What's new

Oats - Overnight oats that is!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was able to find a few Oats threads that were quite interesting:
I did not find a specific oatmeal thread that discussed the overnight oats. It's a simple and quick (depending on if you plan ahead) way to have breakfast ready when you get up in the morning. I am not an oat person or a cereal eater but since I discovered those, I eat them 3 times a week.

The recipe that I follow is simple (1 serving):
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla cashew milk (it's more tasty than water and I seem to have issues processing milk). I measure 120 grams on the scale using the "water ratio" which is 1 gram = 1 ml.
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 100 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 150 grams of frozen blueberries

I mix everything together in a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. It's ready to eat the next morning.

I tried Steel-cut oats but since they are not instant, the texture wasn't to my liking the next day (I like them mushy and it didn't taste cooked or ready I should say).

I also tried different nuts but the almonds are the best combo to bring some crunch back to the mushy texture (but not too much). Hemp seeds bring omega 3 so I think that's good for me, it doesn't do much in terms of texture.

I looked around and the basic overnight oat recipe seems to always be a 1:1 ratio of oats vs liquid. In my case, I have a bit more since 40 grams of oats is around 1/3 of a cup instead of 1/2 cup. I won't start on how the oat company says(on the bag) that 40 grams of oats equal 1/2 cup, that's a different story.

I gave the measurements in grams since I use a scale to prepare it after dinner. I do that in order to control my calorie intake. So far, I've been losing a decent amount of weight slowly and I believe that oats are helping a lot since the above recipe has a decent amount of calories (but not too much) and I feel full until lunchtime.

What's your overnight oat recipe?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
In the evening, right before bed, I forget about making breakfast other than readying things to make coffee. In the morning after a pot of coffee, if I decide to make oatmeal I heat 1 3/4 cups of water with a healthy pinch of salt and add a cup of oatmeal. I let it simmer, splash on a small bit of vanilla oat milk and add a little brown sugar. So the closest I get to overnight oats would be lying in bed and thinking about oatmeal. Kudos to you for being more thoughtful and proactive! BTW on the days I want steel cut oats, about twenty minutes or so yields good texture for me. I think I may make some oatmeal after another cup of coffee!

Luc

Staff member
I read here that I could try to soak my steel-cut oats overnight and then zap them. I will need to try that eventually as I have a 2kg pouch of steel-cut oats.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I read here that I could try to soak my steel-cut oats overnight and then zap them. I will need to try that eventually as I have a 2kg pouch of steel-cut oats.

I soak mine overnight. Cooks up quickly in a pan the next morning. Zapping them works too. 2Kg? That's a lot of horse feed.

Reactions: Luc
I love oats!!! I eat oatmeal every day!

My favorite oatmeal is with walnuts, raisins and a mashed up banana! No
Added sugar source but there is plenty in the banana and raisins for a great flavor.

My favorite brand is the Bob’s Red Mill organic, old fashioned. They are just the right texture for my liking.

I’ve always wanted to try overnight oats but never looked up a recipe. I might finally give it a shot.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Luc : my lovely best friend is on board.... But probably not on the "overnight" idea. We both know we need to up our game in the diet department. So morning fresh made oatmeal it will be.... Does it help in serum cholesterol levels, does anyone know? It would be nice to eliminate some meds!

There is really no good way to cut down on the time need for pinhead oats.
One can soak them cold over-night for some small time-saving. I've put them in boiling water, immediately turned the fire off and left them over-night, reducing the morning cooking time even further. Best results from simmering them 20 minutes the night before, leaving over-night, then cooking a further ten minutes in the morn.
I've never employed a microwave, don't like the results.
If you can't leave them out (lidded), because of hot weather or bugs, or because you used milk, let it cool down and stow the pot in the 'fridge.
Porridge oats keep well for a long time. Just throw in all the extra stuff in the morning.

Luc

Staff member
I soak mine overnight. Cooks up quickly in a pan the next morning. Zapping them works too. 2Kg? That's a lot of horse feed.
Sure is.

I also have some powdered peanut butter. It's quite good to make a peanut sauce.

I will possibly try it to make the infamous PB&J oats.

I'm a big fan of porridge. As someone who keeps an eye on my sugar intake, I find adding ground cinnamon adds sweetness without sugar. Of course, if I'm adding fruit, raisins etc, I omit the cinnamon as the fruit adds sweetness.

I generally soak the porridge overnight, and heat on the hob the next morning. Also not a microwave person.

I make Steel Cut Oats using an Instant Pot. It only takes about 10 minutes. The secret is the Pot-in-Pot method. That is, cook the oats in an inner glass bowl over boiling water and steam under pressure.

I can set them out to soak the night before and set a timer to cook them and keep them warm in the morning. 1 part steel cut oats: 1.5 parts water, add a dash of salt. In the morning, take warm oats out of the Instant Pot, add 1/2 fresh apple chopped, half-ounce of walnuts, 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, dash of cinnamon, splash of milk (optional).

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Our version of overnight oats is a version of the pioneer "magic box" technique. We have two Stanley vacuum jugs with wide mouths, meant to keep your soup hot while traveling or working.

Preheat the jugs with boiling water then dump out. Put in oats and seasonings, add boiling water to your taste, stir, and put the lid on. I usually put them on a folded towel and wrap another towel around them for insulation. In the morning we have hot oats. Depending on season, the house may get cooler at night and nuking the oatmeal for a few seconds may be necessary.

Fruit and such added next morning. I'll set that up just before going to bed.

O.H.

Luc

Staff member
I made my original recipe yesterday and added 5 grams of PB&ME (powdered peanut butter) to make a Peanut Butter & Jam type brekkie.

It was good but the peanuts were a bit too light for my liking. I will increase it to 10 grams next time (Monday).

Peanut flour is good in the oats. I used to do that. Then the price of peanut flour went into the insanity zone during Covid times, so I got out of the habit.

Luc

Staff member
Experiment no 2 with steel-cut oats was done by my better half(SWMBO).

So, 40 grams of steel-cut oats + 120 ml of water overnight

Microwave 2 mins - too crunchy
Microwave an extra 2 mins - overflow but cooked.

Note: need a bigger bowl for next time.

Love me some overnight oats. Here's my typical recipe. Put 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of whole milk, 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, and a dab of honey in a Mason jar. Shake it up and put it in the refrigerator. The next day I add a scoop of chocolate protein, some cut up straweberries, and some blueberries and mix it up. It's tasty, healthy, easy, and filling.

I gave the wrong proportions in my steel cut oats recipe, oops! It should be a ratio of one part oats with three parts water. That sounds like a lot of water, but it will be absorbed by the oats.

Top Bottom