What's new

Now I understand.

I just started DE shaving and the first few shaves were with my Gillette gel from a can. This morning was my first shave with my own hand-made lather using Van Der Hagen Deluxe. My goodness what a difference. I don't think I ever want to use a can again. I even encouraged my wife and daughters to give the VDH a try.

I've been reading these forums for a few weeks and couldn't understand the cult-like following of shave soaps. Now I understand. So now I guess the next step will be to branch out and try some different soaps, but nfortunately I have no sense of smell due to a medical condition so I'm left with texture and effectiveness.

There are so many good soaps available as far as scent and performance. Soft soaps like Proraso and Cella, and hard soaps like D.R. Harris and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Enjoy!

Welcome and congrats on your discovery! I too was a little confused at first but it didn't take very long for me to come around. Now of course I'm hooked.

My first DE Shave was Christmas Eve 2008 with VDH Delux from my small town grocery store. Just a great shave and for over a year VDH was the shave soap I used. Then I started to experiment with melting it, and then adding in some Kiss My Face Shave Cream, which created even better lathers...from there my world opened up to now a Den full of Shave Soaps and that have all brought me great shaves and great joys.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Sometimes not being able to smell is an advantage. If your wife lets out a silent but deadly, she can rest assured knowing you won't say anything. I have a pretty sensitive nose, and if I catch some of that wind it's hard for me not to say anything. Arguments can occur. :p

Try Arko. It's a great lathering soap but some people don't like the smell. That wouldn't be an issue for you and you will have great shaves from it.

That's a shame you can't enjoy the variety of scents available, but on the other hand it means you'll be much better able to compare soaps (and creams too, don't forget to give them a try) on the basis of their performance alone.

I think I'll be using VDH Deluxe for a while. I bought it at my local Walgreens on clearance for $1.49 and since I like it so much I went back and cleaned them out. I have 10 pucks now. I've told my wife and two daughters to try it also so I expect we'll all be soapers before too long.

For those that have tried the Art of Shaving soap, can you tell me if there's a significant enough difference to cause me to spend $30 bucks on a AOS soap puck.

This is how Shaving Soap Acquisition Disorder starts.....

Canned gels ---> Tries VDH (or Williams) ---> KAPOW! ---> Wonders what other soaps are like ---> Join the Sabbatical the following year

For those that have tried the Art of Shaving soap, can you tell me if there's a significant enough difference to cause me to spend $30 bucks on a AOS soap puck.

I haven't tried AOS soaps, However I do used both Tabac, which is rated quite high on performance, and VDH deluxe. In my opinion if straight water was a 1, and Tabac was 100, VDH, lathered correctly, would be in the mid 90s. Lately I've been thinking that one of the things that makes everyone rate Tabac so high is that it is almost hard to get the lather wrong. Where VDH has a narrower window for optimum performance.

I haven't tried AOS soaps, However I do used both Tabac, which is rated quite high on performance, and VDH deluxe. In my opinion if straight water was a 1, and Tabac was 100, VDH, lathered correctly, would be in the mid 90s. Lately I've been thinking that one of the things that makes everyone rate Tabac so high is that it is almost hard to get the lather wrong. Where VDH has a narrower window for optimum performance.

Good to know. I had no problem lathering the VDH. I put the puck in the bottom of a coffee mug and then built the lather on my face. No issues at all.

Good to know. I had no problem lathering the VDH. I put the puck in the bottom of a coffee mug and then built the lather on my face. No issues at all.
Great! With 25 oz of soap, you and your family are set for quite a while. Chances are good someone will get you a high price soap for a birthday or something.

No sense of smell? What a shame.

In your case I would definitely recommend Arko and Tabac- they are two terrific soaps but opinions are divided on their scents.

What I did when I decided I wanted to try a Tallow shave soap and really just be part of the conversation on this board was to purchase 3 shave sticks from one of the many great vendors that are online. I chose Arko (just wanted to see for myself) Palmolive and Speick shave stick. These are all very very low priced and will open your world to shave soaps. You should be able to get all 3 for for less than a puck from the Art of Shaving including shipping if CONUS.

I think I'll be using VDH Deluxe for a while. I bought it at my local Walgreens on clearance for $1.49

and since I like it so much I went back and cleaned them out. I have 10 pucks now. I've told my wife and two daughters to try it also so I expect we'll all be soapers before too long.

What I did when I decided I wanted to try a Tallow shave soap and really just be part of the conversation on this board was to purchase 3 shave sticks from one of the many great vendors that are online. I chose Arko (just wanted to see for myself) Palmolive and Speick shave stick. These are all very very low priced and will open your world to shave soaps. You should be able to get all 3 for for less than a puck from the Art of Shaving including shipping if CONUS.

Mike, I agree with Tom. Although I have only used Arko and Speick. Both perform outstandingly well. There are so many soaps out there to try. You have just entered into a bigger world! I look at your diminished sense of smell as a boon rather and a liability! There are some soaps out there that perform flawlessly but may not smell the best. You, my friend, aren't limited by off-putting scents.

The shaving soap world is now your oyster. Enjoy and welcome!

Top Bottom