What's new

Nowhere left to run away to: The final days of the circus

I never saw the Ringling Brothers but I did join the cirus as a kid.( with okay from my folks ) It was the ROYAL HANNEFORD CIRCUS. Which is still going. I took a job with them as horse handle, the summer between my junior and senior year of highschool . Not something I would have wanted for a life time career but it was kind of fun and not something other kids did for a summer job. I made the front page of our local paper, still have the clippings too.
It is a shame that the Ringling Bros. show is ending, But you have to realize that ciruses and other type traveling shows started befor TV and Radio. When that was what people had for entertainment it was a big deal to go to the circus. Now there are just not enough people willing to go when they have so many other choices.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I never saw the Ringling Brothers but I did join the cirus as a kid.( with okay from my folks ) It was the ROYAL HANNEFORD CIRCUS. Which is still going. I took a job with them as horse handle, the summer between my junior and senior year of highschool . Not something I would have wanted for a life time career but it was kind of fun and not something other kids did for a summer job. I made the front page of our local paper, still have the clippings too.
[...].
David:
Not to get off-thread, but that is $Sooo Cool.png...you gotta scan & post the clippings dude! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"The circus is the only fun you can buy that is good for you". Ernest Hemingway

It is a shame that the Ringling Bros. show is ending, But you have to realize that ciruses and other type traveling shows started befor TV and Radio. When that was what people had for entertainment it was a big deal to go to the circus. Now there are just not enough people willing to go when they have so many other choices.
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The movie that I stole the "I thought I smelled cabbage" post. The quality is awful, but this was the scene that popped into my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Not to 'hijack' my own Thread, but there any smaller regional (old fashioned), Circuses in your locale (or just 'passing through')
proxy.php

Here's one coming through our small town of DeRidder, LA (The Bayou State), this month (don't know as of yet if there are any discouts [active, veteran, student ect...], involved).
proxy.php

Circus In DeRidder, LA.jpg

449840-ceb7f67554420f0dfbb3b10128e6fea7.jpg
"It is the only spectacle I know, that, while you watch it, gives the quality of a truly happy dream". Ernest Hemingway

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Send in the clowns.
proxy.php

For lack of a better word, there may be the demise of the 'big-big top' operations, but there's many smaller circus's still in operation that still have elephant (and other animal), acts. :blushing:

Yesterday, the Garden Bros. Circus made a stop through Lake Charles, LA touting:

Circus Logo.jpg

"Last chance to see Elephants live!
‘Motorcycle Madness’ has motorcycle daredevils somersaulting and spinning in a big Globe of Doom; Chinese Acrobats, the Human Slingshot, Racing Camels, crazy comedy with Circus Clowns, daring aerialists; cirque artists. Its 1½ hours of excitement and fun".

Any smaller circus's making stops in your city...please post about it.

proxy.php
"[There's] Something about the circus that stirs the soul...F". Erin Mogenstern

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
We have the Royal Hanniford circus every year at our local Jaffa Shrine. I've seen some of the performers on America's Got Talent this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Send in the clowns.
proxy.php

For lack of a better word, there may be the demise of the 'big-big top' operations, but there's many smaller circus's still in operation that still have elephant (and other animal), acts. :blushing:

Yesterday, the Garden Bros. Circus made a stop through Lake Charles, LA touting:

View attachment 822078

"Last chance to see Elephants live!
‘Motorcycle Madness’ has motorcycle daredevils somersaulting and spinning in a big Globe of Doom; Chinese Acrobats, the Human Slingshot, Racing Camels, crazy comedy with Circus Clowns, daring aerialists; cirque artists. Its 1½ hours of excitement and fun".

