What's new

Noxzema lather in the tube-do I wish it was still around

Guys, a few days ago I went for a haircut and a shave at the barbershop near my house. My barber's a guy around 65, very with it, very funny, and a master of the straight razor. He said to me he had a little treat for me, so after he hot toweled and prepped my face, he said "just for you!" He took out a tube of Noxzema lather cream. He put a dab or 2 on my cheeks and chin, wet a brush that he reserves just for me, and blew up such a wonderful lather I was in shaving heaven. The last time I shaved with that stuff was in 1994, because it was discontinued. I left the shop after having one of the most wonderful shaves of my life. If only I could get that cream again:crying: do I miss it! Well, c'est la vie I guess.

Jeff

smoothfacejeff said:
Not a bad idea, the tube as I remember is about 90% full. Did you ever use that stuff?

Jeff

I've never used it before but from the way you describe it, I wish I had the opportunity. :biggrin:

J

JohnK

At the end of 2005, you lamented the fact that Noxzema shave cream was no longer around. That may be so, but there may be an acceptable substitute for you. Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream is available and I have used it as my shaving cream for years. It comes in blue jars and I buy the largest 14 ounce size. You can buy it in almost any drugstore for $5 or $6 (US). There are 2 versions and the one that works best for me is the one labeled "Original". Use it sparingly. Not much is needed, just a light to medium coat on your skin. Fragrance is fairly strong eucalyptus-menthol but rinsing it off gets rid of most of the fragrance. Very cool on the skin. Haven't tried it with a brush but I don't imagine that it would lather up very well. However, it works just fine without a lather. I have tried a number of different soaps and creams over my 50 years of shaving and like this as well as anything I have used. I imagine that some of the expensive soaps and creams might be just as good or even better but this cheap stuff (not even real shaving cream) gives me a good shave and I have no inclination to pay a lot of money for something that I may or may not like any better than what I already have. Try it. You may like it.

One of my more pleasant memories from being a kid. My father used the noxema shave cream all the time. The smell as he lathered it up with a brush was so, safe I guess. I have wondered if the palmolive scent is the same? I find the colgate, in the can (we have it at work for patients) smells somewhat similar, very fatherly and such. Colgate is made by palmolive too.

Darren

no, Darren, not at all. Noxzema, if anything bears a resemblance in scent to Proraso in the green tube or bowl. I have a tube of Palmolive and the scent is completely different, although it's very good also.

Jeff

I would say the scent of noxzema reminds me of the Proraso Pre/Post moreso thatn the cream or soap.

I would say the scent of noxzema reminds me of the Proraso Pre/Post moreso thatn the cream or soap.

WRONG. :thumbdown :hand:

Noxzema, if it must be compared to anything scent-wise, it would be Proraso soap in the green bowl. It's similiar yes, but Noxzema lather cream has a certain "TANG", a certain "OOOMPF" that can't be found anywhere else. I've always thought of the Noxzema scent as being a bit cinnamony :biggrin:

p.s.

ebay auction 1

ebay auction 2

Proraso Pre/Post cream
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Camphor, Eucalyptus globulus, Potassium Hydroxide, Menthol, Parfum, Amyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Cetearyl Alchol, Eucalyptol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Methychloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Noxzema Cleansing Cream (original)
Water, Stearic Acid, Soybean Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Linseed Oil, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Gelatin, Calcium Hydroxide, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptus Oil, Carbomer, Triethanolamine

JMT said:

Noxzema, if it must be compared to anything scent-wise, it would be Proraso soap in the green bowl. It's similiar yes, but Noxzema lather cream has a certain "TANG", a certain "OOOMPF" that can't be found anywhere else. I've always thought of the Noxzema scent as being a bit cinnamony :biggrin:

Jim
You might be wrong-
But you have never been rude,overbearing or anything other than a gentleman.

old shaver said:

If you read the post I said the it reminds ME of the pre/post.

By the way, how's the auction going?

Noxzema Cleansing Cream (original)
Water, Stearic Acid, Soybean Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Linseed Oil, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Gelatin, Calcium Hydroxide, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptus Oil, Carbomer, Triethanolamine

WRONG :hand:

INGREDIENTS FOR THE WONDERFUL, EXQUISITE, METICULOUS NOXZEMA LATHER SHAVE CREAM

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Suffocetate, Parfum, Phenoxethanol, Camphor, Sodium Metasillicate, Menthol, Dichlorobenzyl, Peppermint Oil, Eugenol, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl, Benzoate, Citral, Isoeugenol, Coumarin.

:thumbup:

Uh, do you always misunderstand what people are saying? Because I was just comparing Noxzema cleansing cream with the proraso pre/post cream. I did not and was not comparing anything to the shave cream. You may want to re-read my post.

old shaver said:
WRONG :hand:

INGREDIENTS FOR THE WONDERFUL, EXQUISITE, METICULOUS NOXZEMA LATHER SHAVE CREAM

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Suffocetate, Parfum, Phenoxethanol, Camphor, Sodium Metasillicate, Menthol, Dichlorobenzyl, Peppermint Oil, Eugenol, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl, Benzoate, Citral, Isoeugenol, Coumarin.

:thumbup:

Please check your PM's. We are getting a lot of complaints.

Top Bottom