What's new

now that i've milled my Palmolive shavestick...

check my thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=168334

the easiest way to store a shavestick would be to mill it down and store it in a container. this will preserve the scent and you can use it like a traditional shave soap

Very nice! I'd be tempted to do that but my Mama Bear soaps get too much rotation and I can't seem to finish one to take advantage of the bowl.

For the sake of needing a shave stick in my rotation, for now I think I'll
look forward to Craig87c's report on the WCS twist up containers. It would give yet another excuse to load up on some stuff while ordering if those containers work out. :laugh:

Edit: And just like that, the Palmolive sticks are out at WCS! THE END IS NEAR! :p
reEdit Speick is out of Stock now also. Would you guys stop already.

Last edited:
incidentally, I came across someone's wetshaving blog, probably someone from B&B, and they likened the smell of the Arko shavestick to that of a urinal puck :lol:. guess i'll find out for myself

To me, Arko just smells very very CLEAN. But not in a good fresh way, in the way that a lemon scented bathroom cleaner smells.

What really and truly smells like a urinal cake is the dreaded Williams. And really, that's all that stuff is really good for

If that stick container is the same one that Ogalalla uses, then Arko perfectly. It's even a bit loose, you could get a slightly bigger stick in if you wanted to force it.

I just got a stick of Palmolive yesterday. This is now my go-to soap. Great lather, and I enjoy the scent. Nice for everyday use.

Speick is another one I love as well, it makes for a nice Sat morning shave. And the smell is a definite plus.

Alright everyone, finally got the WCS Twistup sticks in.

I fit one nearly full Palmolive stick in with no problem. Could probably get two sticks in if you press really hard. Arko stick fits perfectly (They're both 2oz I believe). Also, got about half of a pick of MWF into one- Really wish I'd bought just one more container then I could move to full shave stick mode.

My room smells like a soap factory. The Palmolive smells a lot more strongly when grated (that's a good thing!). The Arko smells ok- a mixture between Lemon cleaning products and Lemon candy. Not very strong, IMHO.

Don't do the grating over your bed! One wrong move and there's soap all over your bed; SWMBO is going to kill me when she gets home. It was great knowing you guys...

Speick and Palmolive are in the same ballpark. I like speick a little bit better due to scent.

Arko performs well but kinda stinks. It's a love it or hate it type of thing.

+1 on Speick. Both are outstanding soaps. Speick wins out on scent.

Haven't tried Arko.

Thanks for the info craig87. Im going to try putting palmolive in one, what did you pack it in with?

No problem! I just used my fingers. Since I only put one into it, I think that'll be ok. If you wanted to do two, it'd probably take a more thorough packing into the tube.

PS- She didn't kill me! SWMBO actually likes the smell of Arko over Palmolive and MWF. How weird is that?

I just ordered 2 Arko shavesticks tonight too and will soon be ordering some Speick. how would you say these shave sticks perform when compared to Palmolive?

I've still not got round to trying Speick, but I'd say Arko and Palmolive perform equally well...Palmolive slightly slicker but the Arko gives slightly denser lather (possibly due to the brush picking up more of the softer product). Palmolive wins on scent. However, if you leave Arko uncovered the scent dissipates a bit.

Do they all come in similar packaging? I probably should not have ripped so much foil off my Palmolive stick and I'm wondering how best to store it.

No problem if you leave it uncovered, the scent from the stick will fade...but it reappears when you use it! I've got an old chrome tube from a travel set that I keep mine in.

No problem! I just used my fingers. Since I only put one into it, I think that'll be ok. If you wanted to do two, it'd probably take a more thorough packing into the tube.

PS- She didn't kill me! SWMBO actually likes the smell of Arko over Palmolive and MWF. How weird is that?
Do you think 2 sticks would actually fit in one? Ive got a bulk order coming from England this week so ill have to experiment.

Ok so 2 sticks will not fit in one of those containers at all. I got 1 in and packed it pretty good. Unfortunatly when i tried to twist it the screw sheared off at the bottom and is now useless. So word of warning, be careful with these containers when packing.
I got 4 glue sticks for a dollar at biglots and packed 1 stick into 2 and 1/2 of them, so it all worked out in the end:)

Top Bottom