What's new

November 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

GRUME...Still Out, day 27
GRUBFing...Still In
Synthetic Sundays
NOCvember

PXL_20221127_145506198.MP.jpg

Pre: Shower and cold splashes; PAA 2.0 cube
Rockwell 6S, plate 4 (with shorter EJ89 handle)
Gillette Platinum (26)
Omega Evo 2.0
Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Post: Cold splashes, Lucky Tiger Face Tonic and moisturizers

Hey Guys,
I decided to use one of LJ's, (@LJBraaten) favorite brands of soap today. The PAA glycerine bar combined with a nice lather and no pressure strokes worked toward an enjoyable DFS. The blade is holding up good and I enjoyed the shorter handle on the razor. It felt like I had greater and more precise control.
Onward!

Back home for a few more weeks! Glad to be back to my Mike’s with lanolin, it really seems to make a difference. The V&E’s performed well, but always left my face a little dry, especially after using it for several days. I’m going to try to get a sample sized puck of Mike’s for my next long trip.

Day 27, 90% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Enhancement: a few drops of glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Got a surprisingly good result from a quick "single pass plus selective tidy-ups" shave. Time for a fresh blade, though.

I enjoyed the shorter handle on the razor. It felt like I had greater and more precise control

Exactly!

My favourite aluminium handle (84mm, 23g) is a lot more fun to use ATG than the longer, heavy GC default.

Stupendously excellent shave today!

The Green Cult V1.1 is an excellent razor; efficient enough to give hassle free 2 pass shaves daily and good enough exposure to clear my trouble areas.

Green Cult V1.1
Wilkinson Sword blade (India)
MSC Apricot Pie soap
Stirling Fan knot badger
Alum rub
Minimalist Oatmeal Moisturizer

View attachment 1563444
Which plate were you using Alec?

Cheers,

Guido

Stupendously excellent shave today!

The Green Cult V1.1 is an excellent razor; efficient enough to give hassle free 2 pass shaves daily and good enough exposure to clear my trouble areas.

Green Cult V1.1
Wilkinson Sword blade (India)
MSC Apricot Pie soap
Stirling Fan knot badger
Alum rub
Minimalist Oatmeal Moisturizer

View attachment 1563444
Have you used the 1.0 yet?

Which plate were you using Alec?

Cheers,

Guido
I'm using the V1.1 razor = 0.65 mm gap, 0.1 mm

The V2.0 have level I, II, III and IV plate. By that comparison, this is Level II plate (AFAIK).
Have you used the 1.0 yet?
Yes! And I love it.

I purchased it in May and it is the top performer razor in my rotation; excelling in Smoothness and Efficiency.

It is a "one pass wonder" razor, and absolutely no irritation at all.

IMG_20221128_112115.jpg

Notice the holes in the underside of the base plate - this is the V1.0 (0.95 mm gap) and the razor on the left is V1.1 (0.65 mm gap)

Both are my favourite depending upon the number of days stubble.

lasta

Blade Biter
Date
365 days of shaving334/330
(100%)
GRUME27/30 (100%)
NOCvember
27/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handleBolzano (7)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in! The final days of this GRUME are in sight!!

Inspired by Doug's (@Rosseforp) post on the Flat Bottom Tech - Wolfman comparison I got my Tech out for an excellent Sunday shave. With three passes to an almost marble finish my Flat Bottom Tech reigned supreme and let me know that even though there is a new king in town, this golden oldie still has a lot to offer. I have to admit that the Timeless did an outstanding job yesterday and so we started the day with less stubble than usual.

The Bolzano was on its 7th run which exceeds the first Bolzano blade and it was super smooth in the Tech. No troubles at all and the Gillette Slides were simply bliss to perform. So far great performance of this Discovery Blade at the gracious courtesy of @Space_Cadet and @Grundi.

Proraso provided a nice mentholated chill with each pass. Floïd's stang a little telling me this was a close shave and Nivea put the skin back at ease.

