What's new

Number of shaves on a blade... over 8...why?

If I use a blade 2 times and they cost me around $12 per hundred I am only spending $18 a year on blades . or $1.50 per month...why the frugalness?!!

What blades are you buying at that price?

I usually use blades a lot longer than I should. Lately I've been trying to replace them more frequently and I think my shaves have benefited from it.

I like the idea of using dice to count shaves @dfoulk.

It's not a matter of being cheap, it's a matter of wanting good shaves & using a blade as long as it gives a good clean shave. Once it starts tugging, it's gone. But that may be 10 shaves or more. I don't keep count, I just shave.

I got 11 shaves with my injector blade. Last shave was a fantastic one. Why should I throw the blade, when I know it can give another 5 - 10 shaves ?!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just aim for 7 shaves per blade. Some blades can go for more and some seem done after 3 or 4. It is just something that I aim for. I cannot see the point in tossing a blade that is still shaving well.

I'm one of those guys who push a blade until it's done. For me, it's NOT a question of $$$ or anything like that. I don't throw a blade away while it's still usable. Once I get an unsatisfactory shave from a blade, then I bin it. If this happens mid shave, well, I've got plenty of blades and will switch. I'm not being cheap; however, I'm not being wasteful either.

I don't wipe myself once with squares off a toilet paper roll and then throw the rest of roll of toilet paper away, even if toilet paper rolls are quite inexpensive. The roll is not done being used yet. Like the blade, if I'm mid-way thru wiping, and the roll gives out, then I'll change it. But I won't change it simply because I've got a stack of toilet paper rolls.

Aside from the above, I sometimes like pushing a blade just to see how many shaves I can get from a blade. I still enjoy this DE adventure!!
That comment about toilet paper don't make sense, nobody said after using a blade that they will throw the unused blades away.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Kinda like if I was using a nice kitchen knife to cut up some carrots. Would I stop after every carrot to sharpen the knife, or course not. As long as the knife is cutting perfect then why bother.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should start cutting your carrots with razor blades and report back on how many carrots you get through per blade!

Admittedly, most blades do seem to sharpen up after the first shave and a plausible case be made to use them for a few shaves I suppose. I might even concede that someone, with fairly thin/light/soft hair, could squeeze say 7 shaves out of a blade. Injector blades can probably go a bit longer for some as they are thicker and there is more steel supporting the edge. Yet, edges wear and break down in predictable and definite ways and anyone who says that a blade shaves as good at shave 10 as shave 1 or 2 is basically full of it - there's a reason why straights get stropped as often as they do and chefs take their knives to steal repeatedly throughout the shift.

Admittedly, most blades do seem to sharpen up after the first shave and a plausible case be made to use them for a few shaves I suppose. I might even concede that someone, with fairly thin/light/soft hair, could squeeze say 7 shaves out of a blade. Injector blades can probably go a bit longer for some as they are thicker and there is more steel supporting the edge. Yet, edges wear and break down in predictable and definite ways and anyone who says that a blade shaves as good at shave 10 as shave 1 or 2 is basically full of it - there's a reason why straights get stropped as often as they do and chefs take their knives to steal repeatedly throughout the shift.

Better duck and head for cover!! I hear incoming!!! :117: :D

Obviously, your technique is still lacking.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Who wastes space in their wallet carrying one dollar bills? They’re so cheap, they only cost a buck a piece. Especially if you already have a wallet full of twenties and fifties. I mean, why would you want to clutter it up with silly little singles?

Likewise, why use anything more than the first satisfactory amount? Compared to the cost of the car, tires are pretty cheap, why run them more than six months?

If I used cheap blades I might think using ANY blade more than two times is silly. However, I have found that I get my best shaves from Feather blades and they just happen to last much longer than two shaves. I probably have several years worth of blades on hand but that has zero impact on my blade changing decision.

Even the more expensive blades are fairly cheap compared to everything else. That’s not the point. I use them until they are used up and I don’t think about the cost per shave anymore.

And you know what else? Not everyone in this great wide world is as affluent as many of us. They can’t afford to be wasteful and just toss stuff because we think it’s cheap.

That comment about toilet paper don't make sense, nobody said after using a blade that they will throw the unused blades away.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Actually it was meant to be a humorous and poignant reference to throwing a single blade away while the blade is still useful. It wasn't about throwing the entire tuck of blades away, just the one blade. For me, many blades shave better on the 2nd and 3rd shaves, and I don't throw a blade away while its still useful. To clarify my example (which followed @Jim K's reference), I guess the tuck of blades would be like a multi-pack of toilet paper - use a roll once, then throw it away, grab another roll from the pack - use a blade once, then throw it away, grab another blade from the tuck.

Sorry for the confusion.

It's not a question of technique, it's a matter of physics and chemistry.

Physics and chemistry you have no scientific support for. Only guesses about how things work. The reality is many of us get a large number of great shaves per blade. Who cares what physics and chemistry allows this to happen?

[QUOTE="GaryTha, post: 10244891, member: 123869"]...The reality is many of us get a large number of great shaves per blade. Who cares what physics and chemistry allows this to happen?[/QUOTE]

...The Van Der Hagen razor has a shallow shaving angle of 24 degrees. Maybe 22 degrees while riding the top cap a bit. This means the whiskers will be cut as if with a knife instead of hoed off with a larger shaving angle. It also means he can shave closely with virtually zero pressure. The blade doesn't have excessive exposure like a more aggressive razor might, so if he gets outside the optimum parameters, the blade will lift off the face. The chances are high that if he uses Astra SP blades or any of about eight other popular blades in the same sharpness range, he can achieve near perfection. A sample pack would contain useless blades outside this sharpness range...
GaryTha said: ↑

It would appear that you are capable of caring, and not caring, about "physics and chemistry"...at the same time!

[QUOTE="GaryTha, post: 10244891, member: 123869"]...The reality is many of us get a large number of great shaves per blade. Who cares what physics and chemistry allows this to happen?

GaryTha said: ↑

It would appear that you are capable of caring, and not caring, about "physics and chemistry"...at the same time![/QUOTE]

If Newton's wife had been hit by the apple, she would have picked it up and put it into a pie. There would be no reason for her to care about physics or chemistry so long as she made a tasty pie. I care when caring matters and don't care when it doesn't matter.

If something is cheep it does not mean you have to be wasteful ! Use blades full potential !
If blades best potential is on second and third use, then it is wise to use this potential. Of course you can cork the the first (not best) use. So you use only the best a blade can offer.

Top Bottom