What's new

Number of strokes per shave - poll

How many strokes do you use per pass to shave?

• 1 pass less than 15

• 1 pass 15 to 40

• 1 pass 41 or more

• 2 passes less than 15

• 2 passes 15 to 40

• 2 passes 41 or more

• 3 passes less than 15

• 3 passes 15 to 40

• 3 passes 41 or more

• 4 or more passes less than 15

• 4 or more passes 15 to 40

• 4 or more passes 41 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.
I saw this post and was intrigued, and disappointed at the poor responses. To me this is an intriguing subject and worthwhile pursuing.

Therefore in order to quantify it I decided to make a poll.

I have included both the number of passes and the number of strokes per pass to the limit of what the poll allows. I would have liked a few more options.

its a pretty individual thing, all depends on beard length, blade, concentration, for me.i just dont count them to be honest

I do 2 passes most days, and probably well over 41 actual strokes between the 2 passes. I am a straight razor user though if that makes a difference.

I do 2 passes most days, and probably well over 41 actual strokes between the 2 passes. I am a straight razor user though if that makes a difference.

I had strokes per pass in the poll. I put 41 plus per pass as I figured out I do about 200 strokes in a three pass shave.

I've never thought to count. However, I would probably get a different number for every shave. Sometimes I am in more of a rush and take longer strokes, needing less, or I am not looking for a BBS and take less.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Never counted the strokes per shave. But I'm interested in seeing what folks say.

I had strokes per pass in the poll. I put 41 plus per pass as I figured out I do about 200 strokes in a three pass shave.

Ya, I missed that part. I am still probably pretty close, but would fit better in the 2 passes 15-40 strokes category then. Sorry about that.

I do two passes on my face, but 3 on my head. Easily more than 40 total strokes per pass, but it is a lot of surface area to cover.

I will try counting over the next few days and see what I come up with. I'm pretty sure I'm in the 4+/15-40 category on most days. It part of it depends on the razor.

Not that I have ever really counted but I am a 2 pass / many strokes shaver. I find that several short overlapping strokes gets the job done best. That is if you are counting every up & down motion as a stroke. I am probably over 41 for each pass. That's alot of strokes.

I had to stop and think about this one pretty hard. My usual DE shave is three passes, 15-40 strokes per pass, so that's how I answered the poll. My usual cartridge shave would be two passes, 15-40 strokes per pass.

Not that I have ever really counted but I am a 2 pass / many strokes shaver. I find that several short overlapping strokes gets the job done best. That is if you are counting every up & down motion as a stroke. I am probably over 41 for each pass. That's alot of strokes.

I would count every cutting motion as a stroke, therefore for short overlapping strokes you would have a stroke and a return.

If I counted every up and down motion I would be near the 500 strokes that was mentioned in the original thread.

I do a four pass shave and have no idea of how many strokes I do. For me, a lot depends on the razor I am using. The more aggressive the razor the fewer strokes I take.

Top Bottom