What's new

Noxzema

Is this store bought Noxzema any dfferent from the Nixzema Protective Shaving Cream ? Yes I know the later is a shave cream but does it provide the same preshave assistance ? If you use the harder to find Shaving Cream then you may not need the “regular stuff” is what I’m wondering. Anyone have any comparative experiences ?

First thing I looked for was sunburn in this thread. I like Noxema but have never tried it prior to shaving. Man it works on sunburns though! I try to be better with the sunscreen now...but in 2013 summer I got roasted on a trip to DC and Virginia beach...slathered Noxema on constantly.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SheaButter+EquateJPG.JPG

First thing I looked for was sunburn in this thread. I like Noxema but have never tried it prior to shaving. Man it works on sunburns though! I try to be better with the sunscreen now...but in 2013 summer I got roasted on a trip to DC and Virginia beach...slathered Noxema on constantly.

Equate, a Noxzema knockoff from Walmart, next to Noxzema in the aisle, is a bit better product, I think, and a bit cheaper. Nothing wrong with the Noxzema brand, but it used to be better, and the knockoff still is.

Might as well have the shea butter, too. Great stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’ve used Original Noxzema for years. I love it for the incredibly clean, refreshing feeling I get, even just for washing my face. It is a bit drying however, so when using for prep, I follow with a few drops of Now Food Grade Glycerin. I never have left it on under the lather. I’ve also not tried knockoffs because the Noxzema is fairly cheap (as is the glycerin), so I can’t compare.

FWIW I recently became a tester for the (hopefully) soon to be released Grooming Dept preshave, known at the moment as “V35”. I’ve documented my results in another forum, where I go by “HighSpeed”. V35 has me utterly blown away, so I encourage all to keep it on the radar.

I read here some guys use it to shave with all alone. I use it as a undercoat.

Yeah. I used to use it as a shave cream on its own years back when I was using a cartridge razor. Haven’t tried it in a long time since but it worked fine back then.

Can you use the Noxzema Ultimate Clear Daily Deep Pore Cleanser, as a preshave or does it have too be the original?

I'm assuming ya'll don't have a problem with it killing your soap/cream's lather? I've tried a few different preshave oils and other things over the years, they seem to always dissipate the lather, so it was kind of pointless.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm assuming ya'll don't have a problem with it killing your soap/cream's lather? I've tried a few different preshave oils and other things over the years, they seem to always dissipate the lather, so it was kind of pointless.

I wash it off in the shower before lathering, but I hear guys use it as an actual preshave and I've read of people using it as a shaving cream (with a straight razor).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I used it with my Mitchell’s Wool Fat as a preshave and it had a awful scent when mixed with the Mitchell’s so I’ll probably just use it for a face wash.

Both of my parents used Noxzema alone as shaving cream (the original facial cleanser/sunburn cream, not the one specifically called shaving cream). I tried it when I was out of shaving cream, and it did a good job in a pinch.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
With the somewhat cold weather, and the heat being on, and the insides of my home and office being dry, I've been having a minor amount of dry skin issues. Also an equally minor amount of slightly burned feeling skin at times.

It's not been bad...and I know bad having suffered from winter chapped skin on my face for long spells (like back in high school and college). Those bad times taught me the value of the version of Noxzema which was available then (and isn't now).

1610426420486.png

Fortunately, we now have the Equate brand, a Noxzema knock off, which is, I think, exactly the same as the old time, excellent Noxzema of decades ago.

Even better I have the stuff at hand. I've been applying it at night sometimes. It has, as I expected, pretty much entirely taken care of the problems.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.CoconutBay.480.12-20.JPG

In other words, my old friend, discovered in the 1960s, has come through for me once again. By Combining Equate/Noxzema at night with hyaluronic acid and Brickell Face Moisturizer post shave I'm golden. My skin is comfortable, and also healthy looking.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom