What's new

NYC

You'll be there for a short time, so you have to choose wisely.
All of the suggestions here are making me nostalgic (I used to
work very close to Pasteur's and spent many a lunch hour there).

There are so many ways to go about this. You have your own "must do" list, so don't miss those.

Here's my list of what to do while you're there:

Pasteur's and Empire State Building, easily done.
Lunch in Central Park
Katz's Deli 205 E. Houston
Walking around anywhere that you can.

Bonus visits:

C.O. Bigelow - Sixth Ave.near 9th St. - maybe the last classic old pharmacy in NYC. You can get their shaving and grooming products. Some other premium brands as well. Razors, brushes, fragrances. Your wife will enjoy it, too.

Russ & Daughters - 179 E. Houston for lox&bagels. You can eat and walk around. Here for breakfast and Katz's for lunch!

Yonah Schimmel - Also on E. Houston. Knish. Delish.

Classic steakhouse - Keene's, Smith & Wollensky, Sparks. Peter Luger in Brooklyn.

Have fun and report back!

Pasteurs #1! (No brainer).

Then I would either pick a Circle Line tour around Manhattan Island or some of the museums (too many to list) that are closest to your taste.

Enjoy the trip!! :a14::a14:

McSorley's Old Ale House is an 1850s Time Capsule of an Irish Bar in the East Village that's literally like stepping back in time. You order light or dark beer (there's only one kind) and they have period-appropriate bar food like cheddar, crackers & onions or braunschweiger sandwiches. There's 175 years worth of knick knacks and pictures on the walls and hanging from the ceiling. In the winter there's a coal fire in the stove with a cat curled up in front of it. At night it can get crowded but it's great for a mid-afternoon beer & snack. This place was famous for not allowing women until 1970.

upload_2019-3-13_14-16-53.png

As a lifelong new yawka' i am required by law to advise against touristy things like the empire state building and statue of liberty, especially for a short weekend trip, those things take up alooooooooot of time. it takes like 2 or 3 different elevators to get all the way to the top of the empire state building and you're just herded like groups of cattle thru boring rope mazes for over an hour (maybe longer depending on crowds) from floor to floor, elevator to elevator until you finally get to the roof..., and then it's the same thing all over again to get back down. If you must do something of this nature I've heard the Rockefeller Center - Top of the Rock tour is way more enjoyable, at least you get to see some cool NBC studio stuff on your way up.

Since you're in the downtown soho area check out The Highline for a really unique view of the city. they turned an abandoned old elevated train line into a beautiful ritzy walking path from 14th street to 34th. being up above the streets and out of the hustle and bustle makes it feel like you're walking thru a disneyland/theme park version of manhattan. And when you get to the 34th st. end there's a whole new area just built there with a big exhibit you can walk thru called The Vessel.

Also near the area of the 9/11 exhibit is the South Street Seaport (pier 17) which has some cool shops, places to eat, sometimes live jazz music on the streets. And there's a ferry hub dowtown at Wall st. / pier 11. the ferry system has been getting better and better every year with more routes and more stops getting added all the time. The boats are very new and modern. You can hop on the East River line for 2.75 and get an insanely awesome boat tour of lower/midtown manhattan and the new hipsterized brooklyn. great views of the buildings and bridges, you can ride the whole route back and forth for less than 6 bucks. one of the stops near the brooklyn bridge has a huge vintage carousel and a nice park and surrounding area.

Last edited:
As a lifelong new yawka' i am required by law to advise against touristy things like the empire state building and statue of liberty, especially for a short weekend trip, those things take up alooooooooot of time. it takes like 2 or 3 elevators to get all the way to the top of the empire state building and you're just herded like groups of cattle thru boring rope mazes for over an hour (maybe longer depending on crowds) from floor to floor, elevator to elevator. If you must do something of this nature I've heard the Rockefeller Center - Top of the Rock tour is way more enjoyable, at least you get see some cool NBC studio stuff.

