What's new

Noxzema

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This afternoon I hung out for a while with a lady who has, she says, been a barber for longer than most people have been alive. I'd say she's older than me, and I've got a twenty-five year old grandson.

Anyway, we mostly talked about shaving. She doesn't do much shaving anymore because most people have no interest when they find out she charges for a shave - because of the time involved - more than she charges for a haircut. I think she said a shave is $25.
Noxzema.jpg
One of her shaving tips was to use regular old-fashioned, strong smelling Noxzema right out of the jar, applying it to the face under the shaving cream. She said it is very protective. Apparently it's a big part of her routine over the decades.

I am merely reporting, and have no experience using Noxzema that way.

Happy shaves,
'
Jim

I've tried different pre-shave oils and ointments over the years, and nothing seemed to work well enough for me that I ever made it through one bottle/tub before I quit using it. Never found one that was worth the expense, time, or trouble to use it.
Several months ago, I was ordering some stuff from Maggards, and was a few dollars shy of the free-shipping amount (ain't that always the way?), so my usual procedure is to go look at soap/AS samples. I saw the Proraso pre-shave was available as a sample and thought I'd give it a shot. After using it, I think I decided that I liked the additional menthol effect more than anything, but it did seem to help with the shave in a small way. I came to B&B to look up and see what others had said about using it, and came across many recommendations to use Noxzema in its place. With this seed planted, next time I went to the store, I went and looked and noticed that a couple of large tubs of the store brand stuff was on the clearance rack. I bought it, and sure enough it was very similar to the Proraso in use. Unless I'm using one of my better soaps or am looking to avoid the cooling effect, I tend to scoop out a bit and spread it on before every shave. I kind of like it, and it really is perfect if you're going for a Proraso Green shave with soap and AS.

I mostly shave right after a shower. On rare occasions that I do not, I wash my face with Noxzema and than reapply before lathering. Almost guaranties me a nice smooth shave. Also works well under a hot towel.

There are some old threads that propose that store brand Noxzema is actually better than the real thing. My recollection is that Noxzema was originally developed for sunburn relief and included menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus. The modern name brand recipe leaves out the camphor and eucalyptus (if memory serves) but the generic store brands still follow the original recipe for the most part. Not only less expensive but may be better. In short, read the label and YMMV. I have had success with both the Proraso preshave and Noxzema.

The one I use is Walmart's "Equate" brand. It has the camphor and eucalyptus, and is a very good match with Proraso Green soap and cream. I don't know what size the tub is off the top of my head, but it's a big 'un and I paid less than $3. Like I said, that was with a clearance price, but I don't think the regular price on it is more than another buck or two. (I'm not sure why the one I bought was clearanced, actually. I know they still sell it, same size, label, and everything. Weird.)

certainly a base layer of noxzema is protective, plus the aroma of camphor, clove
and eucalyptus give a signature touch.

she might be reminiscent of the old days of noxzema shave cream!

noxzema gillette aqua velva june 3 2015 back  label.jpg

Years ago a barber I went to used Noxema as part of his shaving prep. He would wet the patron's face, rub Noxema all over the individual's face and neck, and then put a wet hot towel over the areas. I don't know if the shave was any better, but the combo of a hot towel with the cooling of Noxema sure felt great.

During hot weather, I will put generic Noxzema on my beard in the shower. It always results in a super-smooth, extremely comfortable shave. It works just as well as Proraso Pre-shave, at a fraction of the cost.

During the early '90s, I worked in a P&G factory in Hunt Valley, MD where they made Noxzema shaving cream. You'd be surprised to see the manufacturing process. They mix it up in 3,000 gallon tubs, and those glass jars would shoot off the assembly line at 200 per minute. We'd put out enough in one shift to fill up a tractor-trailer. If I'd known what a sensation wet-shaving would become, I would have invested in a couple of pallets of those little blue jars.

