered.
A friend of mine was deployed and I got to host a slumber party for his daughter and her friends.
After the usual giggling and demands for random items at one point It got to quiet in the living room and I poked my head in to see if the girls had discovered zen meditation or human sacrifice.
the girls had procured a old lap to of mine and discovered the Old time radio shows.
They sat in sat in rapt attention in the dark listening to "The Whistler"
and Mystery theater.

Last edited:
Top Bottom