Since you're in the downtown soho area check out The Highline for a really unique view of the city. they turned an old elevated train line into a beautiful ritzy walking path that runs from 14th street to 34th. being up above the streets and out of the hustle and bustle makes it feel like you're walking thru a disneyland/theme park version of manhattan. And when you get to the 34th st. end there's a whole new area just built there with a big exhibit you can walk thru called The Vessel.

Also near the area of the 9/11 exhibit is the South Street Seaport (pier 17) which has some cool shops, places to eat, sometimes live jazz music on the streets. And there's a ferry hub dowtown at Wall st. / pier 11. the ferry system has been getting better and better every year with more routes and more stops getting added all the time. The boats are very new and modern. You can hop on the East River line for 2.75 and get an insanely awesome boat tour of lower/midtown manhattan and the new hipsterized brooklyn. great views of the buildings and bridges, you can ride the whole route back and forth for less than 6 bucks. one of the stops near the brooklyn bridge has a really cool vintage carousel and a nice park and surrounding area.

There is also the Staten Island Ferry which is free and gives awesome views of the city and the Statue of Liberty.

I agree go with Top of the Rock instead of Empire State Building.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be there for a short time, so you have to choose wisely.
All of the suggestions here are making me nostalgic (I used to
work very close to Pasteur's and spent many a lunch hour there).

There are so many ways to go about this. You have your own "must do" list, so don't miss those.

Here's my list of what to do while you're there:

Pasteur's and Empire State Building, easily done.
Lunch in Central Park
Katz's Deli 205 E. Houston
Walking around anywhere that you can.

Bonus visits:

C.O. Bigelow - Sixth Ave.near 9th St. - maybe the last classic old pharmacy in NYC. You can get their shaving and grooming products. Some other premium brands as well. Razors, brushes, fragrances. Your wife will enjoy it, too.

Russ & Daughters - 179 E. Houston for lox&bagels. You can eat and walk around. Here for breakfast and Katz's for lunch!

Yonah Schimmel - Also on E. Houston. Knish. Delish.

Classic steakhouse - Keene's, Smith & Wollensky, Sparks. Peter Luger in Brooklyn.

Have fun and report back!

+1

I did not read the whole thread, but here are a few:
Bagels - The local chain Pick A Bagel is outstanding. In the Wall Street area, there is only one top-of-the line bagel shop: Leo's Bagels.
Cuban-Chinese - Flor de Mayo on Broadway at 100th Street has the best Cuban-Chinese in the city. Not sure what you like to eat, but the black beans with yellow rice, the rotisserie chicken and the shredded beef are to die for.
Brooklyn Bridge - Walk from the Manhattan side to the halfway point and back. You will be mumbling, "Ga ga.", and not about Lady Gaga.
Central Park - What can you say?
Water Front - The walk along the Hudson River at the World Financial Center is pretty spectacular. The other great view is from the promenade in Brooklyn Heights where you will walk past the home (mansion) in which Vito Carleone (played by Marlon Brando) lived in The Godfather.
Staten Island Ferry - Take the free ferry over and right back in one hour. It's free and very efficient timewise.

Good lord man! Go to Sarges Deli and get a pastrami on rye with a square knish and a cream soda! Head to China town and get soup dumplings and fried rice at Joes Shanghai or Peking duck at the Peking Duck House. Head to Grand Central Station Oyster Bar for an oyster pan roast and a dozen on the half shell. Papaya King for hot dogs. Hit any pizza place for a slice of NY pizza. The pizza in the city is homogenized and all great! If your by Times Square for a show hit Juniors for cheese cake and a chocolate egg cream. Such good food in the city! If your going to NYC get ready to get raped for everything! Very expensive!

PS also in Times Square is a great pub called O’Luneys. It is st Patty’s day Sunday after all!

Last edited:
Juniors is closed. No, the pizza is not all the same. And Sarge’s, while I’ve not been to it, is never mentioned as being in the same league as Katz’s or the Carnegie (regrettably the Carnegie closed; the old man couldn’t get the kids to take over).

Juniors on 49th Street is open... here’s the number. 212-365-5900.

