What's new

O.R.E.N. Razor

Has anyone used this one yet? I'm kind of mad at myself for not ordering it when it was $60 on Classic Shaving now its up to 100 so its easier to resist the temptation to try it now.

Any opinions or reviews?

Yes, and I love it.

I prefer lighter, <100 gram, razors, and this is right in my sweet spot.

And I'm sure the Feather Pro Guard blades help too.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

If it makes you feel any better, it was never $60. That was the sale price for the v1 version. I think the lowest price at Classic Shaving for the v2 was $79. I think it is a great razor. It is now my favorite, followed closely by the OneBlade. Of course the OneBlade is substantially more expensive and the blades are not as readily available. The OREN v2 razor has three different caps enabling the shaver to adjust the aggressiveness to their own preference and shaving style.

eric

I just got one off the BST. I had the original V1 model. I wasn't crazy about the handle or the wide blade guard. The V2 model looks promising. I'll let you know when I get mine in the mail.

I did my first shave with the OREN tonight. Very smooth shaver even with the 3 dot head installed. I did a normal 3 pass shave with minor touch-ups that was a very comfortable and irritation-free DFS.

I like the improved handle and slimmer blade guard over the original Occam razor.

I had been shaving with the 1 dot OREN. Meh. Wasn't impressed at all.

I definitely do NOT like the way the blade is loaded.

Last night I tried the 3 dot. Wow. Very impressed.

I still do not like the way the blade is loaded.

With the 3 dot, I was able to get a very good shave. It wasn't effortless; the 3 dot takes a lot of concentration, but finding the proper angle was intuitive, and very satisfying. It mowed down 4 day stubble like it wasn't there. And NO clogs!

I'm looking forward to more shaves with the 3 dot head, and honing my technique with this razor. The 1 dot seemed effortless, but also didn't give great shaves; head or face I had to apply a lot more pressure than I'm used to. Similar to the OneBlade razor.

This is my FIRST foray into SE shaving, and so far, I'm intrigued.

With the 3 dot, I was able to get a very good shave. It wasn't effortless; the 3 dot takes a lot of concentration, but finding the proper angle was intuitive, and very satisfying. It mowed down 4 day stubble like it wasn't there. And NO clogs!

I'm looking forward to more shaves with the 3 dot head, and honing my technique with this razor. The 1 dot seemed effortless, but also didn't give great shaves; head or face I had to apply a lot more pressure than I'm used to. Similar to the OneBlade razor.

Interesting perspective. I find I need almost no concentration when using this razor. Yes, I am not a fan of applying undue pressure during the shave either. It feels very unnatural to add pressure during wetshaving.

Curious here, since you didn't get great shaves with the #1 and the #3 took so much concentration, why not try the #2 dot plate?

Curious here, since you didn't get great shaves with the #1 and the #3 took so much concentration, why not try the #2 dot plate?

Good question! I will try the #2. First I want to give the #3 a few more tries for a couple reasons: One, it forces me to slow down, pay attention, and work on technique. Two, I am really happy with the results using the #3.

Another shave with #3 in the books.

Really starting to like the #3. Similar in feel/results to my Blackbird, OC, though not quite as aggressive.

I'm thinking this razor is quickly becoming a gateway razor into the world of SE razors.

I'm happy to say this razor is now part of my regular rotation... Let's see what happens with the 2 dot!

Tried the 2 dot head for a few shaves. It's now my preferred head of the three.

Also, I'm getting better with the razor, and enjoying it more.

However, no matter which head I use, and which technique I use to load the blade, the blade brushes the safety bar. Dose anyone else notice this? Something about the leading edge of the blade touching the safety bar while loading bothers me. I've watched videos, and sacrificed a couple blades for practice, but no matter what, the blade touches the safety bar while loading.

However, no matter which head I use, and which technique I use to load the blade, the blade brushes the safety bar. Dose anyone else notice this?

I admit that it is not the easiest razor for loading the blade, but I usually don't have a problem with the edge of the blade hitting the safety bar. I gently push down in the center of the blade to bend the blade a fair amount and that seems to do the trick.

eric.

Tried the 2 dot head for a few shaves. It's now my preferred head of the three.

Also, I'm getting better with the razor, and enjoying it more.

However, no matter which head I use, and which technique I use to load the blade, the blade brushes the safety bar. Dose anyone else notice this? Something about the leading edge of the blade touching the safety bar while loading bothers me. I've watched videos, and sacrificed a couple blades for practice, but no matter what, the blade touches the safety bar while loading.

So, I just got my Oren, and I have the very same problem with a Kai pink.

I’ve never had a problem with my normal occam’s.

Tho' I have a Feather SS, several Merkurs, an Above-the-Tie, and dozens of vintage Gillettes, I want to try the O.R.E.N. I know, razor addiction, :001_07: but tell me why this is special.

Tho' I have a Feather SS, several Merkurs, an Above-the-Tie, and dozens of vintage Gillettes, I want to try the O.R.E.N. I know, razor addiction, :001_07: but tell me why this is special.

The reason it is special is that it is the only adjustable razor that uses the Feather/KAI/Schick single edge AC blades. It comes with three caps that adjust the aggressiveness of the shave from 1 dot (least aggressive) to 3 dot (most aggressive). IMO, the AC type blades are currently the best blades available.

eric

"... it is the only adjustable razor that uses the ... single edge AC blades."
Thanks Glass Mountain. That is exactly why I want to try it. :)

what are your favorite blades for this razor?
Feather Pro Guard or KAI Captain Titan Mild Pink (stupid long name for a terrific blade) are my go to blades for my O.R.E.N. Both are a "caged" blade for no nicks.

For a heavy or coarse whiskers Feather Pro Super are designed specifically for such beards.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom