What's new

Oats - Overnight oats that is!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Part 2 of the PB&J overnight oats.

To recap:
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 100 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 150 grams of frozen blueberries
10 grams of Powdered Peanut butter (PB&ME) and it was spot on. I possibly need to switch from blueberries to strawberries next time but 10 grams hits the spot for me!

Luc

Staff member
Part 3 of PB&J overnight oats (yeah, that's still going).

I changed the blueberries to frozen strawberries. They were disappointing, to be honest. We are entering the strawberry season and they are very watery compared to fresh strawberries. I will need to use some fresh ones and I have a pack of strawberries (still frozen) coming this week hoping they will taste better (during the off-season).

The experiment continues...

Luc

Staff member
Ok, Steel Cut oats. I'm starting to use that big bag (I'm not going to trash them, it's food).

I found a lot of recipes online and the ratios seem different in most recipes (oats vs liquids, 1 see 1:3 or 1:4 often).

I like my overnight oats so I tried to make overnight oats using 2 different recipes.

This time, I did what I never do: batch cooking. Since I eat oats 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), I made my 3 rations Sunday night.

recipe 1 (6 portions, I shared the remaining 3)
  • 240 grams steel cut oats (40 grams per portion)
  • 360 ml Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk (or use Almond milk, milk, what you like) - (120ml per portion)
  • 720 ml water - (240ml per portion)
recipe 2 (6 portions again, and I also shared 3)
  • 240 grams of steel-cut oats (40 grams per portion)
  • 360 ml cashew milk - (120ml per portion)
  • 360 ml water - (120ml per portion)
both recipes were cooked in the pressure cooker (I have a ninja foodie but an instant pot or any pressure cooker would do).
Cook time: 10 mins
Natural release: 10 mins (meaning, when it's cooked, turn off, don't touch the valve to release the pressure for 10 mins).

Results:
I did not see much of a difference between recipes 1 and 2. The next day, it got thicker and the oats were cooked properly.

For the first recipe, I used a pot in pot to avoid cleaning the big pot. Second I did not and it was easy to clean.

Recipe 2 is probably better. This Sunday, I will possibly try a 1:1 ratio (i.e. no water, just oats, and cashew milk). I shall see the result and report back(even if it burns, if you use regular milk, it might).

Batch cooking isn't something that I normally do but it worked well with the steel-cut oats since cooking 1 bowl at a time in the pressure cooker would be a pain.

Luc

Staff member
Same recipe with Rolled oats (no pre-cook like steel cut oats). Strangely, Quick oats, rolled and steel cut are all the same product but processed differently. They are not exactly the same. I'm fairly sure that I was eating rolled oats when I was a kid. I much prefer it now.

I prefer Rolled oats, the texture is better. I'm almost done with my bag of steel-cut oats and I have a few quick oats bags also that are open(This is what happens when more than one person eats some and doesn't always check if the last bag was finished or not). I will finish them and continue on Rolled oats after that. The package says to use 1 part oats for 2 parts liquids, I did the same ratio as quick oats (40 grams rolled oats + 120 ml cashew unsweetened vanilla milk).

Tomorrow is the Peanut butter - Raspberry oat. I changed my 10 grams of sliced almonds for 10 grams of dry roasted (no salt) peanuts. I also have 10 grams of PB2 (Powdered Peanut Butter) in there.

Luc

Staff member
New one this morning

Peanut butter Banana!

• 40 grams of oats
  • 120 ml of milk (cashew here)
  • 80 grams of banana (I had a small organic banana as I don't like using 1/2 a banana and a regular one is a lot)
  • 10 grams of powdered peanut butter (PB2)
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds (peanuts turn soggy after a few hours, since I only want to run off with the bowl, almonds are a better choice to add crunch!).
  • 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of honey. I don't usually add honey but I have a jar turning to sugar so I'm slowly using it.

When I mixed everything, I mashed the banana a bit. Surprisingly, the banana did not change color this morning (no black spots).

That's it! This one will be part of the rotation!

Luc

Staff member
I will buy some Chia Seeds this week and try to substitute the hemp seeds with Chia. See how everything goes. I will try to get the same amount of calories to swap them in the first round. I will then see how I adjust them (or if).

I've introduced Cinnamon and Nutmeg to my PB&Banana oats, taste like cake!

This week, I've found a protein powder that only has monk fruit as sugar (no stevia or sugar). I tried it just like that, very sweet. It's ready for Wednesday. I'm trying to up my proteins a bit.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do enjoy overnight oats fairly frequently in the summer, but there is precious little measuring. I use a mason jar and use a couple of generously loaded teaspoons of dried peanut butter. I do keep a 1/2 cup measuring cup in my Bob's Red Mill Oats and use that amount. I use two or three teaspoons of chopped walnuts and a generous handful of raisins and 3-4 pinches of sea salt, along with a bit of cinnamon. I cover the whole mess with some kind of milk (currently Pea milk), put the top on and enjoy a lively shake session.

In the morning I'll add some blueberries if I have them, and a squirt of honey. Eaten right from the jar with a long handled spoon.

Luc

Staff member
I need to give a pinch of salt a go. When I made the Steel-Cut oats in the pressure cooker, I added salt the first time but did not really notice a difference. I will try again.

I love oats! I remember a doctor I once had was insisting that I take medicine to lower my cholesterol, despite side effects and zero proof that it works. I told him I would eat oats and extra virgin olive oil (not together!) and lower it. He said it was impossible. In six months of eating a bowl of oats every day my cholesterol was in the normal level. It has remained so all of these years, too.

