What's new

Nuclear option for smell?

Sorry to clog the forum up with another smell thread. I have a turn back travel brush that I must have put away a little wet a few weeks ago (out of practice, haven’t done much travel lately). It’s developed a bit of a funk. I’ve soaked it in vinegar, dish soap, borax, and oxyclean. Not all at once though. I’ve left it with shaving soap in the knot overnight and it’s still got a bit of a smell. I’m worried that trying anything harsher will wreck the knot. Is there anything I’m missing? Has anyone ever tried boiling a brush? If it makes a difference is a T&H super badger knot.

Wow, too bad. I bet someone here will have a good option for you to get rid of the smell. I hope you do, that's a nice brush!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Give some Liquid Castile soap a try that was the only thing that took the wet dog smell out of my omega boar.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would try drying it in the warm sun.

If that is not an option, a sunny window sill?

Are you drying it out, or allowing it to dry completely before moving on to the next shampoo, soap, etc?

Hopefully you can come up with something my friend, but a good warm sunny day is a good mildew prevention. Can't hurt to try?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If it's mildew, you have to kill the bacteria in it. Soak it in something like Superior 70 which is an alcoholado...Bay Rum and rubbing alcohol mixture. Put some in a bowl and let the brush sit in it for a while. Kill the bacteria that's causing the smell.

Try soaking the knot in laundry detergent solution, then rinse & put the brush out in the bright sunshine and fresh air for awhile to dry.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Prime example I always recommend a synthetic brush for travel. I used to use a badger and forgot it only once to take out after a trip and dry. Same happened, it stank of mildew. Really do not recall how I got rid of it, but might have dipped it in diluted bactericide or such. Putting the slightly moist synthetic away never gave any problem or stink issues; and I never had to take it out after a trip to dry.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m going to try Mar-v-cide to wipe out anything growing in there. I figure that either it’ll fix the brush or kill it. If it kills it I’ll just replace it.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Let us know it that works, all my recommendations would be what you tried in post 1 (and has worked to get rid of any new brush funk) so just curious how this unfolds. Hope it works out.

Dawn dishwashing liquid! It breaks down the musky oils that cause the offensive smells. We used that to deodorize our dog who never learned to stop chasing skunks.

Top Bottom