What's new

Obscure or unappreciated old or older American soaps?

Hi all! Newb here but read a lot around here and I can't seem to find the answers. So, first:

1. What is the oldest American shave soap still in production? Not Williams obviously unfortunately discontinued. Like Marvy maybe? (Also preferably not artisan unless it's from the 50s or older thereabouts)

2. Looking for as original a recipe as possible but mostly years of production.

3. I don't really care about quality just age and American for this topic.

4. I heard Marvy (the soap) was started in 1936 and is the same. Is this true? And what are the ingredients?

Thanks all! Can't wait to hear from yall!

If you get some free time, Check out the shaving soap forum. Vast amounts of shaving soap data and knowledge can be found there. 3017 thread is especially interesting to me, but as in everything shaving related, YMMV.

Welcome to B&B. Williams really was the last of the old school shaving soaps with broad distribution. If you are looking for a made in USA soap you might want to try Van Der Hagen Luxury that is sold in many grocery and drug stores. It is a different melt and pour based product versus the tallow based Williams.

I you want an old school tallow based shave soap my recommendations would be to try an Arko shave stick (Turkey) or Mitchell's Wool Fat (U.K.). Both provide excellent performance. Arko is the closest replacement to Williams as a budget $1-2 per stick product. It lathers more easily and has a stronger aroma than Williams. Mitchell's lathers in similar fashion to Williams and has lanolin for enhanced post shave feel and a milder and pleasing soap scent.

For more just go through the various threads on the topic here at B&B.

Probably Ivory...they used to claim you could shave with it anyhow. ;) I've never heard of Marvy or seen it anywhere. I don't know the history of Van Der Hagen, but I'm pretty sure it was around when I started shaving with a DE 30 years ago. It was my first brush but I used Williams and canned foam back then (mostly foam).

Welcome to B&B. Williams really was the last of the old school shaving soaps with broad distribution. If you are looking for a made in USA soap you might want to try Van Der Hagen Luxury that is sold in many grocery and drug stores. It is a different melt and pour based product versus the tallow based Williams.

I you want an old school tallow based shave soap my recommendations would be to try an Arko shave stick (Turkey) or Mitchell's Wool Fat (U.K.). Both provide excellent performance. Arko is the closest replacement to Williams as a budget $1-2 per stick product. It lathers more easily and has a stronger aroma than Williams. Mitchell's lathers in similar fashion to Williams and has lanolin for enhanced post shave feel and a milder and pleasing soap scent.

Thanks! I use VDH aftershave balm and I like it. I'm not particularly looking for performance mostly history and an experience. Right now I'm using La Toja and I like it as well but its thirsty also I think its made in Germany or something not Spain anymore 😐. I don't know VDH actual history but I doubt its the same recipe though I'm not apposed to trying it. Its cheap and available everywhere. I heard they started in 1907 or 05 something like that.

Probably Ivory...they used to claim you could shave with it anyhow. ;) I've never heard of Marvy or seen it anywhere. I don't know the history of Van Der Hagen, but I'm pretty sure it was around when I started shaving with a DE 30 years ago. It was my first brush but I used Williams and canned foam back then (mostly foam).
Marvy is an ultra cheap, like, wholesale soap like scalpmaster or something. That's what I mean by obscure not many people know about it. There's like only 3 shave reviews of it on YouTube. I heard it was made in 1936 and is the same formula. Some blogger said its the williams replacement. But I don't know ingredients or actual history.

Marvy is an ultra cheap, like, wholesale soap like scalpmaster or something. That's what I mean by obscure not many people know about it. There's like only 3 shave reviews of it on YouTube. I heard it was made in 1936 and is the same formula. Some blogger said its the williams replacement. But I don't know ingredients or actual history.
Interesting! I just googled it. There's a bunch for sale on ebay and at a couple of shaving stores. It is cheap. Might be fun to try out.

Interesting! I just googled it. There's a bunch for sale on ebay and at a couple of shaving stores. It is cheap. Might be fun to try out.
I know right? Also I heard scalpmaster which is also super cheap started in 1948. But thats just hearsay as well and the few people I've seen try it think its worse than marvy. I also get made in China vibes from it...

I definitely love the idea of trying both arko and mwf. They both seem to have a cult following and are classics! Just not what I'm looking at yet.

If you get some free time, Check out the shaving soap forum. Vast amounts of shaving soap data and knowledge can be found there. 3017 thread is especially interesting to me, but as in everything shaving related, YMMV.
Thanks for the suggestion! Lots to read yet...

People shaved long before Old Spice, but I can't think of any names...
All of my grandfathers shaved with old spice🥲 that is what I want. Not the artisan clones though I will try them all someday. I know I can get vintage stuff online or even in antique stores but I hate using up vintage soap, not that I mind others doing it I just can't bring myself to doing it.🥴

Thanks! I use VDH aftershave balm and I like it. I'm not particularly looking for performance mostly history and an experience. Right now I'm using La Toja and I like it as well but its thirsty also I think its made in Germany or something not Spain anymore 😐. I don't know VDH actual history but I doubt its the same recipe though I'm not apposed to trying it. Its cheap and available everywhere. I heard they started in 1907 or 05 something like that.
Not sure when it started. It used to be called Surry soap. You can find some old posts on it. Make sure you try the Luxury version that goes for around $5, not the cheaper Deluxe version. Former has glycerin unlike the Deluxe. Big difference in slickness.

Not sure when it started. It used to be called Surry soap. You can find some old posts on it. Make sure you try the Luxury version that goes for around $5, not the cheaper Deluxe version. Former has glycerin unlike the Deluxe. Big difference in slickness.
Thanks! Will do.

Update: I emailed Marvy and Mr Scott Marvy himself said they didn't start making soap until the late 1990s and was temporarily discontinued last year, but he says they plan on picking back up again!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Colgate shaving soap in the "unappreciated" category. Colgate was widely available when I started wet shaving over 40 years ago. That stuff was bad--my face hurts just thinking about it. It was unappreciated because there was nothing to appreciate.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Colgate shaving soap in the "unappreciated" category. Colgate was widely available when I started wet shaving over 40 years ago. That stuff was bad--my face hurts just thinking about it. It was unappreciated because there was nothing to appreciate.
Definitely something I wish I could try. I can't bring myself to use vintage soap, not that I'm apposed to others doing it, in fact its fun to watch on YouTube.

barbasol 1919 red imp aqua velva ice blue january 14 2021.jpg

Top Bottom