What's new

NOW CLOSED 2017 B&B Gold Dollar Mod Competition- Novice Class

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
NOVICE CLASS
The time has come for one of Badger and Blades most anticipated events, The Gold Dollar Mod Competition! A factory gold dollar straight razor is a relatively crude razor shaped object, but in the right hands they can be transformed into beautiful works of art!

Please Note: This year there will be two separate classes, Novice and Unlimited. Please read the rules carefully and select the appropriate class. The Novice class is OPEN ONLY TO FIRST TIME MODDERS. If you have previously done any type of alterations to these razors please enter in the Unlimited Class.

If you'd like to see the past competitions, please click HERE

The objective of this competition:

Contestants will have until July 1, 2017 to procure a brand new, carbon steel Gold Dollar straight razor, and transform it into a sharp, gleaming work of art! In the Novice class, contestants must use the original Gold Dollars or ZY straight razors. If your stock razor is anything other than a GD or ZY (6/8, Round Point, No Thumb Notch) please enter in the Unlimited Class.

Anything goes, as long as your entry is considered shave worthy. At the end of the competition, the Moderator Team will choose their top 3 picks, which will be entered in a Forum wide poll where the membership is encouraged to vote for their favorite entry.
The winner will receive this awesome 228 piece rotary tool accessory kit!
IMG_0992.JPG

To enter this competition, contestants must meet the B&B 45/50 rule by the last day of the competition, and as always, please abide by the TOU.

Contestants are encouraged to post your progress in this thread.

Please Mod responsibly- always wear the proper protective gear when using power tools.

Gentleman, Start your Grinders, and ........
IMG_0981.GIF

Planning/measuring update for anyone interested.

Did some measuring and it looks like for my blade width (edge to top of hone wear) I need to optimally be at 5.81mm. Currently, I am sitting at 5.95 at the toe, to 6.08 at the heel. So I have a little wiggle room to straighten it out as I thin it. The low spot on the spine is still at 5.9mm so I should be able to get it all worked out ok.

Going to have to do some blending where the tang meets the blade once I get the spine thinned down to where I want it. Hopefully some photos soon.

David

It will be a while before I can start, but I'm in! In the meantime I'll be watching your progress, Shawn.

So this is my first time, so I'm in this class now do these come into this group
20170429_094611.jpg

If so then I can start and see how bad it gets from here on lol.

The sparks have started!
Got my bottom radius ground in and did a little blending where the spine meets to mirror it to the back side since they were uneven.

DSC_0129.JPG

Well. I don't use a SR, I have never modded any kind of blade earlier, and I have no idea at all as to how I will make scales. Buuut I do own a dremel so I'm definitely in.

David

Well. I don't use a SR, I have never modded any kind of blade earlier, and I have no idea at all as to how I will make scales. Buuut I do own a dremel so I'm definitely in.
Perfect!

Big update!
Been busy today. I gave up on trying to thin the spine last night because there was just too much improperly ground metal in the way. I fixed that today. Got it pretty much shaped the way I want it.

There is some detailing I want to do yet, but I am at the point where the major work is pretty much done on the blade.

Also got my scale material picked out. A nice side cut of mahogany. Got some bookmatched pieces to work with.

Just not sure if I like the barbers notch as is, or if I want to make it a little deeper. Any thoughts?

DSC_0130.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

love the angularity of this and it is almost a dreadnought style toe, Good Stuff, I would leave it as it, Beautiful Stuff Shawn

Top Bottom