What's new

Oatmeal in meatloaf

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ha. Guess it was good enough to eat.

Lean ground beef + a little ground Italian sausage, some oatmeal, an egg, milk, onion, some sliced mushrooms, salt, garlic pepper, dash of sage. 350 for 55 minutes.

A bit more dense? About how much oatmeal did you use per pound, or was is "about that much"? Sliced mushrooms sounds good...have to try that. I've never used milk either.

This was a small meatloaf. Specifics:
One lb of lean beef, about 2 oz of sausage, one large egg, 5/8 cup of oats, 3/4 cup of whole milk, 4 mushrooms, about a quarter of an onion...more or less.

Pro tip when making meatloaf:
When you are finished mixing and squishing the ingredients together with your hands, DO NOT offer your hand to the dog to lick it off.
Not even a small dog -- Pomeranian & American Eskimo Dog mix - much like this one:
proxy.php

It started with gentle licking and then rapidly got carried away, crunching down with the molars.
Ow.
There was even a wee bit of blood after a while, on my index finger's distal knuckle.

Pro tip when making meatloaf:
When you are finished mixing and squishing the ingredients together with your hands, DO NOT offer your hand to the dog to lick it off.
Not even a small dog -- Pomeranian & American Eskimo Dog mix - much like this one:
proxy.php

It started with gentle licking and then rapidly got carried away, crunching down with the molars.
Ow.
There was even a wee bit of blood after a while, on my index finger's distal knuckle.
Ouch! :302:

Oats...that's a new one on me. It sounds interesting.
Progresso Italian breadrcumbs are my standby.
I've also used panko, which retain their crunch.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Interesting that the item about how long doesn't mention a terminal temperature for meatloaf, which is usually given as 160° F .. though you can pull at it 150° then rest. Usually temperature is a better guide than time, given differences in the grind, thickness of the loaf, even differences, etc.

I'll have to try the panko next time around

I’d say I’ve always used oats, about a 1/2 cup per pound of meat. When my kids were home, I’d load in veggies too, even though they ate everything easily.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Anyone here mix up the meatloaf and then take some out for burgers? We mixed some up yesterday and set 3 burgers aside in the fridge for tomorrow.

My dad did it all the time. Miss him.

When I make meatloaf, I usually add some kind of grain to it. Cornmeal and grated Parmesan in one version, panko in another. I've used quick oats too. Always add milk. It certainly is a way to stretch out a the meat, but I think it really makes it lighter and tastier. My mom used to do it for burgers--I think she could get a couple dozen burgers out of a pound of ground beef. We used to tease her that she used so much bread crumbs that her burgers had the bun built in.

Top Bottom