What's new

Noxzema

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With the somewhat cold weather, and the heat being on, and the insides of my home and office being dry, I've been having a minor amount of dry skin issues. Also an equally minor amount of slightly burned feeling skin at times.

It's not been bad...and I know bad having suffered from winter chapped skin on my face for long spells (like back in high school and college). Those bad times taught me the value of the version of Noxzema which was available then (and isn't now).

View attachment 1207477

Fortunately, we now have the Equate brand, a Noxzema knock off, which is, I think, exactly the same as the old time, excellent Noxzema of decades ago.

Even better I have the stuff at hand. I've been applying it at night sometimes. It has, as I expected, pretty much entirely taken care of the problems.

View attachment 1207483

In other words, my old friend, discovered in the 1960s, has come through for me once again. By Combining Equate/Noxzema at night with hyaluronic acid and Brickell Face Moisturizer post shave I'm golden. My skin is comfortable, and also healthy looking.

Happy shaves,

Jim
THANK YOU BRO. JIM!

I will definitely be looking to get some the next time I feel like shopping in my new MSU Spartans footed onesie pajamas I got for Christmas.

They are the perfect attire for Walmart, and I have some old Johnston and Murphy slip on shoes that my footies barely fit into!

With the somewhat cold weather, and the heat being on, and the insides of my home and office being dry, I've been having a minor amount of dry skin issues. Also an equally minor amount of slightly burned feeling skin at times.

It's not been bad...and I know bad having suffered from winter chapped skin on my face for long spells (like back in high school and college). Those bad times taught me the value of the version of Noxzema which was available then (and isn't now).

View attachment 1207477

Fortunately, we now have the Equate brand, a Noxzema knock off, which is, I think, exactly the same as the old time, excellent Noxzema of decades ago.

Even better I have the stuff at hand. I've been applying it at night sometimes. It has, as I expected, pretty much entirely taken care of the problems.

View attachment 1207483

In other words, my old friend, discovered in the 1960s, has come through for me once again. By Combining Equate/Noxzema at night with hyaluronic acid and Brickell Face Moisturizer post shave I'm golden. My skin is comfortable, and also healthy looking.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I like Lucky Tiger Vanishing creme before the shave (toweled-off with a super-hot wash cloth), and Vaseline IntensiveCare diluted with WitchHazel after the shave

I've used Noxema as a preshave for a few years up until this week (more on that below). I always thought it was good, but I wouldn't use it under the shave cream because I found that the Noxema clogged the razor (1959 Fat Boy). So I would put the Noxema on my face after my shower, while I was whipping up my lather. Then I would wash off the Noxema and lather up.

One thing I've always noticed was that my face looked a bit red and irritated after every shave. But this weekend I went to a barber shop for a shave and they used their own preshave oil under the lather. It smelled great, and I noticed that I had no redness or irritation. So I bought a couple of bottles and have been using it this week. My shaves are closer, and the irritation and redness is gone! So I'm now off of Noxema as a preshave and will be using this preshave oil exclusively.

I'll start a separate thread on the preshave oil I'm using. It's from Gino's Barber Shop in Atlanta.

Noxema contains alot of ingredients that can be very sensitizing. The older formulation even had phenol, which is something that is completely prohibited in cosmetics in many countries now (it will eat through many paints).

I have some of the older formulation and use it once in a while as it is highly exfoliating and deep cleaning, but I would not use it on shaved skin unless you have very tough skin.

Noxema was originally used as an alternative to soap by young women- commercial soap bars used to be quite harsh and were often devoid of glycerin. The phenols would help to prevent acne. Uses of it for sunburn and so on, are folk remedies.

FarmerTan

Noxema contains alot of ingredients that can be very sensitizing. The older formulation even had phenol, which is something that is completely prohibited in cosmetics in many countries now (it will eat through many paints).

I have some of the older formulation and use it once in a while as it is highly exfoliating and deep cleaning, but I would not use it on shaved skin unless you have very tough skin.

