What's new

Nurse Dave's journey

Ah Jury Duty.... See I have been summoned a few times. Tell them I did 1.5 years of law school and a change of heart. They excuse me. They say I know too much of the "process"

Nice shave. I guess the GTB backfired yesterday.
Or they just wanted more?

Great reads, Dave. And yes, you need to get more Stirling soaps! :thumbup1:
I feel a binge coming on soon

Ah Jury Duty.... See I have been summoned a few times. Tell them I did 1.5 years of law school and a change of heart. They excuse me. They say I know too much of the "process"
They did just happen to get rid of everyone that had any history like that

2018 shave #68 (DE:8 SE:26 Str:33 Cart:2)

“The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Chiseled Face Easy Street
Plisson synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Chiseled Face Easy Street AS

Decided to treat myself to another DSBBS-G TM @skypsyd shave. In the past I’ve mentioned that it was funny that I would now refer to a RX shave as milder while learning the straights. Now I’m thinking it’s good I’m learning the straight because I need something milder after a shave like this.

But but but Chaaaaad, it’s so hard to leave the hair behind.

That's my cross to bear, as well.

I'm just getting caught up here, and some good stuff, Dave! I think the curve for straights has a few plateaus involved and some twists and turns along the way. Keep at it because it helps me knowing there's other guys out there going for it and figuring it out. And enjoy the occasional dolphin face from the RX along the way.

Another dolphin shave huh... good stuff!

I guess the Daves like pretending to be dolphins.

That's my cross to bear, as well.

I'm just getting caught up here, and some good stuff, Dave! I think the curve for straights has a few plateaus involved and some twists and turns along the way. Keep at it because it helps me knowing there's other guys out there going for it and figuring it out. And enjoy the occasional dolphin face from the RX along the way.

Thanks guys. Yes, it sure is nice to have the RX to fall back on.

2018 shave #69 (DE:8 SE:26 Str:34 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (3)
CBL Money
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm

@CBLindsay I have a great idea. When you finally decide to go into soap production full time, I’ll volunteer to be part of your advertising campaign. While lathering my face, I’ll say “As soon as I lather up with Money, I feel like a million bucks”. Of course this should have at a few jet setting locations like Tahiti and New York.

Shave went fairly well. I realized when I use the RX, I’m actually taking short overlapping strokes before recovering the area with long ones. So I did that with the SS. Got the BBS in three passes on the cheeks. Usual DFS on the neck. I did a little clean-up on the neck with the SS and had to stop myself from continuing to try to push the BBS on the neck. I really want to figure that out.

I used short overlapping strokes more than long swipes. It’s like blade budding but not as short. The neck is a complex place to shave but when you find your groove you will love the straight. My neck feels best When I use the straight.
I’m working on a restoration of a pretty beat up John Engstrom. When it’s done I’ll send it to you. The rounded toe is great for the neck and the Swedish steel will hold an edge like nobody’s business. I have a pretty cheesy 1.5” strop I can send but you might want another. I sent one of my cheesey strops to @cvargo, he can attest to the cheesiness. Once the blade was is done I’ll send it with some of the new Damascus soaps.

I used short overlapping strokes more than long swipes. It’s like blade budding but not as short. The neck is a complex place to shave but when you find your groove you will love the straight. My neck feels best When I use the straight.
I’m working on a restoration of a pretty beat up John Engstrom. When it’s done I’ll send it to you. The rounded toe is great for the neck and the Swedish steel will hold an edge like nobody’s business. I have a pretty cheesy 1.5” strop I can send but you might want another. I sent one of my cheesey strops to @cvargo, he can attest to the cheesiness. Once the blade was is done I’ll send it with some of the new Damascus soaps.
Dang, thank you. Very generous. I’m going to clean up my weck and try it tomorrow. While the SS is sexier, I think the shave from the Weck was closer so it makes me think a straight up straight is probably the most efficient.

Great shave! You guys talking about your BBS straight shaves make me a little jealous. I am stuck in DFS land. Oh well, maybe when I add in my 3rd pass it will reach that level.

I can't wait to see what you can do with that straight Chris is sending you.

Great shave! You guys talking about your BBS straight shaves make me a little jealous. I am stuck in DFS land. Oh well, maybe when I add in my 3rd pass it will reach that level.

I can't wait to see what you can do with that straight Chris is sending you.
Just the cheeks by a long shot. And that takes 3 passes for sure with overlapping strokes. I have read of others getting BBS after 2 passes, but I know that’s impossible for the way my hair grows. I can’t even get a 2 pass BBS with the RX with minimal growth.

Nice progress, just catching up here.

For me the SS, loaded with a Schick Proline, gets to CCS on one pass on the cheeks. Just a thing of beauty. After two passes with the straight it's not as close as one with the SS. Still working on it, though.

And don't get me started about the neck and the straight razor........

2018 shave #70 (DE:8 SE:26 Str:35 Cart:2)

Weck w/ Diane blade (1)
Nuàvia Nera
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm

#thisshavesucked

I got my samples in so I can try some of these more expensive guys without committing to a tub yet. I like the smell of Nera the best. A nice sweetness that might be too sweet for some, but I liked it. Whipping up the lather with Nuàvia was easy. Very creamy, but I got the sense it could tip over the edge on a dime if you added too much water. So I didn’t push it to thin it out much. The sweetness did edge on too much once it was on the face.

As soon as I started shaving, it felt just like the one time I used a Shark DE blade. It was not smooth and I felt like the soap had no cushion at all. I probably should have aborted, but I did a full three passes. Had 3-4 errors along the way that stopped before the shave was over. I didn’t feel a lot of slickness when rinsing between passes either. I figured I must have not lathered it correctly since there has been so much praise for this soap. So before the third pass I actually added more water and whipped it a little thinner. It didn’t break down like I thought it would, but it also didn’t improve the glide or slickness.

I ended up doing a 4th pass on the neck with a DE just to get it acceptable, but knew I’d pay the price for it. My whole face lit up like a forest fire with the alum. I have all the flavors of Nuàvia so I’ll try again.

Off to take the certification test for my wine class.

Sorry to hear about the rough shave. There are soaps that people rave about that don't work for me either. Nuavia is worth checking out, but if it doesn't cut it for you there are plenty others to choose from lol.

Where did you get the samples from? I am interested in these soaps too, but even though people rave about it, I don't want to blind buy at that price. Sorry about the bad shave.

Top Bottom