What's new

Now THIS is what a pipe should be like

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My first was a Brogg churchwarden. I still have it in the bottom of a box. I should drag it out. The finish went wrong and I sanded it back, oiled it up and it looked even better than when I bought it. Lovely collection you have there.

I should add, if you want a REALLY good smoking pipe (that smokes like a dream) get your hands on an unfinished cobb pipe. No finish, raw. They're amazing.
My preference as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I love that chockla. That looks like a keeper for sure!

Thanks. The Chocla is a great pipe for English blends.

The Puella I've been smoking this evening, is starting to show discoloration on the outside from the heat. I'm hoping that's just the stain, and not the wood beneath. I don't consider this broken in yet, and I have been smoking it as carefully as I sensibly can. It tends to be front and back where it gets hottest, and the pipe has noticeably darkened there. I'll try to get a decent pic.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not the greatest pic, but hopefully it shows...

IMG_20200930_032807.jpg

That's not a shadow, but darkening of the stain (?)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is something like that to be expected? You sound concerned.

Surprised. Not exactly concerned. It was less than £10 :biggrin:
If it bursts into flames, I'll be sure to let you know :lol1:

As these are my first Mr Brog pipes, I don't know if this is common or not, although this post would suggest it's not unheard of...

My first was a Brogg churchwarden. I still have it in the bottom of a box. I should drag it out. The finish went wrong and I sanded it back, oiled it up and it looked even better than when I bought it.

Maybe Robster can elaborate on what went wrong.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I like pipes with large and unusual bowls. And if I did smoke a pipe, I'd be partial to Meershaum pipes. Love those.
I like very traditional shaped pipes with small to medium bowls. I don’t know why, I just do. Large bowls don’t smoke well for me. Meerschaum pipes ar good but I won’t smoke one sitting on the patio. If you happen to drop one, it had better be on a soft surface.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like very traditional shaped pipes with small to medium bowls. I don’t know why, I just do. Large bowls don’t smoke well for me. Meerschaum pipes ar good but I won’t smoke one sitting on the patio. If you happen to drop one, it had better be on a soft surface.

20mm wide x 35/40mm deep is a large bowl for me. 16/18mm wide x 30mm deep is a small bowl. I don't like to stray far outside those two points. I also like a bowl to be 1.5 to 2 times as deep as it is wide.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
20mm wide x 35/40mm deep is a large bowl for me. 16/18mm wide x 30mm deep is a small bowl. I don't like to stray far outside those two points. I also like a bowl to be 1.5 to 2 times as deep as it is wide.
Sorry Al but I don’t speak mm’s but you got the height to diameter spot on. That is the most important dimension to me. I just traded a Savi pot (114) because of that. Also got rid of a Savi Longjohn because I smoke mild burley blends and by the time the smoke got through that long stem it was out of juice. Not crazy about Savies anyway. 😂.

Sorry Al but I don’t speak mm’s but you got the height to diameter spot on. That is the most important dimension to me. I just traded a Savi pot (114) because of that. Also got rid of a Savi Longjohn because I smoke mild burley blends and by the time the smoke got through that long stem it was out of juice. Not crazy about Savies anyway. 😂.

25 mm = 1 inch, so a 20 mm wide bowl is just over 3/4", while a 35-40 mm depth is between 1.5 and 1.75"

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
25 mm = 1 inch, so a 20 mm wide bowl is just over 3/4", while a 35-40 mm depth is between 1.5 and 1.75"
You've got the width I liked perfect, but I liked a bowl about 2" deep. And I have no idea why! I just did.

Never really smoked anything but briar and corn cob. Prices from extremely low Dr Grabow filtered ones through just over a hundred dollars. But I bought my last pipe over 40 years ago, so I have no idea what that translates to.

LOL, as you all can see, I miss my pipes! If there is ANY more relaxing exercise, I'll be danged if I know what it is.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I should add: @AimlessWanderer , those are BEAUTIFUL pipes that I would be proud to have and smoke anywhere. I'll bet that the discoloration is just on the surface, and a natural occurrence from heat dissipation. No structural damage to the pipe. Just keep smoking them as cool as you can and they should last a whole lot longer than the prices would indicate.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I should add: @AimlessWanderer , those are BEAUTIFUL pipes that I would be proud to have and smoke anywhere. I'll bet that the discoloration is just on the surface, and a natural occurrence from heat dissipation. No structural damage to the pipe. Just keep smoking them as cool as you can and they should last a whole lot longer than the prices would indicate.

Thanks Dave 🍻

Top Bottom