What's new

Obligatory First Post

Not new to wet shaving as I took up straight razor shaving years ago. Started collecting razors and flipped a bunch of them before things got too far out of hand, lol. Still have some Boekers, a Henckels and a CV Heljestrand for when I feel like enjoying my shave instead of just using my electric, which I dislike because it never does a good job on my neck and leaves a pretty nasty assortment of bumps. I use the electric for convenience's sake but take no pleasure in it. I started using the electric on my face and my straight on my neck.I enjoy straight razor shaving a lot better but have never had any of mine professionally honed/sharpened. Feel like I'm missing out there but just never got around to sending one in. When I do it will be my Boeker St. Regis.

Setting that aside, I felt like I might find a happy medium in terms of fun and convenience by getting a DE razor. I am making this post because I wanted to thank everyone here for being a valuable source of research. Hopefully not in error, I am acquiring the following:

- An Edwin Jagger DE razor.
- A 20 pack of Astra SP razor blades.
- A clubman styptic pencil.

I already have the following:

- This Van Der Hagen set that I bought well before I had any idea what I was doing. The brush sheds like crazy, but everything else was serviceable. The puck is long gone, replaced with Williams Mug Soap. I was thinking of replacing the brush with this. It was the cheapest "best" badger brush I could find and the reviews are very favorable. Any input, maybe?
- 2 strops. A new one that I cut to hell learning to strop that I kept because the obverse has compound on it and is not ruined, and a vintage strop that is in much better shape but is old and worn.
- Various and sundry other tonsorial items probably not of particular interest.

I have a two questions. I am utterly new to using a DE razor. Are there any pitfalls to avoid or good habits to cultivate just starting out that you wish you had been told as a newbie? I've read several primers and I'm hoping it will be easier than shaving with my straights. Also, am I missing anything that might be useful starting out?

Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I did not try that VDH set but it’s a start. Look around, ask questions and don’t be shy!

Welcome. With your experience you already know how a blade should feel. Go lightly and take your time. It’s all about angle. Use the same blade type for a couple weeks before you switch. The blades do make a difference but it’s helpful to have a baseline. Get a really good soap with a lot of residual slickness and that helps too. Practice practice practice! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I hoped there would be some overlap in terms of skill between straight and DE. I've read that the Astra SP blades are good all around. I wasn't planning on using the included blades straightaway. Is the Williams Mug soap gonna be good enough? I really haven't looked into what soaps are good.

Honestly, I can’t stress mapping the old face enough if you haven’t already. When you do a three pass shave, going with, across, and finally against the growth - can mean a great many different things depending on your face.

For me, running an alum block after each shave taught me more than I could have ever hoped. If you get stinging rubbing a quality alum over your face after a shave, it means that either the blade is dull, you‘ve applied too much pressure, you didn’t map your face properly... or all the above.

Welcome!

I'm going to have to look up "mapping" and find a good alum block!

Mapping is simply rubbing your hands over your beard to determine which way your beard is growing and then make a note of it. If you rub your hands and it is rough in a particular direction most likely is against the grain. The smooth side is with the grain.

Oh hey that sounds simple enough. Sounds like an opportunity to get to know my own face a little better.

Did I choose a decent razor? I'm pretty certain about my choice in blades but I had so many options in my price range and so many conflicting reviews that I don't feel 100% confident i made a good choice.

Oh hey that sounds simple enough. Sounds like an opportunity to get to know my own face a little better.

Did I choose a decent razor? I'm pretty certain about my choice in blades but I had so many options in my price range and so many conflicting reviews that I don't feel 100% confident i made a good choice.
Work on your technique more rather than worry about razors. Your choice of razor is fine for most individuals. When your technique is good you should be able to get a decent shave with any razor. I find that most individuals spend more time worrying about equipment rather than technique when it should be the opposite.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you have any skill with a straight I think you should do just fine with the setup you picked.

Welcome, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

FarmerTan

Work on your technique more rather than worry about razors. Your choice of razor is fine for most individuals. When your technique is good you should be able to get a decent shave with any razor. I find that most individuals spend more time worrying about equipment rather than technique when it should be the opposite.
Amen to that Brother!

Welcome aboard!

The DE89 has a solid reputation around here and is a good first choice. Regarding a brush, I would advise staying away from cheap badgers and purchasing a boar or a synthetic, as you’ll typically get more bang for your buck. For an inexpensive boar, I like Omega. 10066 is good for a smaller brush and 10048 or 10049 if you want a larger one.

FarmerTan

Welcome aboard!

The DE89 has a solid reputation around here and is a good first choice. Regarding a brush, I would advise staying away from cheap badgers and purchasing a boar or a synthetic, as you’ll typically get more bang for your buck. For an inexpensive boar, I like Omega. 10066 is good for a smaller brush and 10048 or 10049 if you want a larger one.
Yep, plus one on the boar.

Ackvil, thank you for your advice. I'll try not to get hung up on whether I picked the right tool and will work on my technique!

On your advice I will be picking up an Omega 10066. I like the look of it and maybe the stiffer bristles will coax a better lather out of this vintage Williams puck I'm using.

Will any 100 percent pure alum blocks work or are not all of them made equal?

Merry Christmas, FarmerTan!

FarmerTan

Ackvil, thank you for your advice. I'll try not to get hung up on whether I picked the right tool and will work on my technique!

On your advice I will be picking up an Omega 10066. I like the look of it and maybe the stiffer bristles will coax a better lather out of this vintage Williams puck I'm using.

Will any 100 percent pure alum blocks work or are not all of them made equal?

Merry Christmas, FarmerTan!
Never used the Alum, but there are sure to be dudes on here ready to fight over which brand is best!

You will find NO shortage of opinions here, but at least 99% of the time we are polite about it.

Never used the Alum, but there are sure to be dudes on here ready to fight over which brand is best!

You will find NO shortage of opinions here, but at least 99% of the time we are polite about it.

Maybe I'll hold off on that then? I have an aftershave that is working fine for me and I ordered a styptic pencil.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your journey with us. You have been given some great advice and I won’t bamboozle you with anymore.

Top Bottom