What's new

Now I’ve Done It...

Well, I did this a while ago. I’m still pretty new to my return to pipe smoking.

I used my cigar lighter on a new pipe. I know now that qualifies as a “bad thing.” How do I fix the damage? Can I fix the damage? It wasn’t an expensive pipe, so I can afford to learn on it.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call it a lesson learned - soft flame only. It should still smoke okay, but the finish is toast. The silver lining is that you can try your hand at sanding and refinishing it...plus, you have a great excuse to buy yourself a new pipe. :whistling:

Call it a lesson learned - soft flame only. It should still smoke okay, but the finish is toast. The silver lining is that you can try your hand at sanding and refinishing it...plus, you have a great excuse to buy yourself a new pipe. :whistling:

Thank you....and I like the way you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Also, single flame torches are useable in a pinch. You just have to be careful.

Kilroy6644

Even a single flame torch is so very hot that I wouldn't bring one near my pipe.
I felt the same way for a long time, until one day I found myself with a packed pipe and a bunch of misbehaving lighters. The torch worked, though. The trick is to point the flame straight down, and don't apply it for more than one second. The tobacco will light very quickly, but the flame is out before the pipe has a chance to scorch.

I'll keep that in mind. I use torches for my cigars, but I have always feared bringing them anywhere near my pipes. I have a local shop that lets me put pipes on layaway so I can afford some pretty pricey ones. I tend to treat them very carefully.

Kilroy6644

I'll keep that in mind. I use torches for my cigars, but I have always feared bringing them anywhere near my pipes. I have a local shop that lets me put pipes on layaway so I can afford some pretty pricey ones. I tend to treat them very carefully.
Of course. I mostly have less expensive pipes, so I don't worry so much. I'm much less likely to use the torch on one of my Peterson's. And the torch isn't my go-to, but in certain situations it comes in handy.

i use torch lighter only for my clay pipes loaded with fireproof tobaccos like SG ropes and plugs
Certain situations like this, for example.

Top Bottom