What's new

Number of shaves per puck for various soaps....

Everytime I use a puck of soap, I mark it down. When the puck is gone, I can therefore tell exactly how many shaves I got out of it.

The amount of shaves from a puck of soap can vary a great deal from one soapmaker to another. The following were my totals for a few different soaps (YMMV):

Dr. Jon's Hydra lasted me 46 shaves.

I Coloniali lasted me 34 shaves.

Cold River Soaps Select Citron I acquired used but it appeared nearly new; it was gone in 34 shaves.

B&M's Latha in the Limon scent was gone in 33 shaves.

Now that I look at this list, they are closer to each other than I thought. But I am currently 38 shaves into a puck of Stirling and it is only between 1/4th and 1/3rd gone. These pucks are larger too (in weight), being almost 6 oz.

I also had a puck of Country Club for Men in the Orange Blossom scent that lasted me at least 108 shaves (I gave a pretty good sized portion of it away, and finished the rest in 108 shaves. This, too, was a 6-oz puck. I'm guessing that the portion I gave away was good for about 8-10 shaves, which would put it close to 120 shaves. Even for 6 oz, that's a lot more than the above-named soaps (would expect 90 shaves from a 4 oz puck, which is more than twice as much as any of the 4 I listed).

The I Coloniali may be smaller than 4 ounces.

Have you noticed a soap that lasts longer for you, or seems to disappear faster?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I only use Mitchell's Wool Fat. I don't log every shave, but a rough tally would indicate that I get around 500 shaves from one soap.

I had 79g left on the soap when I started shaving again in October, and a couple of weeks ago (?) I still had about 1/3 of a puck left. I can't remember what the second weight was, but I crunched the numbers and it worked out at around 500 shaves that I'll have had off this by the time I run out.

The only other soap I have is Palmolive shave sticks, and I'm nowhere close to finishing one.

Thanks for posting. I find this interesting. I’ve never counted shaves per soap but next new soap I use, I’ll tally my shaves as well.

I believe I get close to 60+ shaves from Stirling but that’s just what it seems like (Stirling lasted over two months with daily shaves).

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

I've been using CRSW Select coconut/lime and I have about 20 shaves so far, loaded from the puck with my B&B boar, and it's no where near 1/2 gone yet. Perhaps I'm a light loader? I generally have enough left over after 3-4 passes for at least one more pass.

I guess a lot of this depends on how much lather you make up. If your a person who makes enough lather to shave a platoon just to do it, then obviously you aren’t getting any value out of it. I generally just cover the brush with enough to face lather.

Dr. Jon's Hydra lasted me 46 shaves.

I Coloniali lasted me 34 shaves.

Cold River Soaps Select Citron I acquired used but it appeared nearly new; it was gone in 34 shaves.

B&M's Latha in the Limon scent was gone in 33 shaves.

I don't track usage on my 4 oz tubs, but your numbers seem kind of low. I know that I can usually get four or five shaves from one of those little 10 ml samples of my favorite croaps; I think that there are twelve of these to a 4 oz tub. Sixty shaves sounds like a better number for me.

My first Col. Conk puck lasted 4 mos. total. 6 single pass face shaves a week and 2 mos. of head shaves 7 days a week as well. So that was approximately 170 shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that you are a really heavy brushers. I used to keep track of my shaves based on weight after the puck/cake dried and I was getting a lot more shaves based on weight since I rarely finish a puck. I think most hard pucks I was around .3g/shave and .5g/shave for croaps.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I just finished a jar of MdC - 380 shaves. Your numbers seem a little low. I believe most people are getting 6-8 weeks on a puck.

Anyone have an idea for longevity of Grooming Department or Wholly Kaw?

In the past I got over 130 shaves out of a puck of Mama Bear's soap.

Since then I have done two things: 1) switched to synthetic brushes, and 2) loaded more heavily.
I agree that my numbers seem low. I do think I will easily get 100 shaves out of my puck of Stirling, though, and I'm using the same synthetics and the same loading technique, so some soaps obviously go faster than others.

I've got a puck of Mike's I'm working through and I think I'll easily get 60 or 70 out of that.

I just remembered that all I I brought on a recent trip was an unused T&S sample. I got six shaves with a bit of soap to spare. So around seventy-five or eighty shaves per tub with my softer soaps. And yeah, I do tend to make too much lather when I prep!

I don't keep precise track of shaves/puck as I have many in rotation.

My best estimate is that I get 3-4 months of shaves from the small Haslinger's pucks which is longer than I get with many larger pucks from other manufacturers.

I don't keep track of how many shaves I get per soap, but now I might. I have been using the same puck of Stirling each day since January, and I think it will last me till the end of April. I switch between a boar, badger, and synthetic. I think the soap would last longer if I only used a synthetic brush. I have to load heavy with the other two types.

I switch between a boar, badger, and synthetic. I think the soap would last longer if I only used a synthetic brush. I have to load heavy with the other two types.

This is what makes everything above impossible to compare. If you use a big boar, or a 30mm well stuffed badger, then you're going to use up a soap a lot faster than me using my 22-24mm badgers on the same soap.

Top Bottom