What's new

Obscure brands.

Wow u guys are finding n getting stuff I can barely believe even exists!

Yes sir, I am always surprised when I find little if any use, original finish straight razors. Finding them requires many hours of research using various search words. So this razor has to be at least 113 years old.

The John Holler/Tower was used from 1867-1906. STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Barber's Gem, The Tower Brand 200.

Donahue Hardware has its own history.
Donahue Hardware | Historic Tours & Markers | Erie County Historical Society

Damn Cool congrats buddy!

I hope one day I'll have the time to research such stuff. For not it's just the rat race...

I just liked the way this one looked it says Eller Bros. Salina Kans. Germany. I thought the Zeppelin was killer on this one and quite unique. Lots of details and designs on this on that pictures don’t show. Any info would be helpful on this one.

Larry

DE0929A4-96FC-453F-94A3-B65E0F63BDBB.jpeg
F35E6A27-CB1F-40B0-94EF-B9A5F17C2BB2.jpeg

Very nice! I would say the date would be between 1891 and 1914, and I've been to Salina, Kansas but that's about all I know.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I’m finishd with my collection. Now it’s time to use them and keep them maintained.
And I am just getting started, just picked up another Geneva like the one @Twelvefret helped me find. It is a No. 25, will post a pic when I get it cleaned up. Any ideas on how to shine up the scales? One side had a bunch of junk on it and I rubbed it off with 1200 w/d sandpaper.

And I am just getting started, just picked up another Geneva like the one @Twelvefret helped me find. It is a No. 25, will post a pic when I get it cleaned up. Any ideas on how to shine up the scales? One side had a bunch of junk on it and I rubbed it off with 1200 w/d sandpaper.
I used 2500 wet dry sandpaper with water sparingly

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks FarnerTan,

I'm totally lost about them too.

The Bengall there might be some more info on it but the other 2 are a total mystery.

More pics of the Peckett

Another unknown at least to me, Hamburg Ring Extra hollow.

I love the latest stuff but some of this vintage gear is awesome!
Being able to shave with blades that date back 60-100++ years ago is truly amazing.
Did anyone ever give you the scoop on Hamburg Ring razors?

Did anyone ever give you the scoop on Hamburg Ring razors?

Hey buddy,

Nope but it's no bother, it's a great blade and shaves super. It happily buzzes along and it's as sharp as heck.

These vintage razors don't need to be bug brands to deliver super shaves.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey buddy,

Nope but it's no bother, it's a great blade and shaves super. It happily buzzes along and it's as sharp as heck.

These vintage razors don't need to be bug brands to deliver super shaves.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
The story is that the blades are Sheffield silver steel which the Germans considered superior to Sheffield so the blanks were produced in Sheffield and were ground in Germany which had the patent on hollow grinding technology where they used two wheels to grind both sides simultaneously. The Hamburg aspect is that the razor smiths were within the Hamburg Ring which was a defensive line around Hamburg built after the Napoleonic wars where the French waltzed into the undefended city. Pretty cool history. I have a Peter Willer Hamburg Ring that is an excellent razor

Rosseforp buddy,

When you get a really sharp, comfy blade the buzzes along happily it makes every shave really fun.

Both the Hamburg Ring and Prima Klang are examples of blades that really buzz when the mow through fuzz.

However, most extra hollow blades do buzz along well enough.

Happy shaves buddy,

Mawashi

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Rosseforp buddy,

When you get a really sharp, comfy blade the buzzes along happily it makes every shave really fun.

Both the Hamburg Ring and Prima Klang are examples of blades that really buzz when the mow through fuzz.

However, most extra hollow blades do buzz along well enough.

Happy shaves buddy,

Mawashi
I noticed it ringing when I did a HHT and the other razors I have didn't. Yeah, it did talk to me when I was shaving, kinda like the NSC does.
Prof

Top Bottom