What's new

NYT Crossword

This is just a quick post to see if there are any other NYT Crossword puzzle fanatics in our midst. I have an 80 minutes subway ride (round trip) every day, and a day without a crossword is like a day without sunshine.

I just got into crossword puzzles. Thus far I am somewhat proficient at our local paper's crosswords, but the NYC is way to difficult for a newbie like me.

Is there any crossword advice you can offer?

Crossword advice.......that's a question I've never been faced with. Personally, I keep a small notebook with me at all times. After I've worked over everything and come to the conclusion I can go no further I get out my notebook and a dictionary. If I can find the answer in the dictionary I write it, along with the definition, in my notebook. Some consider this "cheating", but I don't. In the end my main purpose is to learn, and this helps me do that. I find the notebook important because many of the three and four letter answers are repeated in later puzzles because their letters are common and useful.

Also, pay careful attention to how the clue is written. If it's plural it probably ends in "s." If the clue includes abbreviations, the answer is an abbreviation. If it has a question mark it's play on words or meanings. If the clue is past tense the answer will be past tense. These is very simple advice, and probably already known to you if you've been doing puzzles.

If you're new to the NYT you may or may not know that the difficulty is in ascending order. So Monday is easier than Tuesday is easier than Wednesday, and so on. So, later in the week if you can't finish the puzzle don't even worry about it. My goal is always to finish, but I don't forget the bigger picture of enjoying the thought process and learning, especially when the puzzle is particularly clever.

P.S. Where are you from Stuyou? I see you've listed Kentuckiana. Is that perhaps the tri-state area of Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio? I ask because I am originally from the same area.

Top Bottom