What's new

Obscure brands.

Hi guys,

Finding and getting straights is like hunting for stuff in the wild wild West. You get the good the bad and the ugly plus a good dose of what's that???

There are tons of obscure brands for the uninitiated.

Pleass tell me if you know anything about these guys...
Exhibit 1 Peckett

Exhibit 2 Wielputz

Lastly a not quite so obscure Sheffield Bengall

Would appreciate any info, thanks guys,

Mawashi

Thanks FarnerTan,

I'm totally lost about them too.

The Bengall there might be some more info on it but the other 2 are a total mystery.

More pics of the Peckett

Another unknown at least to me, Hamburg Ring Extra hollow.

I love the latest stuff but some of this vintage gear is awesome!
Being able to shave with blades that date back 60-100++ years ago is truly amazing.

Those are all very nice blades, but I'm not able to find anything on them. Every one of them looks like they would be excellent shavers.

Thanks guys,

Missing pieces of history is what they are.

The Bengall is 5/8 the rest are 13/16 and they are all going to be great shavers being full hollows and 2 are hamberg rings.

It just bothers me that I can barely find any thing about them.

Cheers

Mawashi

I've read some posts on this forum and others about the Bengall razors. They don't fetch the price that some other well known names do but the are definitely highly regarded. A very nice razor that most would be happy to own.

The others I'm not familiar with but there are many like that out there. You'll find all kinds of other names stamped on razors. So many that some are certainly obscure. I usually look for the steel it's made from. Anything stamped with Sheffield or Soligen is going to be very good steel and a very nice razor. Just about everything Japanese are a safe bet to be great steel and an excellent shaver as well.

Some you'll likely never find info on but that Bengall has a following. A quick search on some of the shaving forums should yield you some results on that one.

I've read some posts on this forum and others about the Bengall razors. They don't fetch the price that some other well known names do but the are definitely highly regarded. A very nice razor that most would be happy to own.

The others I'm not familiar with but there are many like that out there. You'll find all kinds of other names stamped on razors. So many that some are certainly obscure. I usually look for the steel it's made from. Anything stamped with Sheffield or Soligen is going to be very good steel and a very nice razor. Just about everything Japanese are a safe bet to be great steel and an excellent shaver as well.

Some you'll likely never find info on but that Bengall has a following. A quick search on some of the shaving forums should yield you some results on that one.

They are very decent razors and great shavers of that I have no doubt.

Fingers crossed someone knows a bit more about them lol.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
0150E54A-2AE1-4164-A043-C0765EE65D20.jpeg
I can only speak to the Bengall. I have one in 6/8 and is one of my favorites. They are simply great razors. I liked it so much I had custom scales made for it. I read that they were heavily marketed in Australia. Here is a photo.

View attachment 944301 I can only speak to the Bengall. I have one in 6/8 and is one of my favorites. They are simply great razors. I liked it so much I had custom scales made for it. I read that they were heavily marketed in Australia. Here is a photo.

Very nice Steve,

Yes I read that somewhere too that bengalls are very common in Oz, so much so that if you used a straight it'll likely be a bengall

It's the rest that puzzling me lol

I'm new to this side so I can't help but they're very nice looking especially the first one. I stopped by a flea market on the way home today and I actually saw a razor with "The Favorite" on the blade but I don't remember who made it. I'll go back and look at it when I get a chance but it might be a few days, I went a little crazy today. :blush:

Here's one that I bought, I Googled it but came up with nada except it translates to "Two to fish". The symbol looks like 2 fish to me.

Still need to clean it.

2019-01-17 17.28.01.jpg

2019-01-17 17.28.08.jpg

2019-01-17 17.45.36.jpg

Wow nice find a Solingen blade.

I just was thinking this thread could become a thread for all the lost to history razors out there.

Just post pics n info on any of your razors that are as obscure as mine or yours lol!

My opinion on obscure brands: I suspect, and this is my hunch, that many of these lesser known brands were just contracted out by the bigger razor makers. There's literally hundreds and hundreds of different brands, and I really don't think there were hundreds of razor manufacturers around back then. I have read somewhere on here that the merry olde English razor makers would make Wade and Butcher one day, and the next would make Wostenholm, perhaps Rodgers the next day, and so on.

Perhaps but maybe not amongst the more established brands. Furthermore certain grinds were used by certain brands. Much like the differences in knives or cooking ware today.

If I were a razor maker I would only take on other brands if it doesn't affect my current contract and I had spare capacity.

My opinion on obscure brands: I suspect, and this is my hunch, that many of these lesser known brands were just contracted out by the bigger razor makers. There's literally hundreds and hundreds of different brands, and I really don't think there were hundreds of razor manufacturers around back then. I have read somewhere on here that the merry olde English razor makers would make Wade and Butcher one day, and the next would make Wostenholm, perhaps Rodgers the next day, and so on.

Many big manufacturers made rebrands to order for hardware, department stores or barber supply shops. Most of those did not have a mark identifying the manufacturer. One hardware brand I collect carries the Boker mark in addition to the stores branding. You can also find the same models with several different store names.

Top Bottom