Noxema was originally used as an alternative to soap by young women- commercial soap bars used to be quite harsh and were often devoid of glycerin. The phenols would help to prevent acne. Uses of it for sunburn and so on, are folk remedies.
Yeah, my dad was a folk hero in his own mind!

He always lathered us from nose to toes in "the old formula" for sunburns 50 years and more ago, and the next day we were all little Tanned Farmers! Lol, of course we all may have raging skin cancers under our top layers, but I was told years ago by a fortune teller I was gonna die at the hands of a jealous husband.

I gave up Noxema as a preshave years ago. I use a preshave oil that I create myself consisting of 50% Grapeseed oil, 25% Jojoba oil, and 25% Almond oil. As a scent additive, I use either lemon essential oil or lavender essential oil (I have two bottles made up). It works great and smells great.

My sister-in-law once told me she never used soap to wash her face; only Noxzema. She had the most beautiful skin of any woman over forty I've ever met. She didn't wear makeup, and didn't need it. Was it the Noxzema, genetics, or a combination of the two? I don't know and I never will.

I tried Noxzema as a pre-shave this morning. Using the same setup of razor, blade, brush, and soap I've used all week and I got much better results. Was it the Noxzema? I don't know. They say once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern. I have two more shaves this week to see if it is a pattern. Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow...

I use it alone to shave with. Soothes my face. My oldest remedy for sensitive skin!
I just ran across a YT video of a guy using it to shave his head. I haven't tried it yet, but for the price it's worth a shot. The local Wally World sells a 12 ounce tub of Equate for less 3 dollars. Worst case, I'll have a jar of facial cleanser.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use it alone to shave with. Soothes my face. My oldest remedy for sensitive skin!

A woman I know who's been a barber for something like fifty+ years always uses it as a shaving cream/shaving soap (and nothing else with it). She says it's a secret (and I was lucky to have her share it with me), but all you gentlemen already know of the secret (and there are YouTube videos about the secret).

Happy shaves,

Jim

My vintage Jar says for sunburns printed on the label

MSU Spartans

First off....GO GREEN!!! I bleed Green and White.

Second, I've been using Noxema as an important part of my preshave routine for a while now. I have a huge tub of the original formulation and just put a dab on my face, leave it on while I'm prepping my brush, rinse and shave away.

I've never had better shaves in my life.

FarmerTan

First off....GO GREEN!!! I bleed Green and White.

Second, I've been using Noxema as an important part of my preshave routine for a while now. I have a huge tub of the original formulation and just put a dab on my face, leave it on while I'm prepping my brush, rinse and shave away.

I've never had better shaves in my life.
Go White!

My friend, you have inspired me to get some (or the "Equate" brand) the next time I break quarantine!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

No doubt. I can't imagine putting something with so much phenol on damaged skin and wounds. By the 1950's and 60's, my parents generation was using aloe vera.
You have just made me realize how often I have used an aloe leaf to literally take the burn out of a minor burn from the kitchen or wood stove. I wish I'd thought of an aloe leaf when my face was angry after a Slant Razor shave earlier this week!

You have just made me realize how often I have used an aloe leaf to literally take the burn out of a minor burn from the kitchen or wood stove. I wish I'd thought of an aloe leaf when my face was angry after a Slant Razor shave earlier this week!

My grandma grew aloe for that purpose. I think lots of people did back in the day.

Where I live, in Florida, it's not uncommon to find aloe in a bottle for drinking.

FarmerTan

My grandma grew aloe for that purpose. I think lots of people did back in the day.

Where I live, in Florida, it's not uncommon to find aloe in a bottle for drinking.
I actually bought an aloe "concentrate" once for what seemed like a small fortune from some pyramid scheme, er, multilevel marketer. Just add water. Was supposed to make me live forever, as I recall. Might have worked, as I'm still alive at the time of this post.

If I remember correctly it didn't taste terrible.

No doubt. I can't imagine putting something with so much phenol on damaged skin and wounds. By the 1950's and 60's, my parents generation was using aloe vera.
Phenol smells wonderful. I love the smell of the original formula Noxema (and the Walmart Equate version) due to the wonderful aroma.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom