What's new

O_o..........?

It's a text written emoticon or smiley...

From Wikipedia:
Western use of East Asian style

English-language anime forums adopted those emoticons that could be used with the standard ASCII characters available on western keyboards. Because of this, they are often called "anime style" emoticons in the English-speaking Internet. They have since seen use in more mainstream venues, including online gaming, instant-messaging, and other non-anime related forums. Emoticons such as <(^_^)>, <(.<),<(o_o<), which include the parentheses, mouth or nose, and arms (especially those represented by the inequality signs < or >) also are often referred to as "Kirbies" in reference to their likeness to Nintendo's video game character, Kirby. The parentheses are usually dropped when used in the English language context, and the underscore of the mouth may be extended as an intensifier, e.g. ^____^ for very happy. Occasionally emoticons will be strung together in series to show movement. For example: <(o_o<) (>o_o)> ^(o_o^) (^o_o)^ (^o_o)> <(o_o^)

Or try this link...

Oh......I am not sure if I am sorry I asked:frown: So is (O_O) two ears and two eyes and a nose? If so what relevence is it to anything when putting it at the end of a statement.....? :blink:

if I understand this right then (O_O) means amazed... (o_O) incredulous... (o_o) seriously?...

Oh and there is even a special one for B&B's own Ouch: (>_<).

However I am getting this of the internet so don't flame me if it means something else entirely...

Well it’s all new to me, but then I’m only just getting to understand text language so this really is a non starter for me. I think you have to have a vivid imagination to instantly understand their meaning.

I don't wish to cause offence to those who understand these things, but I always thought communication was the act of passing information between one and other with a degree of mutual understanding. I am afraid it communicates nothing to me. There all yours!

Cheers:wink:

This one is a person smiling: ^_^

Or a cat: >^-^<

Or a bird: /^v^\

Or not enough fiber: >_<

Or rock & roll/metal: \m/

Or too much metal for one hand: \mm/

I don't wish to cause offence to those who understand these things, but I always thought communication was the act of passing information between one and other with a degree of mutual understanding. I am afraid it communicates nothing to me. There all yours!

Cheers:wink:

IMHO, Smileys, emoticons and such are a somewhat childish form of communication (especially those based on Japanese cartoons). That being said, I really like them! I like how they can be both minimalist and expressive. It does take some imagination the first time you see them, but for that matter acronyms and abbreviations are even worst (It is really frustrating when you do not understand them). For someone outside B&B this means nothing: Today I got BBS using a DE, MB soap, and BAS. And BTW, RAD is kicking in again.

The first time I saw this :a32: it imediatelly reminded me of SWMBO.
My personal favorites: &#248;(o_o ) guy writing a report that's due the next 5 min.
(&#961;_-)o sleepy, :)3= a walrus, d-_-b I am hearing music.

( ) | | are usually the shape of the head.
Two O, o, 0, n, v, <,> ~, &#172;, - are usually eyes
or for a horizontal face : ; these are the eyes.
>< If these are not eyes, then they are hands...

That is too much work. It's like having to learn a whole new language.
:eek:

Funny, but too much work.

I agree, it is all too much effort to learn this language and I can't be bothered to have to go and find out what it all means. I have started to see the light mind you, and when told what they mean I can see where they are coming from but, if I was to receive any of these (&#961;_-)o sleepy, :)3= a walrus, d-_-b I am hearing music, in an email I wouldn't have a clue what they were about.

However :smile: , I do like the smiles&#8217; we use here on B&B :w00t: yes I do, They are funny :lol: and instantly recognisable:a47: not like the (O_O) ones that simply confuse me :confused: and make scratch my head:001_unsur So its :001_tt2: to them and hurray for:em2300: :thumbup:

If you really want to put some effort in it do it sms-language style :001_tt2:.

Smileys are cute and often make the difference between understanding and misunderstanding, when using text-only communication.

SMS language, that I hate... why the hell use something that is entirely useless when you're using a full size keyboard ? :mad: you're not looking any younger or l33t3r!, you just look like someone who doesn't know how to speak and type, scoundrels! :cool:

Smileys are cute and often make the difference between understanding and misunderstanding, when using text-only communication.

SMS language, that I hate... why the hell use something that is entirely useless when you're using a full size keyboard ? :mad: you're not looking any younger or l33t3r!, you just look like someone who doesn't know how to speak and type, scoundrels! :cool:

I agree.

Top Bottom