What's new

Obsessive shaving with sub-par blades.

I think I've developped a new kind of disorder. Well, don't know if it is new but I didn't see anybody mentioning it before.

This is the case; in the last years I've tried about 30 different blades and stocked the ones that were really good so there are between 500 and 600 great blades at hand.
But I also have the leftovers of my RBAD; at least 20 packages with 3 to 9 blades left. Some are just mediocre and some are simply horrible. Time and again I pick one of those blades to load my razor; there is no need since I have enough good blades for the next decade but I simply can't stand it to waste all of those other blades.
Even when I know the shave is not going to be great I still use them. Well, at least the mediocre ones; the really bad ones remain in the drawer.

Anybody else having this disorder too ?

It is kinda sick isn't it ? :out:

Even when I know the shave is not going to be great I still use them. Well, at least the mediocre ones; the really bad ones remain in the drawer.

My solution for sub-par blades is to either

1. Give them away when I sell a razor

2. Use them on the first pass only, toss, then switch to a better blade.

Luckily, the only sub-par blade I own now is the Feather.

I am still going through my sample pack but plan to go back to the horrible blades again, as I figure it might be my own lack of skills that hacked my face up and not the blades fault.. but i will admit to be a bit scared of the derby blades as they destroyed my face..

Masochism has nothing to do with I think; would be a first ! :biggrin:

When I know somebody else likes them I gladly give them away; got about 70 Derby's for free and luckily I could pass them on to somebody that can get great shaves out of those. But I find it a bit hard to give blades away to other human beings that really s**k for me.

There are indeed also a few blades that might improve when I get to know them better but on the other hand I am pretty sure after 20 years of DE that I've got my technique in order (keep on learning every day but the days of the BIG improvements are long long gone).

I just can't stand it to throw them away unused.

Last edited:
I think what you describe is actually a very admirable trait. It probably is linked to taking nothing for granted and appreciating your good fortune in life. Do you throw food away, or tuck it away in a tupperware container for another day? I would bet the latter. Throwing an unused razor blade away, even one of mediocre quality simply rubs you the wrong way (no pun). It doesn't sit right with you, nor does it with me. Another thought. You paid for those mediocre blades. It was a decision you made. Money was spent. Now, because they're not optimum, do you simply, like a spoiled brat, chuck them? No. That would be cavalier. Rather, you made a decision, maybe not the best one, but you will accept the consequences and plod through. Good man. I completely agree. There also of course is a neurotic element to all of this, but leave that for another day. Cheers Tailbeard, great post!

i think what you describe is actually a very admirable trait. It probably is linked to taking nothing for granted and appreciating your good fortune in life. Do you throw food away, or tuck it away in a tupperware container for another day? I would bet the latter. Throwing an unused razor blade away, even one of mediocre quality simply rubs you the wrong way (no pun). It doesn't sit right with you, nor does it with me. Another thought. You paid for those mediocre blades. It was a decision you made. Money was spent. Now, because they're not optimum, do you simply, like a spoiled brat, chuck them? No. That would be cavalier. Rather, you made a decision, maybe not the best one, but you will accept the consequences and plod through. Good man. I completely agree. There also of course is a neurotic element to all of this, but leave that for another day. Cheers tailbeard, great post!

+1

I think what you describe is actually a very admirable trait. It probably is linked to taking nothing for granted and appreciating your good fortune in life. Do you throw food away, or tuck it away in a tupperware container for another day? I would bet the latter. Throwing an unused razor blade away, even one of mediocre quality simply rubs you the wrong way (no pun). It doesn't sit right with you, nor does it with me. Another thought. You paid for those mediocre blades. It was a decision you made. Money was spent. Now, because they're not optimum, do you simply, like a spoiled brat, chuck them? No. That would be cavalier. Rather, you made a decision, maybe not the best one, but you will accept the consequences and plod through. Good man. I completely agree. There also of course is a neurotic element to all of this, but leave that for another day. Cheers Tailbeard, great post!

+1 I am the same and feel guilty about replacing a blade after 6 shaves, knowing I could have eked out a few more shaves from it.

I can't seem to get a comfortable shave out of a Derby but yet I still shave with them from time to time. Afterwards my face feels like an iron has been placed on it. I've had my razor loaded with different blades by another person so I couldn't see what blade I was actually using so my rating of that blade wouldn't be influenced. I've always known when there was a Derby loaded. I still have at least 50 of the wretched blades but I'll get through them eventually...

What an interesting thread! It raises psychological and philosophical questions. Whether tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad blade, yadda yadda. My brother has bought several disastrous stocks, won't unload them. His attitude: "I bought the damn stuff, I will go down with the ship!" Me, I have never had the problem to that extent because I buy only small samples of an unknown blade, to see if I like it before I invest much in it. I don't use the bad ones, or toss them out. They just sit there. One day I will have to decide, I guess. As to Derbies, they tear my face up too. I only used two (thought the first one might be an anomaly) and never touched them again. Yet some guys swear by them.

Nicely said, Darjeeling Express, you put a smile on my face. :001_smile
But you are spot on about the food too; no good food is being spoiled in our family.
But good food can make a great lunch the next day, and a shaving soap which is not top notch can still give a decent shave whereas harsh blades remain harsh blades. The funny thing is that a package of 10 good ones is gone in no time while a 5 pack of pullers seem to have an eternal life !:biggrin:

I think I've developped a new kind of disorder. Well, don't know if it is new but I didn't see anybody mentioning it before.

This is the case; in the last years I've tried about 30 different blades and stocked the ones that were really good so there are between 500 and 600 great blades at hand.
But I also have the leftovers of my RBAD; at least 20 packages with 3 to 9 blades left. Some are just mediocre and some are simply horrible. Time and again I pick one of those blades to load my razor; there is no need since I have enough good blades for the next decade but I simply can't stand it to waste all of those other blades.

It is kinda sick isn't it ? :out:

Well I can share. Maybe its to do with being obsessed to be as frugal as can be. I buy many of the cheaper Indian blades and every once in a while get attracted to buying and using them. The funny part is that while I shave I also curse how rough they are compared to the higher quality onces, yet the obsession continues...

I give them to my friends to try. Of course I'll tell them that they're not my favorite or even that I hate the blade beforehand. Some of them like to have many different blades at hand, even if they don't use them, like I do.

i share ur obsession as well Harrie. I have been trying out cheap blades one pack a time. Some horrible ones simply dull with one or two uses which in anycase i use one a day and be glad to exhaust them in quick time.

Meanwhile ... I still got an unopened pack of blades from India that has no english on it.

Ryan

Thank you guys for all the input and it is good to see I am not the only one out there.

It's your face, why would you purposely hurt it?

Well I do know when to stop so no ATG's and no DFS; the shaves are just not comfortable and all I am aiming for is a presentable result (as long as you don't come too close ....).

I know the feeling, I was so amazed down in the US visiting my parents at Wal-Mart Personna blades for 10 for a dollar, so I stocked up on probably 150, but then I get home and realize they suck.

I try to be the opposite of a packrat and not amass stockpiles of anything in hopes I'll use it someday, so I've just been using them for a shave and tossing them after a single one. They aren't absolutely horrible or anything, but they are quite rough compared to the Derby blades of which I've got 200, second best blade I've tried after Feather but the better shave of Feathers isn't worth spending four times more per blade give or take.

Maybe I'll just chuck them though one day because life is too short to have mediocre shaves just to feel like I've got my money's worth out of $20 worth of blades.

Top Bottom