What's new

O' God! First Blood..

Well, tomorrow would be four weeks shaving with a DE for the first time. Not knowing what to buy I watched the forums and bought the Ti. SB as explained in a different post. I took everyone's advice and bought the sample packs of blades. For 2 weeks or so I just shaved my face and then started shaving my face and head.
Today I switched to my next to last blade to try. The Feather. I shaved my face and all went well. Then I shaved the front of my head and and the back with the grain and all was fine. Did the front ATG and went well. Then when I went up (ATG) in the back right side of my head and went to rinse the razor, there it was. A small spot of RED. I looked at my head ( I have mirrors on the side of the counter over my sink) and could not see anything.
Went ahead and finished shaving my head and rinsed and dried off. Re-looked at my right side and there was the red spot. I started to call the Blood Bank so they could save the blood but did not want anyone to know what I did. I asked my wife to take the styptic stick and touch it to the Massive Hole in my scalp and she just laughed at me. After begging her to use it I knew I was in serious trouble when it stung.She laughed at me and left the bathroom.
I figure I will change my name to Rodney Dangerfield, No Respect.
I have tried the Derby, PolSilver, Astra SS, Nacet, Wilkinson Sword, Astra SP, and Feather.
I like the Astra SP best. Then the Wilkinson. The feather was a close shave but the other two were smoother. Tomorrow I will try the Gillette SB.
Unless I like the Gilletter SB the best I will order the Astra SP as my blade of choice until I get a few months of technique under my belt.
I tried to get my wife to run to the store and get me a band aide with a Smiley Face but she had no compassion. She did not want to put the stick on it because it was not bleeding.
That was her version. I saw the drop of blood on the razor.

Looks like you're doing it right: picking one to stick with, getting good technique with it , and then doing some reevaluation fewmonths down the line.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

:a14:Reminds me of Tony Hancock's Blood Donor sketch:

The bit from 1 min onwards is particularly relevant :D

P.S. I won't be trying Feathers any time soon.

+1 - awesome, made me chuckle after reading your post!
I don't think with a few spots of blood you'll need to call the blood bank any time soon.
Good thing this isn't Shark Week!
Now I have to admit I did give myself a nasty cut on my chin some years ago due to operator error and couldn't stop the blood.
Honestly thought I'd have to go to the emergency room.
Like you my wife laughed at me and here I thought I lost a pint of blood![emoji44]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If one never cuts or nicks himself, he's not trying hard enough! :001_smile

Now you know what to reply the next time your wife asks you to shave her legs. But only if you want to. :001_cool:

Xxvaleria, it was my first time drawing blood. It the last time that scares me.:001_07:

Ajkel64, probably identical twins that they decided not to tell us about. Her brother is married to one of identical triplets.

A small add on. This morning I used a Gillette SB. It is now my favorite. I only did 2 passes and no touch up and got my best shave. Even on my head.
My face is really smooth and for the first time it is smooth under my chin and jaw.
I know everyone's skin reacts different but this was a good blade for me. Maybe my technique is getting a little better hopefully. Only did 2 passes on my head with no touch up. The exciting part was my jaw line.
For now this will be my blade of choice.

Don't get overconfident. My worst cut came a few months after I started. It was a mild blade in a mild razor, and I had that razor absolutely flying around my face and neck because I knew I couldn't hurt myself. Yeah, right. I learned from that.

Joshua223, I should have thought of that. I'll go to the local hobby shop and get some 2 part epoxy.
I wonder if i coated my face and head with it if that would prevent the hair from growing?

Don't get overconfident. My worst cut came a few months after I started.

This. And, secondly, don't ever try to catch a falling razor. Finger slices are worse than any shave cut.

ttyndall: I'm your age. Next time you're at the grocery store look for "alum" in the spice or canning aisle. I generally use McCormick's Alum because my grocery store has it, but any generic powdered alum should also work for shaving nicks, cuts or weepers. I've been using alum since 1965 when drug stores sold tins of "shaving alum" to stop bleeding. Just dip a damp finger in and apply. A bigger nick may require a wetter finger and more of a paste, but it works. When dry, just brush it off. Reapply if necessary. If it doesn't need stitches, alum will stop the bleeding from any shaving cut faster than anything else.

I still have my old rusted tin of shaving alum from 1965 and it still has some alum in it that I wouldn't hesitate to use if necessary. My wife has been threatening for 50 years to toss that rusty tin in the trash if she ever finds. Fortunately, McCormick's alum works just fine for me and I haven't had to bring that tin out of hiding.

Njpaddy, great suggestion on catching a dropped razor. Thanks.
It's great meeting a brother the same age. (29).

I have a fat fold on the back of my head that I always have to be extra careful maneuvering about. It's hard to get the hair in there without breaking some skin.

Wives are not very sympathetic creatures by nature, when it comes to stupid male mistakes, even when there is blood involved.
My worst cut was when I was doing a HHT (hanging hair test) with a freshly stropped straight. The hair got shorter and shorter, and a momentary lapse in concentration caused me to almost chop of the first 5 mm of my left index finger. Through the nail, it was not pretty. She started screaming, as if it was her that nearly lost a finger. This very quickly turned into an angry lecture, saying she new it was going to happen sooner or later, and she can't understand why I would do such stupid, dangerous, things. It took a while to convince her its not the right time to get into the technicalities of why I thought it was necessary to do it, it was time to please get a band-aid, before I get in trouble for bleeding on the carpet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom