What's new

OB Hybrid users

Does anyone have some experience with this razor? Is it good? How does it shave compared to the Core?

Last edited:
The Hybrid is actually pretty good, much more efficient than the Core, smooth, and easy to use. I'm getting 4 good shaves per blade, but haven't used a KAI or GEM blade yet. The Hybrid is a keeper, and I had returned the Core.

Basically 95% of the Genesis, at a whole lot less money.

Just a little update for anybody considering the Hybrid over the Core or Genesis. Unlike the Core, which gave 1 decently good shave, then 1 meh shave, the Hybrid is good for 3 quite good shaves, and 1 that takes a bit more work on a single FHS-10 blade for me. - I have stiff gray growth, so there's absolutely a huge improvement over the Core I tried in 2017. It's actually possible to get a weeper or tiny nick with a Hybrid, if you're sloppy enough, and press way too much. (I've really been trying different things to see how it responds).

I also now have a couple of properly modified 'just right' GEM blades, with the correct half-moon enlargements using my dremel.....I see one of those metal punches in my future, just to make it quicker/easier to modify the blades. (Grinding takes a bit of time, and isn't the cleanest way to open up the cut-outs). Loading up a GEM seems to increase the efficiency of the first pass, but keeps the same comfort level and ease of use. Still really a 3 pass shave, but a very easy and quick one, no buffing required. If you're expecting Timeless 95 OC, R41, or Fatip efficiency, not going to happen, but if you're looking for Gillette Slim on maybe 7, or Rockwell, with total comfort, she's a joy to shave with. Close in efficiency to my Schick M1 (I use setting 7), but more comfortable, if that helps put it in perspective. Also a heck of a lot easier to use than my GEM Junior. especially around the mouth and upper lip.

I'll still use my M1 Injector, and various DEs, but the Hybrid may now my go-to weekday shaver, it just gives such a nice close and comfortable shave, even half asleep on those earlier mornings. I plan a comparison shave using the Hybrid on one side, and another razor on the other in the coming weeks.

The Hybrid is actually pretty good, much more efficient than the Core, smooth, and easy to use. I'm getting 4 good shaves per blade, but haven't used a KAI or GEM blade yet. The Hybrid is a keeper, and I had returned the Core.

Basically 95% of the Genesis, at a whole lot less money.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... I know we can alter GEM blades to fit, but what KAI blades fit????

KAI Best (FAS-10), they're carbon steel....not quite as smooth, particularly the 1st shave. They are drop in compatible, although they seem a bit tight, at least the .245 blades.

KAI Best (FAS-10), they're carbon steel....not quite as smooth, particularly the 1st shave. They are drop in compatible, although they seem a bit tight, at least the .245 blades.

Googling these, all I find is Feather Fas-10. Where are you finding them by Kai?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Unlike the Core, which gave 1 decently good shave, then 1 meh shave, the Hybrid is good for 3 quite good shaves, and 1 that takes a bit more work on a single FHS-10 blade for me. - I have stiff gray growth, so there's absolutely a huge improvement over the Core I tried in 2017. It's actually possible to get a weeper or tiny nick with a Hybrid, if you're sloppy enough, and press way too much.
I have the mostly the same experience as you, but I do get the same blade life regardless of Hybrid or Core. I get two good shaves and can get two lesser shaves.

To me, and I have used, and occasionally use carts. It's quite a bit closer than a Gillette Skin Guard but leaves my skin feeling as untouched as if I had shaved with a Skin Guard. So, it's a great recovery shaver if you tear yourself up with something more aggressive and it's a great carefree or don't have to think about the shave at all razor.

Top Bottom