What's new

Obsessive shaving with sub-par blades.

For some reason I wanted Bic blades to be better than they are. I mean, they're ok and cheap but I wanted to really like them. If they were as good as Derbys I'd've probably bought hundreds

Great Idea, I'll do the same for those useless Derbys

Eh?
I shied away from Derbys since starting with DEs, mostly because they're Turqoise and cheap (I know) but got some as an extra the other day in a trade and like them a lot- sharper than Wilkies, smoother than Astras, more forgiving than Feathers, last longer and cheaper than Yellow 7s. Wondering if I should try the Red Personnas.

I went through this a while back, masochist behaviour for sure, we are putting ourselves through bad experiences when we don't have to. I get excellent shaves from Derbys though because I had a couple packs of Merkurs, Astras, Wilks and Feathers around I kept using those.

I found the worst of that lot to be the Merkurs. So whenever I needed a new blade which ones did I reach for? Yup you guessed it, the Merkurs! I PIF'd all my blades except the Derby's and now I am in shaving heaven.

- Aaron

Eh?
I shied away from Derbys since starting with DEs, mostly because they're Turqoise and cheap (I know) but got some as an extra the other day in a trade and like them a lot- sharper than Wilkies, smoother than Astras, more forgiving than Feathers, last longer and cheaper than Yellow 7s. Wondering if I should try the Red Personnas.

I bought 100 Derby blades when I first started DE shaving. I would load them up in my nice shiny new Weshi and shave away. Well it being my first foray into DE shaving my technique sucked and my face suffered. Eventually I gave away the Weshi and purchased some high quality razors and soaps. I rarely had a shave without weepers or irritation. I was about to throw all of my DE equipment into the trash and go back to the 5 bladed wizbang until I decided to try the Red Personnas. :thumbup1: After the first shave I couldn't believe my face actually felt.. GREAT!!! I tried again the second day and same result. Great shave! I Literally threw the box of Derby under the sink. That was about a year ago. I still from time to time load up a Derby thinking it must be something that I was doing but at the end of the day I find they are just not compatible with my face.

So what are these absolutely horrid blades? I want to know exactly how much pain you are putting yourself through so I can either congratulate you for frugality, or tell you you're crazy :lol:.

So what are these absolutely horrid blades? I want to know exactly how much pain you are putting yourself through so I can either congratulate you for frugality, or tell you you're crazy :lol:.

:lol::ciappa::lol:

The really horrible ones;
Quick 5b (NOS), Rotbard ED (old ones too),Derby, Lucky mince (why did I have to buy 3 packs just because I never heard of those?),Gillette Bleue Extra(russian made) and Gillette super silver.

Just bad;
7A.M., WSC, Dorco st-301, and a little better; Sharp and Dorco st-300/Daiso.

Usefull but not 1st choice (nor 2nd btw);
Astra (SP and Keramiks) which are not good enough to justify the remaining 70 blades in my drawer. Elios, Hema and Nacet.

Missed a few and still have a couple of unknown & unused waiting. I seem to be "alergic" to most of the Gillette/ P&G blades maybe because of the oil they use on their blades. Only the astra's and most of all nacet are a lot better.

Top Bottom