I’ve been to every pastrami joint in the city over the last 30 years multiple times. Likely over 100 times for some. Katz’s is by far the worst pastrami. Sarges, Pastrami Queen, 2nd Ave Deli all have much better pastrami. Katz’ doesn’t even use a navel cut. They use brisket. Overhyped tourist destination! The daughter took over the Carnegie deli and ran it for probably decades. She was shady as **** and stole steam from Con Ed for years and that caught up to her. They finally shut her down with the bill and late payments she couldn’t pay. Decent pastrami. No where near Pastrami Queen! But to each their own.

NYC pizza is NYC pizza. Not talking artisan pizza here. When in NY you get a NY slice or pie!not artisan pizza. Pizza place couldn’t survive in the city if it wasn’t good because there’s anothe one on the next corner who does it right!

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Ippudo for Ramen and then Sarges for cheesecake has been a B&B meeting plan for a decade.
There is a thread referencing "NYC's Bermuda triangle for wetshavers" somewhere but I could not find it.

Juniors on 49th Street is open... here’s the number. 212-365-5900.

I’ve been to every pastrami joint in the city over the last 30 years multiple times. Likely over 100 times for some. Katz’s is by far the worst pastrami. Sarges, Pastrami Queen, 2nd Ave Deli all have much better pastrami. Katz’ doesn’t even use a navel cut. They use brisket. Overhyped tourist destination! The daughter took over the Carnegie deli and ran it for probably decades. She was shady as **** and stole steam from Con Ed for years and that caught up to her. They finally shut her down with the bill and late payments she couldn’t pay. Decent pastrami. No where near Pastrami Queen! But to each their own.

NYC pizza is NYC pizza. Not talking artisan pizza here. When in NY you get a NY slice or pie!not artisan pizza. Pizza place couldn’t survive in the city if it wasn’t good because there’s anothe one on the next corner who does it right!

Have a nice day!

Hmmm. I stand corrected! The Junior’s location in Foxwoods also appears open too, if that’s your thing!

Enjoy your cheese and anything but a decent sauce covered cardboard. I’ll take a NON-artisan just great original NY pizza at Lombardi’s or Arturo’s any day. But that’s just me. Let’s compare notes after you’ve been to the Famous Original Rays. Or was that the Original Famous Rays? Or the Super Duper Rays? Well, you’ll let me know which of their 15 ridiculous locations it was.

Good morning!

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great suggestions love to hear the report after the trip
Ill second the Staten island ferry for a closer look at lady liberty its free. If down that way check out delmonicos steak house.

Ippudo for Ramen and then Sarges for cheesecake has been a B&B meeting plan for a decade.
There is a thread referencing "NYC's Bermuda triangle for wetshavers" somewhere but I could not find it.
The only thing I can find is you calling it that. :)

Pasteur, Cambridge, and Clyde?

Good lord man! Go to Sarges Deli and get a pastrami on rye with a square knish and a cream soda! Head to China town and get soup dumplings and fried rice at Joes Shanghai or Peking duck at the Peking Duck House. Head to Grand Central Station Oyster Bar for an oyster pan roast and a dozen on the half shell. Papaya King for hot dogs. Hit any pizza place for a slice of NY pizza. The pizza in the city is homogenized and all great! If your by Times Square for a show hit Juniors for cheese cake and a chocolate egg cream. Such good food in the city! If your going to NYC get ready to get raped for everything! Very expensive!

PS also in Times Square is a great pub called O’Luneys. It is st Patty’s day Sunday after all!

As an Irishman, I must correct you.
Never Patty.
Paddy’s will work

We were in Manhattan right before Christmas. Took a day bus trip (we're about 3 hours away by car). Great time and nice to see the city during the Christmas season. Pasteur's on 34th is a can't miss. Nice folks, tons of shave gear, and you can sniff until your hearts content. We did lunch at 2nd Avenue Deli. Here's the sandwich I recommend (with pastrami, of course)....
Instant Heart Attack™ – A sandwich consisting of 2 large potato pancakes with your choice of Corned Beef, Pastrami, Turkey or Salami for $31.95 ........................Delicious!!

Enjoy your time there!

Top Bottom