Have a nice day everyone.
You are actually gonna make it this time?:c8:

The V2.0 have level I, II, III and IV plate. By that comparison, this is Level II plate (AFAIK).

Yes! And I love it.

I purchased it in May and it is the top performer razor in my rotation; excelling in Smoothness and Efficiency.

View attachment 1563447

Notice the holes in the underside of the base plate - this is the V1.0 (0.95 mm gap) and the razor on the left is V1.1 (0.65 mm gap)

Ah yeah! I mixed them up you’re right. I have been reading nothing but good stories about these razors.

Enjoy yours!

Guido

Yes! And I love it.

View attachment 1563447

Beauties.
Any idea about the 1.2?
Price has gone up quite a bit.

Beauties.
Any idea about the 1.2?
Price has gone up quite a bit.
Yes, the price has gone up, but it is a business and it needs some margin for sustainability. IMHO, it is still a good vfm if not great, especially for those who haven't got the V1.0 and V1.1

From what I have heard, the machining marks have been reduced, handle is shorter and packaging has been improved greatly.

For me, since I have both V1.0 and V1.1, the V2.0 is unnecessary. However, those who missed the V1.0 and would like to try something smooth and efficient can go for Level III or even IV.

Date
365 days of shaving335/331
(100%)
GRUME28/30 (100%)
NOCvember
28/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handle
Timor (2)
Bolzano (7)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Stirling Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8.5/10 (some minor weepers ATG)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A great shave this morning with the Mühle at bat first. It took care of almost all the stubble on the first pass. The Timor blade behaves well in the R41. Sharp, smooth and comfortable - liking that! Next up was the Tech and on the cheeks it almost felt I wasn't using a blade at all. ATG to finish everything off and BBS was smooth and comfortable.

Two more days in GRUME November and two more days of enjoyment in NOCvember! And my first anniversary is coming up too: one year of DE shaving (and not going back to something else!).

Detailed shave notes can be found: here

Enjoy your days everyone!

Peekaboo!
Look at who joined the shave yesterday evening?
That's right, brethren... That cursed Iridium.
Let me bore you with telling how come.

Part of my shaving ritual is the sometimes feverish anticipation of the shave.
Not always feverish, sometimes I decide around noon what my gear will be.
But some days, as the hour of joy approaches, I start pacing in my head.
And switching options.
This may continue even till after I loaded a blade and I can change each item at the last moment, or some of it, or all of it.

Yesterday evening was as afore mentioned.
Except for the soap, which I bought from a Ukrainian soap maker as a token of my support.
Nice soap, heavily bovine tallowed. The more tallow, the stronger the tallow scent.
It appears not every tallow shaver smells the tallow in soaps, but I do.
"Time Dragon", made by Areffa Soap, as such has a nice scent, though.
And does what it must do. Glide is its strongest point, which I feel is most important.

So I loaded a Nacet in one of my "new" bakelite Philite razors.
But I had been eyeing the tuck of Iridium on the drawer a few times.
The Philite must have been cleaned with something nasty, because it stank.
And out of the blue I decided to take "the carving ripper" Iridium and load it in the Greencult 1.0

I wanted a dripping wet, yet firm enough soap, so I tried three brushes.
And switched them while lathering.
Let me tell you I had a joyous shave.
The soap did as hoped and the Iridium and the Greencult matched.

So: I had a completely bloodless and thorough shave.
The Iridium feels nowhere as smooth as other blades I use, but I no longer hate it.
I'll probably never like it, but I now feel I can master it, in stead of it mastering me.

23E36A3E-DDC8-496A-AACB-2C47346919CB.jpeg

Care to bore me with the story behind three (!) brushes too?! Or did two contain iridium bristles and you finally settled for the Sagrada Familia lurking in the background there? :biggrin1:. Switching during lathering - interesting.

Anyway great to read your self-confidence has been restored to its former glory and level. Perhaps the clamping abilities of the GC assisted in finding those levels again.

Way to go brother!

Guido

Top Bottom