What's new

Now I get it!

:w00t:

I've been shaving with a str8t for around 6 to 8 weeks now, using a couple of full hollow vintage blades honed by Larry at Whipped Dog. These have been great to learn on, and I've become pretty comfortable using them. It was pretty frustrating at first.

This morning, however, I used a wedge blade that was restored and honed by Shave Smith in Ft Collins, CO, and it was amazing. The closest, most comfortable shave I ever felt.

If you're in your first few weeks of shaving with a str8t, keep at it! You'll get it!
:thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wanted to try a wedge they sound like a nice shave

It's personal preference. To me it's all about what feels right in your hand. Wedges are heavier and feel substantial in your grip while full hollows are like wielding little lasers is comparison. Neither shaves better than the other as long as they honed equally well.

I've only been shaving with a straight for a week now and I can't wait till that day when it all comes together.

Congrats on your shave today!! For me today was shave #11. I had to take the last three days off cause my neck broke out in little red bumps. I put Cortizone cream on four times a day and was go to go. Today I used wtg only to take it easy on myself and as light a touch as possible. The light touch seemed to be the missing link? Only one little tiny weeper and got a dfs!!! I'm stoked!!

Yeah, trying different grinds when you're starting out is a great idea. Like you I started with a hollow grind but didn't really get it until I got a quarter hollow and then everything fell into place. After getting some experience under my belt I went back and tried the hollow grind and loved that too.

:w00t:

I've been shaving with a str8t for around 6 to 8 weeks now, using a couple of full hollow vintage blades honed by Larry at Whipped Dog. These have been great to learn on, and I've become pretty comfortable using them. It was pretty frustrating at first.

This morning, however, I used a wedge blade that was restored and honed by Shave Smith in Ft Collins, CO, and it was amazing. The closest, most comfortable shave I ever felt.

If you're in your first few weeks of shaving with a str8t, keep at it! You'll get it!
:thumbup1:

nice work fella, I found myself a near wedge smiley at about 6weeks in and it was an eye opener too, fitted those hollows on my neck and was my first fully irritation free shave.

No pressure. There is no other blades, safety bars, plastic things, aloe strips or rubber fins to spread out the force. With the whole length of the blade on your skin you have about .000045 sq in of metal touching your face. One pound of force behind that razor is ~22000psi. Luckily skin is flexible so that isn't as bad as it sounds, but still worth keeping in mind.

Top Bottom