What's new

Obligatory "First Straight Shave" Post

So, this is long overdue. You guys, the B&B community, have absolutely spoiled me. Under your tutelage I have not only upgraded my DE ways but I have fallen in love with the art of straight shaving. It's not an art for me yet :wink:

Or maybe it is, in the reductionist-modernist sense. That's being generous. There's nothing pretty about it yet except for the beautiful gear I've acquired! But the shaves, they are good! At least the sideburns which I've done thus far.

So with that, thanks to alabamalawyer for some great Omega boar brush/soap/AS additions. Much, much thanks to Ambrose for his beautiful http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96355&highlight=bruchand sharp-as-a-lightsaber T.Hessen Bruch german straight, circa late 1800's I believe? It's a beautiful razor, and barring any RAD, it'll be my one and only daily shaver! Also, stripec30 hooked me up with a Toni Miller Latigo/Fabric Artisan beauty of a strop for a great deal on BST! So yeah. Badger & Blade's BST and membership has been enormously helpful throughout the whole process.

I've been taking the time when I can to really take the time and learn. At this stage, I can pretty easily/quickly eliminate my sideburns/cheeks. The easy stuff. I haven't even gone for the chin/moustache/jawline/neck, more out of a desire to take my time than genuine fear. Yet at the same time, I kind of want to stay afraid so I respect the blade if you know what I mean.

So, my questions/concerns/observations.

1) I'm TERRIBLE with my left hand. I didn't feel safe/confident at all even holding the razor and making very small, deliberate passes on my cheek. Maybe it's bad form, but I felt very confident and smooth just taking over and doing everything with my right hand. Is this sacrilege? Is it stubborn/obstinate/silly to pursue the art of one-handed-ness?

2) For the chin area. With my DE, usually I suck my lip in kinda and puff out my chin if that makes sense. It pulls the skin taut and creates a nice "table" starting about a cm below my lip. Will this be sufficient for my straight as well? Does it just take practice to negotiate the natural angle changes around the chin?

3) Turning the razor around for ATG/neck. Are there any fundamentals about where to put the scales? i.e. in line with the blade, or maintaining the "L"? Is this dependent on my grip and also whether I'm learning to use my off-hand?

Wish me luck; I plan on going for gold in the next few days!

Last edited:
Congrats! Glad to here it is working out for you, I am looking into strait shaving, might go with a DE though. Good book too, very interesting.

1. I started using only my dominant right hand, but ive slowly moved to using my left hand about 30% of the time. Theres no reason you have to, but I do find it easier for some angles/passes. Just do it if/when youre feeling confident.

2. Practice. The trick to using straights is to work out where to stretch your skin, and where to move your blade on your face. Once youve got that sorted youre home free!

3. Use whatever grip lets you get the right angle. For the neck, I open it up so the handles are going straight away from the razor, for other passes I hold it kind of like a dart.

Congrats on the first shave, and good luck for the next one!!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Congrat on the first shave!

+1 on what Dunny said!

D.M.,
The left hand thing comes with time I was scared to even try at first now I can't figure out how to even do the left side of my face comfortably with only my right hand.

The chin is also a matter of experience and finding what works best for you. I have stubborn chin hair so I really have to pay attention to them and personally find that XTG works best for me.

Which leads to your last question in re:flipping the blade around , I saw recently different passes use different angles, 30 degree for wtg, 15 degree for across, and 0 /held flat against your face for against the grain, I feel a lot more confident with the razor against my neck when it is held flat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom