What's new

NOXZEMA classic cream

kllllllll.jpg
kllllll.jpg
klllll.jpg

My dad would use nothing else but the bottle was newer. This goes back aways. I personally loved the canned foam but not the jar. Wish they'd bring it back. The small writing says, "Compounded in a secret base". Maybe Area 51?

My dad would use nothing else but the bottle was newer. This goes back aways. I personally loved the canned foam but not the jar. Wish they'd bring it back. The small writing says, "Compounded in a secret base". Maybe Area 51?
Haha would never have caught the “compounded in a secret base” sentence. Thanks for pointing that out.

I remember reading decades ago the base was made with swine gelatin , also true for the old blue jar skin cream. That old skin cream was LOADED with camphor, eucalyptus and menthol, I really wish we could buy the original formula product today , as well as the original Italian Noxzema cream in the tube .

I remember reading decades ago the base was made with swine gelatin , also true for the old blue jar skin cream. That old skin cream was LOADED with camphor, eucalyptus and menthol, I really wish we could buy the original formula product today , as well as the original Italian Noxzema cream in the tube .
I read somewhere someone said 50+ years ago they worked at a plant in NJ where they made this stuff and how they loaded up several 100s of jars on a truck at 4am and made runs to some place or another. Must have dispensed like ice cream at the Tastee Freeze.

I asked the folks at Catie's Bubbles if their High Menthol was anything like Noxzema. Of course, no one there was old enough to remember it.

@malocchio great post. Thank you.

First reaction was that this was a nicely preserved little jar until I read the label that shows it contained 4 pounds of shaving cream! How big is the jar? It was really only for the Barber Trade, per the label, or for the average B&B shaver. 🙂

Thanks for the ride down memory lane @malocchio ! When I was a kid me and my siblings spent summers on my grandparents farm. I was years away from shaving but once in a blue moon my grandfather would take me to the only barber shop they had in their small farming town of about 500 souls. It was always early on a Saturday morning and he would get a shave and a hair cut for about 3 bucks (I just got a haircut). Among the various shaving gear on a shelf above the mirror was a good sized jar of Noxema shaving cream that looked very much like the one in your picture. I had forgotten all about it until I saw your post. Man does that bring back memories!

@malocchio great post. Thank you.

First reaction was that this was a nicely preserved little jar until I read the label that shows it contained 4 pounds of shaving cream! How big is the jar? It was really only for the Barber Trade, per the label, or for the average B&B shaver. 🙂
Strictly for the barbershop, however you could go to a barber supply and buy one with no problem.This jar contained the truly legendary Noxzema formula, they really need to bring it back. Not sure why they used " synthetic " camphor, since it was relatively cheap in those days .

Strictly for the barbershop, however you could go to a barber supply and buy one with no problem.This jar contained the truly legendary Noxzema formula, they really need to bring it back. Not sure why they used " synthetic " camphor, since it was relatively cheap in those days .
There was a time 'synthetic' probably had the connotation of 'better'. During the space race era science was king.

It's the shame both the cream and foam were discontinued. I got my dad to try the foam once, but he went right back to the jar cream. That was well over 50 years ago or maybe right at 50.

Top Bottom