My favorite thing is to cook them in chicken broth, such as Heinz or etc. The chicken and oats go together fantastically. One of my friends makes his with chicken curry gravy, hot and spicy. Anyway, I can soak the oats overnight if I wish, but I like the texture of fresh cooked, personally. Another thing I do is to put oats in my ground beef or pork. It is heart healthy. Oats stay with me for hours and I don't get hungry for a very long time after eating them.

Luc

Staff member
Chia Overnight oats update.

So, I've switched the Hemp seeds (10grams) for 10 grams of chia seeds. It's not that much. I also added around 1 ounce of extra water.

I gave everything a good mix on Sunday and left it alone until this morning. The result is a bit thicker but not too much. I enjoyed it and will probably do it again. I still need to use up all my hemp seeds bags that I bought on special a few weeks ago.

I love oats, its my favorite breakfast and keeps me satisfied for many hours. I've been doing the same thing for many years with almost no measuring taking place. Since I eat it every day I like the small bit of variety that not measuring brings to the experience.

1/2 cup of oats, almost any kind will do. Sometimes Quacker, often Reds, or just a generic grocery store version. I dump that in a mason jar, cover the oats with Vanilla Silk (or as I call it, almond juice). As I get older I tolerate milk less, and I like the mild vanilla flavor. That sits in the fridge overnight. In the morning I add a sprinkle of cinnamon, and/or a teaspoon of honey. If we have a seasonal fruit on hand I might add a bit of diced peaches, raspberries, strawberry, whatever is fresh from the garden. A dried cranberry has been known to make the cut.

Thats my favorite part of oats, adding the latest fresh fruit. Its always good and different every week. Plus its healthy as all get out!!

I use a cup of rolled oats sprinkle in some cinnamon or five spice pinch of salt cover with water couple drops of stevia stir it up and nuke it for two minutes. No muss, no fuss.
I buy my oats from a local Amish store, $35.00 for 50#. Vacuum pack about a pound or so and have a good stash for Armageddon.

Oats every morning, for me. Last night I ate an additional bowl. I put some cinnamon, milk powder, and honey, and nuked it for 1 min 50 sec. Wonderful!

Did you know there are different kinds of cinnamon? Sri Lankan cinnamon is the only real cinnamon. It is good for you. It smells and tastes like those cinnamon candy Red Hots. It is great for cooking. The kind in the grocery stores is a different tree and it is more bitter. It is best in cinnamon rolls, etc.

Luc

Staff member
The oat adventure continues. Apple crumbles version 2 on Friday. I'm aiming at a peach cobbler next week.

Yesterday, I tried pumpkin spice but used sweet potato instead of pumpkin. I used the pressure cooker to cook the potato. I then removed the peel. I would probably cut it into smaller pieces next time so it cooks quickly.

I mashed the potatoes to have a more even texture with the oats. When pumpkins are not in season, this will be the alternative.

Luc

Staff member
Apple Crumble Overnight oats

• 40 grams of Oats (I used large flakes oats)
  • 10 grams of Chia Seeds
  • 18 grams of Botanica vanilla protein powder (that's half a scoop, a full scoop is too sweet for my liking)
  • 100ml of apple sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 20 grams of blueberries (mainly 4-5 blueberries to add a bit of color on top)

The sweetness was perfect for me but if you like it sweeter, a full scoop of protein powder or honey would do.

This one will go in the rotation for sure. Peach crumble is for next week. I was able to get some frozen peaches this week. The fresh peaches are now out of season (I missed them by 2-3 weeks). I plan to pretty much repeat the above recipe with peaches instead of apple sauce, no blueberries.

I might need to start a thread on my 10mins egg sandwich if that could help someone who needs something quick and needs to run out the door.

Luc

Staff member
Peach crumble Overnight Oats
  • 40 grams of Oats (I used large flakes oats)
  • 10 grams of Chia Seeds
  • 18 grams of Botanica vanilla protein powder (that's half a scoop, a full scoop is too sweet for my liking)
  • 130 grams of frozen peaches
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 20 grams of blueberries (mainly 4-5 blueberries to add a bit of color on top)

I probably watched 20-30 videos on youtube about this one (seems excessive I know). Some put some nutmeg, ginger, or another spice on top. I kept it simple with cinnamon. I also use vanilla-flavored cashew milk (unsweetened) so that I don't a drop or two of vanilla.

Anyways, one of the videos mentioned that you needed perfectly ripped peaches to do that otherwise it won't be great. Since this was an experiment, I didn't go fresh but will need to next time or cook them at least. Most of the peaches were a bit too "green" so not quite ready when they were picked and frozen.

The 2-3 bites that I had with a peach that was ready were great so I will try this one again but that peach needs to be ready.

I will also try to microwave the peaches for 30-60 seconds (I still have a bag of those frozen peaches) and see what happens.

Maybe canned peaches would be better?
YOu might also try dried peaches. They would soak up moisture overnight, I think.

Luc

Staff member
Maybe canned peaches would be better?
YOu might also try dried peaches. They would soak up moisture overnight, I think.
I'm afraid that all canned peaches that I have at my local grocery store are soaking in syrup. The dried one might be an option if I can find them without any added sugar.

If I bake them, they should soften a bit and possibly taste better. I will keep an eye to buy 2-3 peaches at the grocery but I don't think they are in season right now.

Top Bottom