What's new

Nylon Brushes

269EFD14-0698-4893-9402-E116F4AA582B.jpeg

Who likes nylon brushes? This scratches my face and lathers poorly and if it wasn’t for the sentimental meaning and the beautiful handle I wouldn’t have it. What say you?

The older nylon brushes are like using a cheap paintbrush to lather with. Modern synthetics are much better. You could re-knot that handle.

I'd say get a new Cashmere knot in the appropriate size. Looks just like original but far more pleasant to use.

Assuming the brush uses a 20mm knot. I bought it as the synthetic cream white at Shave Forge because I couldn't find it elsewhere in that size, but I'm sure with some hunting it could be. The knot feels a little small at 20mm but it works. Better than the fishing line the brush comes with.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t think that I have tried a nylon brush. I would try one just to see what they are all about. Be that good or bad.

I once bought a late 1960s or early 70s NOS nylon brush for the sake of the two-tone handle and thought I'd try it before attempting to put in a new knot. It was like scrubbing my face with a yard brush, and produced lather with the greatest reluctance. Unfortunately, the handle fell apart when I removed the original knot, so it was a lose-lose situation.

I tried a nylon Ever-Ready C40 twice...
it is now used as a household cleaning tool.

Beautiful handle you've got there, clydewigg.

Last edited:
Rubberset 200N (2).jpg

Mine face lathers well and isn't scratchy. If you look closely it even has split ends. It is super floppy with no backbone so I don't enjoy it. I do occasionally use it for Noxzema.

That is a beautiful handle you have though!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I had a couple nylon brushes in the 70s-80s. The best of them weren't all that different from today's Omega S-brush series. For years my goal was to get the soap off the puck and onto my face. I never gave it much more thought than that. If a brush didn't cause pain it was just fine. In the past 12 years, however, I've invested more time and psychic energy in finding the perfect shaving brush than I did in selecting a wife. It's really insane when I stop and think about it.

Top Bottom