My grandfather was an old-school barber, and he had access at work to all kinds of fancy straight-razors and high-end soaps and creams and aftershaves. But you know what he used to shave himself at home? A Superspeed and Noxzema.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My grandfather was an old-school barber, and he had access at work to all kinds of fancy straight-razors and high-end soaps and creams and aftershaves. But you know what he used to shave himself at home? A Superspeed and Noxzema.

Great stories!

Did your grandfather use Noxzema like the kind in a jar as a straight shaving cream with nothing else?

Cool!

Great stories!

Did your grandfather use Noxzema like the kind in a jar as a straight shaving cream with nothing else?

Cool!
Yes, it was the pink stuff in a blue glass jar.

That, plus water, was all he used to shave with. It didn't make a lot of lather, but it didn't have to. It gave a great shave every time.

I've used Noxema as a preshave for a few years up until this week (more on that below). I always thought it was good, but I wouldn't use it under the shave cream because I found that the Noxema clogged the razor (1959 Fat Boy). So I would put the Noxema on my face after my shower, while I was whipping up my lather. Then I would wash off the Noxema and lather up.

One thing I've always noticed was that my face looked a bit red and irritated after every shave. But this weekend I went to a barber shop for a shave and they used their own preshave oil under the lather. It smelled great, and I noticed that I had no redness or irritation. So I bought a couple of bottles and have been using it this week. My shaves are closer, and the irritation and redness is gone! So I'm now off of Noxema as a preshave and will be using this preshave oil exclusively.

I'll start a separate thread on the preshave oil I'm using. It's from Gino's Barber Shop in Atlanta.

My face super sensitive with sparse uneven copper wire beard growth. Proraso preshave only branded preshave to work any good. Tried noxzema on a lark and got even better results. Use it under every lather from cella to abc. Its magic even if detracts from scent of soap/crème.

May have to try ginos since in atl

Good Lord, the glass jars of Noxema...I’d forgotten about it being in glass jars...that, and Vick’s Vapo Rub in glass jars!
Every once in awhile I’ll smear on some Noxema a half hour before showering, wash it off and lather up the soap or cream with no pre-shave. Works okay for me. On the rare occasions i’ve smeared on some Noxema as a strictly pre-shave before lathering on top of it, it really depends on the soap or cream I’m lathering. Something like Godrej Menthol Mist, no problem. Something spicier like a sandalwood it doesn’t smell all that good, at least to me. A pre-shower treatment, no problem, but as a strict pre-shave, it all depends on what’s being lathered on top.

dpm802, as to your regret over not scooping up a skid or two of Noxema when you worked there, I know what you mean. A billion years ago I worked in a Clarks Shoes warehouse and we’d get returns all the time from dissatisfied customers...the lace broke, the insole rubs my bunion, the suede doesn’t stay clean, yadda yadda. The mailroom would set aside the barely worn pairs and us drones in the warehouse could scoop up free Wallabees, Desert Boots, Treks, what have you. We’d even get returns from the big chains like Eatons and Simpsons (Canadians might remember those names) because the shoebox was split open at a corner..ever hear of Scotch Tape, you dummies...and you wonder why you never hear of Eatons or Simpsons. Well, being a moron teenager, I considered those shoes purely for “old people”.
Guess what, I’m old now and and I like Desert Boots. However, they cost upwards of $150...ugghhh, wotta goof.

Two Questions:

1) For those who have tried both, will Nivea work as well? (Noxzema was hard to find a few years back, judging by this thread it must have made a comeback)

2)Will the benefits mentioned above be as apparent to face latherers?

I face lather, and I find Noxema to be an effective pre-shave. I did not use pre-shaves before switching to facelathering, so I can't give you a honest comparison.

I have tried both Proraso and Noxema as pre shaves. I like the Proraso best, but both work. The big tubs of Proraso are a good deal, but Noxema is cheaper, especially if you use store brand imitations. I agree the soap scent determines the use. They are a luxury on menthol days for me.

Top Bottom