What's new

Oaken Lab Earth of Mankind first impressions

This soap is imported from Indonesia and carried by WCS, $25. It comes in a brown plastic tub, about half full so you can load without much going over the sides. The soap is dark brown and soft. Loading and face lathering was easy, with a yogurt-like consistency. The label describes the scent, which I enjoyed but didn’t love, as “colonial java, kretek haze (apparently a tobacco/clove blend), agarwood and mystical spice”. I didn’t get the spice part, but picked up on the other parts. On my first pass I had good, but not great, slickness and very good protection. I shave slowly, and it began to dry out before I finished the pass. A few drops of water brought it back to life. Before the second pass, I sprinkled several drops of on my brush and WOW! what a difference. The lather was fluffier, as slick as any of my very best soaps, and provided a superb shave. Zero irritation even in areas that I frequently get some irritation. Post shave my face felt soft and moisturized. It’s only one shave, but as I get the water/soap ratio dialed in, I expect this to be a great soap. If you’re looking to try something new, I highly recommend this one!

Ok, got the Earth of Mankind, plus the Far Afield aftershave, from Oaken Lab, and tested it out.

proxy.php

The EofM actually does smell earthy, although Mrs. Picturerock thought is was more sweet/floral. I worked it up into a lather so nice, it looked good enough to eat. But I didn't.

proxy.php

Slickness was good, and it served it's purpose in the shave very nicely. Adding a little water at a time was just the ticket to build a creamy lather. The chocolate color was fun too. The aftershave Far Afield was quite nice as well, and the scent lingered a surprisingly long time. A couple of very good products, I'd say.

Ok, got the Earth of Mankind, plus the Far Afield aftershave, from Oaken Lab, and tested it out.

proxy.php

The EofM actually does smell earthy, although Mrs. Picturerock thought is was more sweet/floral. I worked it up into a lather so nice, it looked good enough to eat. But I didn't.

proxy.php

Slickness was good, and it served it's purpose in the shave very nicely. Adding a little water at a time was just the ticket to build a creamy lather. The chocolate color was fun too. The aftershave Far Afield was quite nice as well, and the scent lingered a surprisingly long time. A couple of very good products, I'd say.
WOW!! That lather does look good enough to eat!!

Oaken Lab is one of my favorite, tippety-top soaps. It rivals and maybe surpasses the best stuff I've used. The new base is ridiculously good. Don't know if it's necessarily better than the first, as I've only used it once so far, but it's an incredible product. It deserves more recognition than I think it gets.

My first with Oaken Lab but have seen other good reviews - always looking for "different! " And love a "tobacco" soap - A&E's Choco Cubano is one of my favorites. Thanks for the tip!

WOW!! That lather does look good enough to eat!!

The lather might look "good enough to eat", but I would never apply it to my face it that state. A great lather should have very tiny bubbles. That lather has way to many large bubbles for my liking. Perhaps working the lather a while longer would produce smaller bubbles, but if I were evaluating it, I would deduct at least one point for poor lathering.

The lather might look "good enough to eat", but I would never apply it to my face it that state. A great lather should have very tiny bubbles. That lather has way to many large bubbles for my liking. Perhaps working the lather a while longer would produce smaller bubbles, but if I were evaluating it, I would deduct at least one point for poor lathering.
I don't know; that chocolaty lather on the brush sure does look good!!

Teach us, Ray, oh lather expert. Post a picture of your ideal lather right here, so we might be better edumacated!

We await your wisdom....

Teach us, Ray, oh lather expert. Post a picture of your ideal lather right here, so we might be better edumacated!

We await your wisdom....

Since I detect a high degree of sarcasm in your comment, I decided to post some photos supplied by another B&B member Matt O from his review of Zingari Man Sego. Matt did a wonderful job of lathering the soap. Thanks Matt!

The initial photos still show some small bubbles, but Matt continued to work the lather until those bubbles were eliminated. The final photos show a beautiful lather, ideal for shaving. That is what I consider to be an ideal lather for shaving.

ZM Sego is only one of many soaps that will produce such smooth lathers, free of large bubbles. I have not used Oaken Labs soap, but I suspect if the reviewer had worked the lather a while longer, most of the large bubbles would have been eliminated. When lathering, do not quite before you get the lather to where it needs to be.

While foam might look "good enough to eat", it does not not make a great shaving lather.

If it worked for him, what exactly is the problem? You do you, he does him, everyone's happy. YMMV, as they say. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom