What's new

Noxzema...best canned goo?

i think i may have to give up my search for a brushless cream for my old man, basically he won't use a brush but i wanted to get him something better than canned foam.

so far i've tried Boots and Ingrams and they just don't cut it, maybe all brushless creams are like this.

as for Lush, the wife uses that on her bits 'n bobs as i relegated that very quickly due to the fact it's glue for your razor.

we can still get Noxzema in a can over here, light blue one, and was wondering if it's any good (he likes menthol) or if not what's the best canned foam/gel for him to use?

Hando, haven't used it, so can't comment, but am always interested in a good brushless/canned cream for rush days. Where can this be bought from? I thought it was an American thing.

Hando - got a 50ml can of Noxzema here - it's had one mini squirtlet out of it to make sure it still worked (just now) - PM address and I'll contravene Royal Mail's guidelines and post to you.

I've never used the Noxema....but have used the Nivea canned gel(not the foam) and it was fantastic.

Almost as good as using the creams......

That's what I used until I discovered the "wet shaving world", either the light blue one or the white one for sensitive skin, and was my favourite amongst canned shaving creams...

Noxcema Story #1:
I used to work in the factory where they made Noxzema ... a Proctor & Gamble plant in Hunt Valley, MD, circa 1993. It was the worst job I've ever had in my life.

They mixed it up in tubs that were as big as a two-story house, put it through an automated assembly line that was about 300 feet long, and pumped out those jars at about one per second, 16 hours a day.

If I had known about the wet-shaving revolution, though, I would have stockpiled those little blue jars by the caseload.

Noxzema Story #2:
My grandfather was an old-school barber. He learned his craft as a young boy in Poland, then brought those skills to Baltimore when he immigrated in 1923. I still have his original Maryland Barber's License, dated 1926.

Anyway, as a barber, he used all kinds of great tools and products in his shop. He had access to all sorts of things for grooming. But in his own bathroom at home, when he shaved himself, what do you think he used?
A jar of Noxzema!

Septic, PM on it's way, thank you very kindly:biggrin:

David, nice stories, thanks for sharing them

i found the Ingrams (green) in a local pharmacy
Superdrug only has the blue

i've read that the KissMyFace brushless is pretty good but it might be discontinued?

Last edited:
Noxzema seems quite thick compared with other shaving foams; I remember a few years ago their marketing in UK magazines centred around this point. Its packaging is nice too, in that very solid can.

However, I had to throw my last two cans of it out when they were still two-thirds full because they both rusted so much (and this was when they were getting day to day usage)!

Another decent "canned goo" is the Aveeno stuff. It is unscented and like most Aveeno products is oatmeal based.
I used it a lot before I saw the light od triple milled hard soaps. Pretty decent stuff.
Plain old Barbasol isn't too bad either.

Aveeno is pretty decent stuff for canned gel. Nivea's Sensitive Skin Shaving Gel is also fairy decent. I have used both before switching to wet shaving with good results, and will still occasionally use the Nivea Shaving Gel if I'm in a real hurry.

I used to use the Noxzema blue tins. Thought it worked quite well with a strong menthol blast. It was a bit pricier than Gillete gels etc but I remember it was very widely available - Boots, Tesco and others.

Agree with some of the posters that of all the canned goos, Aveeno is probably the best.

I still use it as part of a modified Kyle's prep sometimes.

Noxcema Story #1:
I used to work in the factory where they made Noxzema ... a Proctor & Gamble plant in Hunt Valley, MD, circa 1993. It was the worst job I've ever had in my life.

They mixed it up in tubs that were as big as a two-story house, put it through an automated assembly line that was about 300 feet long, and pumped out those jars at about one per second, 16 hours a day.

If I had known about the wet-shaving revolution, though, I would have stockpiled those little blue jars by the caseload.

Noxzema Story #2:
My grandfather was an old-school barber. He learned his craft as a young boy in Poland, then brought those skills to Baltimore when he immigrated in 1923. I still have his original Maryland Barber's License, dated 1926.

Anyway, as a barber, he used all kinds of great tools and products in his shop. He had access to all sorts of things for grooming. But in his own bathroom at home, when he shaved himself, what do you think he used?
A jar of Noxzema!

Interesting stories.

I think there is a difference between a jar and a can though. The jar has less additives (most likely) as it is a different product (a brushless cream), whereas the can is condensed foam that is released via propane and butane.

Do they still make Noxema in jars? That might be an interesting one to try some day.

Does anyone remember when Joe Namath of the New York Jets used to do those Noxema commercials back in the 1970's?

"Let Noxema cream your face!"

Hando,

I really enjoy Erasmic shave cream & soap.

I think the UK is really lucky to have it readily available on drug store shelves. It has a great classic old-time barbershop scent to it. Shaves just great. I have never tried Erasmic Foam but I know they produce it in Aloe Vera or Lemon/Lime formulations. I have bought Erasmic here before. I have included the link below. :001_smile

http://www.healthinajiffy.co.uk/erasmic-m-135.html

Riley

thanks for that mate, i had no idea Erasmic made that kind of product.
i hope you've stocked up on the tallow based shave sticks then, as they've changed the formula

Noxzema and Erasmic....the two products i simply can't use due to their names. One reminds me of Eczema and the other of orgasmic, neither one i would want on my face.

lo and behold there is a local chemist who stocks Erasmic shave foam 99p a can.
looks like the old boy's got more stuff to try soon.
a quick look at the ingredients and Erasmic seems very similar to the Palmolive foam

Top Bottom