What's new

Novice cigar question...

First I will say I don't know much about cigars so this may be a silly question but here goes are there any that taste like a Latakia or Balkan blend, pardon me if this doesn't make any sense, next question, what is considered the most common ring gauge?

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
46 is pretty common. 46 to 50 are larger sizes like robustos or churchills or double coronas. You will find those sizes to smoke cooler and milder than smaller ones, as a general rule.

I don't know of any cigar that tastes like a pipe. Latakia in a cigar? Balkan blend? I don't know if it has ever been done and I don't think I would want to try one! Maybe there are some European cigars that would meet that description.

I have smoked several different types of cigars and pipe tobaccos. I have yet to find much of a crossover between flavor profiles between the two. My $.02, if you want pipe tobacco taste, then smoke a pipe, likewise for cigars. They both exist for a reason.

I have smoked several different types of cigars and pipe tobaccos. I have yet to find much of a crossover between flavor profiles between the two. My $.02, if you want pipe tobacco taste, then smoke a pipe, likewise for cigars. They both exist for a reason.
Yeah, that's what I thought but figured I'd ask anyway.

If anything I see more pipe baccy blends that try to incorporate some flavor profiles from cigars than vice versa (Black and Milds not withstanding, although not my favorite....)

That said, I've smoked some great cigars and they definitely have their own merits that aren't to be discounted. My preference though is the pipe, and from a $$$ value standpoint smoking a pipe is more economical for me.

One cigar I enjoyed was the Padron, they seemed to have a nice creaminess and strenght without being bitter. Another good line I enjoy on occasion is CAO Brazila's.

Check out some of the Hondurans and Nicaraguans, both tend to bea bit stronger and tend to have a bit of spice. As for Latakia smokiness, none that I know of except i have heard of peating a cigar but most people would cry at the thought

As someone who enjoys both I guess I will chime in.

I enjoy the Latakia and Balkan blends as much as you do. You and I share a common taste in pipe tobacco in some respects. I think you may like the Sun Grown and Maduro wrappers vs Connecticut.

To me most of the Connecticut wrappers are too mild. I think of them more like a straight Virginia pipe tobacco. Soft flavors that can be detected but you sometimes need an educated tongue to pick up all the delicate flavors.

With Maduro wrappers I think of a nice heavy smoke with an earthy flavor and chocholate notes. My Sungrown wrappers all have a nice peppery kick and are a great change of pace.

-Luke

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thankfully no. :lol:

Cigars with maduro wrappers have darker flavors like chocolate and espresso, but there is nothing that has that burning horse barn flavor.

First I will say I don't know much about cigars so this may be a silly question but here goes are there any that taste like a Latakia or Balkan blend, pardon me if this doesn't make any sense, next question, what is considered the most common ring gauge?

I'm about the same as you in cigar knowledge, but I'd certainly try one if someone made a balkan blend cigar.

I wish I could answer your first question, but I ave never smoked a pipe.
I think I will have a shot at your second question though and that answer has a lot to do if you are American or not. By that I mean America has had a huge swing to much bigger ring gauges the last couple of years. Gauges around 60 are not all that uncommon anymore. I for one like the way the bigger gauges smoke, NUB is one of my favorites. I guess for me it comes down to how much time I have to smoke. But I guess to give you a straight forward answer, churchills still seem to be very popular, 7 X 50

When I started smoking 15 years ago there were some pipe blend cigars and cigar blend loose tobacco on the market. Neither seemed to sell well as the aficionados in each camp were smoking cigars or pipes for a reason and didn't want what the other wanted.

I wouldn't worry about the ring gauge that is most popular, just the ring gauge you like the best. Once again, YMMV. I favor Churchills and tend to go for smaller diameter as the length decreases, but a Phillie Blunt is as small as I will go. No cigarillos or Swisher Sweets, please.

You got me stumped on the first question. On the second, however, it seems that in terms of sales, the robusto 5x50 is the most common and popular although some would disagree. I have a preference for the toro, usually 6x50 or 6x54. It's a happy medium between a short smoke and whole afternoon as in a churchill 7x50 or presidente 8x50. Also, whenever I can score them, Cubans are unparalleled.

Aaron, I'm in about the same boat as you as far as taste in pipe tobacco. I did smoke 1-2 cigars a week or so for a year or so before I switched to pipes. But honestly I'm still a huge novice cause I only bought a few at a time & rarely spent more than $6 a stick. Now I feel like I've forgotten anything I learned from then.

I didn't taste any exactly latakia-ish, but some certainly have a more earthy flavor you might like. I know I did pretty much stick to maduro wrappers & I usually went for a Robusto size or sometimes larger. I did have a Te-Amo once & I actually do seem to recall liking it. I'll have to visit the tobacconist (aww darn:001_rolle) to be able to remember or recommend any others though.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMO most of the taste comes from the wrapper. The filler does give some aroma that helps with flavor, but for the most part all I ever got from a cigar was either nice and smooth, or harsh and bitter, or imbetween. I never was able to get all the nuances that the afficianados do. I will say that I can tell a Cuban from a non-Cuban so there are some differences in flavor. Compared to pipe tobacco a cigar is like chewing on a clove of garlic . YMMV

Top Bottom