What's new

Numbers on Astra SP DE Blades

I noticed numbers 1 and 2 on one side and 3 and 4 on the other of the blade. What is the meaning of these numbers on Astra SP DE blades? If any.

Thanks,
Bill

I haven't the foggiest... I just use them to know I flipped the blade after drying the razor. Interested to hear what knowledgeable members have to say about it...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Pure guess here, but some blade makers actually recommended flipping the blade between shaves. These numbers would provide a reference for someone to track this.

proxy.php

Haha, I think I asked the same question on this forum years ago. Unfortunately it was in 2014 and my history doesn't go back that far when I check my profile!

In any case you can safely ignore them. If I remember they are just for the manufacturing process in some way...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I used to machine zirconium blades for medical procedures. No numbers on the blanks, but if blades are hand machined the numbers might make a good flip guide so you don't forget to machine a side? If the machinery is fully automated I don't see a reason for the numbers. It still remains a great mystery.

For what its worth, I use the numbers in rotating the blade after each shave. Each time, I put the next higher number in the corner that I lay the blade down when done. (For instance, if the "4" is in the corner on my shelf, the blade is up for its 4th use.) Helps me count the number of times I use it.

Haha, I think I asked the same question on this forum years ago. Unfortunately it was in 2014 and my history doesn't go back that far when I check my profile!

In any case you can safely ignore them. If I remember they are just for the manufacturing process in some way...
Yeah, it hasn't kept me awake at night.

Bill

If I remember they are just for the manufacturing process in some way...

Mass manufacturing equipment will sometimes use optical references in order to detect errors and alert personnel or shut down the equipment. I'm going to assume that it's something like that...

IME, the optical references for actuation and other processes are more trouble than they're worth in most cases. A fleck of dust on the lens wrecks the whole process. I'm guessing maybe that's why other blades don't have them...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

They are there for you to only use the blade 4 times, and then move on to the next. The razor blade company has to make its money, right? They put them there, so you can take a sharpie marker and mark off the numbers as you go along. I guess you could go 5 times, and then toss it :D

I will have to look for them I never seen any numbers on my blades but my Grandfather was very systematic about flipping the blade after rinsing it off.

For added confusion some razors (I'm looking at your Merkur 34C) have numbers on the base plate. I assume they are referring to a mold number or something. If one was anal enough one might keep trying to match the blade numbers up to the base plate numbers. I ahem, am not referring to myself :001_302:

Top Bottom