What's new

NOW CLOSED 2017 B&B Gold Dollar Mod Competition- Unlimited Class

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The time has come for one of Badger and Blades most anticipated events, The Gold Dollar Mod Competition! A factory gold dollar straight razor is a relatively crude razor shaped object, but in the right hands they can be transformed into beautiful works of art!

If you'd like to see the past competitions, please click HERE

The objective of this competition:

Contestants will have until July 1, 2017 to procure a brand new, carbon steel Gold Dollar straight razor, and transform it into a sharp, gleaming work of art! In the Unlimited class, contestants may use the original Gold Dollars, the new Gold Dollars, or ZY straight razors.

Anything goes, as long as your entry is considered shave worthy. At the end of the competition, the Moderator Team will choose their top 3 picks, which will be entered in a Forum wide poll, where the membership is encouraged to vote for their favorite entry. The winner will receive this beautiful, custom made 3 inch leather strop and linen component!
IMG_1353.JPG

To enter this competition, contestants must meet the B&B 45/50 rule by the last day of the competition, and as always, please abide by the TOU.

Contestants are encouraged to post your progress in this thread.

Please Mod responsibly- always wear the proper protective gear when using power tools.

Gentleman, start your grinders, and...
IMG_0981.GIF

Last edited:
I am in. I've got one GD66 mod under my belt so here I am in this class.

Angle grinder disc broke and I didn't have a new one so the tang is still there. I think its good so I can get better grip when sanding.

IMG_20170425_144240.jpg
IMG_20170425_192134.jpg
IMG_20170501_100730.jpg
IMG_20170501_190005.jpg
IMG_20170501_190020.jpg
IMG_20170501_190133.jpg

With one competition and a few mods under my belt I am declaring myself IN on this one too. I have fresh Gold Dollars in hand and an itch to release the image I have trapped in my head.
Viva La Banda Proscuitto

I've been itching to get in on this since shortly after last year's competition, and have a few GD's that can be destroyed in the process if need be. Due to various unforeseeable events I won't be able to do much, if any, work on it until next week, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get it finished in time regardless.

Good luck guys. I will just be a spectator here. :)

But if you need a test dummy to give the modded razor a spin, you know where to find me.

Well, despite not having been able to spend any time grinding on the GD yet, I've been in the wood shop for a while today and managed to get the blanks for both the scales and matching brush handle ready to go. Tiger maple and padauk.

proxy.php

I normally favor darker woods for a more dramatic effect, but I absolutely love tiger maple.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Well, despite not having been able to spend any time grinding on the GD yet, I've been in the wood shop for a while today and managed to get the blanks for both the scales and matching brush handle ready to go. Tiger maple and padauk.

proxy.php

I normally favor darker woods for a more dramatic effect, but I absolutely love tiger maple.
That's going to be really nice. Do you turn your own handles?

Lol out of four attempts I've managed to thin out the spine on one without it turning into a disaster. Good thing these razors are cheap. It's probably not going to compete very well in the unlimited class, but it's good experience regardless.

Top Bottom