Any smaller circus's making stops in your city...please post about it.
Well, lo & belohd...The Jordan World Circus comes through my town (DeRidder, LA), tomorrow (22 Aug 19), at our Parish (County), Civic Center.
proxy.php

proxy.php

This circus touts;
"With three rings of affordable family fun, "Jordan World Circus" will thrill fans of all ages. Come see the death-defying aerial acts, animal attractions including tigers and elephants. In addition to the performing acts, kids will have the unique opportunity to ride and pet different types of animals.
*Acts are subject to change*
"

Hmm...I kinda conflicted (having seen Barum & Bailey, many smaller circuses and Cirque du Soleil), and having seen / read about the demise of the circus...the question remains...do I go (guess it's the 'kid in me'), or not.
proxy.php

"It is the only spectacle I know, that, while you watch it, gives the quality of a truly happy dream". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:
I remember seeing a three-ring circus at the Montreal Forum, when I were a wee lad in the early '60s. That was something.
... but there's still is Cirque du Soleil.
proxy.php
A different experience, but certainly worth the price of admission.
I've seen "Totem" under their big top in Montreal, and "Dralion" in an arena in Saint John, New Brunswick.

Circus historian Dominique Jando:
"The elements of the circus have been there forever. There is a need for the human beings to try things, for no reason whatsoever, just try to do something that nobody else does.
And, there is a need for human beings to watch that. It's something in human nature. You need to go beyond your own possibilities."​

Other creatures too, I dare say.
... anyone remember drive-in movies?
Yup. That's how I saw "North to Alaska", with John Wayne, Stewart Granger, Capucine, Ernie Kovacs, and Fabian.
They were killed by Daylight Saving Time.
Uh... not those actors.
I meant the drive-ins.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[...]Yup. That's how I saw "North to Alaska", with John Wayne, Stewart Granger, Capucine, Ernie Kovacs, and Fabian.
They were killed by Daylight Saving Time.
Uh... not those actors.
I meant the drive-ins.
John:
1-jpg.899177
...and not to get off-thread, but what I 'don't miss' about the past drive-ins were the mosquitoes that got in the car through the 'little-tiny' slit(s) in your window(s) that you hung the speaker (yeah...I hated to sit on that side...even "Off" didn't do much to repel them)
proxy.php

But you know my friend, I too miss the drive-in's and;

1. The friends we 'snook-in' the trunk our cars.
proxy.php

2, The Concession Stands!
26052dancing-snacks-set-of-3-poster-jpg.326515

I remember when I was stationed at Fort Hood, TX in the late 90's, there was (and still is today), a Drive-in (open since 1950), in Gatesville, TX called "The Last Drive-In Picture Show" (only a 40min drive from Post),...$10 a carload...bring your own snacks or buy them there.

Also, loved the use of my speakers...[tune to 90.3 on your radio], to hear the movie (goodbye 'skeeters' [I remembered they still had some old speakers for those nostalgic lovers]). :yesnod:

Read More: The Last Drive-In Picture Show

proxy.php
"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days". Doug Larson

Last edited:
Also, loved the use of my speakers...[tune to 90.3 on your radio], to hear the movie...I remembered they still had some old speakers for those nostalgic lovers
There's still an old drive-in theatre where I live, but I always thought they left some portable speakers on stands for those who didn't have FM, or any radio in their car.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
There's still an old drive-in theatre where I live, but I always thought they left some portable speakers on stands for those who didn't have FM, or any radio in their car.
razorboi:
What! No FM or radio in the car?

proxy.php
"[Film after sunset:] I wanted it to be like a high quality, drive-in movie". Rob Zombie

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I remember seeing a three-ring circus at the Montreal Forum, when I were a wee lad in the early '60s. That was something.

I'd not thought about this in a very long time.

Tickets to the circus were sold . . . I think in support of the Montreal Children's hospital. My mother took myself and three friends. I think we were about 7 years old. Somehow. . . me . . . not paying attention in the crowd lost them. I was pretty worried . . . Found my way up to the top of the forum. . . looking down on the broadcast booths from where the hockey games were announced. Watched the whole presentation. Somehow with help we got back together . . . I think by that time I was watching the elephants getting ready for transport to the next show.

Somehow I was not traumatized by the experience . . . Man . . . It was a different time. I'm sure I had a dime in my shoe in case of emergency.

I'll admit that to this day I always claim I ran away from the circus to become an accountant. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom