What's new

November 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date
365 days of shaving336/332
(100%)
GRUME29/30 (100%)
NOCvember
29/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handleBolzano (8)Razorock 400 Plissoft
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I intended to shave with the Gillette and my Timeless, but stubble was on the milder side and therefore I only used the Tech. Going with a Bolzano on its 8th run it was a very smooth shave with no hassles and all dazzles. Smooth, comfortable and the Bolzano not showing any signs of fatigue. BBS level was achieved relatively easy, although I have the feeling the longevity of the BBS will be less than with my other blades / razors. The Tech is a versatile and nimble razor that is about as good as razors get - also bearing in mind the age of this razor.

The Razorock brush is my favorite currently and it lathers exuberantly well. Nice slickness and glide and of course the soap being Proraso Green with a menthol kick between passes. Wonderfully soft and yet with enough backbone for me. Really a great brush.

Floïd's stang at first and provided that nice and warm sensation in combination with a barbershop scent.

Excellent start of the day I would say!

OK. One more day to go and I will have successfully completed my second GRUME (what?! - yes, I have completed one before in June. From there on it was downhill with small single purchases). For those that are still in: keep at it!! For those already out: I can fully relate and there is always next month's GRUME. I liked reading about and seeing the photos of your purchases every post of the way. You are all my GRUME peeps: Greatest Razor Union Mob par Excellence!!

Day 28
GRUBF...Still In
GRUME...Still Out
NOCvember
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday

View attachment 1563792

Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
Gillette Platinum (28)
Muhle XL STF brush
MdC Rose soap

Hey Guys
First the good news. I had an excellent shave today. With good prep, lather and technique I achieved a DFS without any difficulty. I am getting close to my record for using the same blade- It is 29 or 30 so I will have to go to at least 31.
The Avon bowl was found at a thrift store a couple months ago. It worked fine but is a little small so it is returning to the kitchen.

Now to the bad news. I usually take a photo before I shave and send it to my desktop computer for editing. I forgot to bring the items in the house. Our charming cat Chloe had knocked everything off the rail. Thankfully nothing was broken but the brush was missing. I saw our dog Maggie in the yard chewing something and yes, it was the brush. Half the handle is gone and large tufts of the brush fibers are gone. I cleaned what remained and did manage to lather but sad to say, the brush is no longer usable. It's OK, but that was a mighty fine brush. I haven't asked Kathy to replace it (I'm still GRUMEing) but I think she is up to something good.

Take care of yourself and each other.
Oh no. What a pity! 😞

I almost had replied to your message

"if only you had used Arko that day... no dog ever would have snagged this brush then ;) "

... but that would have been an inappropriate remark in such a miserable situation. 🙊

That indeed was a fine brush 😞

GRUBFing until I can start GRUME on December 1st
NOCvember

PXL_20221129_155700071.MP.jpg

Merkur 34C
Gillette Platinum (29)
Stirling finest badger
Stirling Scots Pine Sheep

Hey Guys
I am really leaning toward synthetic brushes...but I like the size and fan shape of this badger. Another reason to use it today is because DecemBOAR is coming up. I may go all of December with boars and synthetics.

About the soap; I totally enjoy the earthy, woodsy, lingering scent. I can still imagine being in a beautiful quiet fall forrest. It is very similar to Elgengrau by B&M. I made the lather a tad thin and the shave was as smooth as silk. The 34C razor did not really impress me until today. Just like boar brushes, maybe it just needed a good blade that has been slightly broken in.

Take care of yourself and each other...Onward!

Also,

You are all my GRUME peeps: Greatest Razor Union Mob par Excellence!!
👍

Yep, but I'm done there, too. And with coffee grinders (maybe). And with boots...once I replace my Taylor Stitch Trench Boots. And with fountain pens, though I need to find some ink that makes SWMBO happy with her Metros. But watches, yeah, I'm definitely done there...for now. :a2:
Coffee grinders…okaayy…that is the most original collection or AD I have ever come across. Doesn’t that take huge amounts of space to collect?

Ah yeah fountain pens…will never ever enter a GRUME for that one. Especially since the LOTH has an AD for that too. When she acquires a new pen only one word comes to my mind…LEVERAGE!!

Guido

Coffee grinders…okaayy…that is the most original collection or AD I have ever come across. Doesn’t that take huge amounts of space to collect?
Not "collecting", per se. Just researching to find the right one(s) for my various use-cases. Home, office, camping, traveling, etc. I have a good one for the office and a decent one for home (and a junky one at home, too). I'd like to replace the two at home (when SWMBO isn't looking) with an upgrade in that department. They're all hand-grinders, which I like because they are quiet and don't take a lot of space, but they can be just as expensive as a motorized one!

full

Still in.
Been experimenting with my pre-shave routine. Today I used Kyle's routine but after the first soak I worked in a thick lather and let it dwell for about eight minutes before scrubbing it off.
Long Dwell Time, I wanted to go 10 minutes on the dwell time but it felt a little uncomfortable after 8 so I scrubbed off the lather and carried on w my shave.

This seemed to be a great routine and had a 2pass shave w a touch of neck buffing for a very nice result and high comfort level.
Not a single difficulty or nick.

I'm crazy for the Boat Drinks soap, it's very nice and now I'm starting to crave the scent and matched w the Dead Sea, a perfect combo

Still in, second day testing my newly molded travel soap (accidentally posted in the December GRUME) with the Timberwolf brush, and it’s a good fit. The olive can is a little larger than the spray paint cap my other soap is in. The small containers are good for the smaller brush and face lathering. Back to the tech today, got a fairly decent shave yesterday with my Gem Junior (1912), but nothing beats the tech for a consistently close shave.

Date
365 days of shaving337/333
(100%)
GRUME30/30 (100%)
NOCvember
30/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SC
Eddison (10)
Omega 632 Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)9.5/10 (Tiniest weepers on the)
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (Marble-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

To end November I took out my Timeless. Still paired with the Eddison blade and together they performed exquisitely. An almost perfect shave with a marble finish except for under the nose. In fact I had a @CCS moment - I felt one or two whiskers under the nose so I had to go back after the shave and take care of those.

The Omega brush with @tjsgarden TipDip method made for an excellent Proraso lather. The lather provided wonderful glide and protection.

Floïd's let me know this was a really close shave and Nivea came to the rescue to provide coolness and nutrition to the skin.

Excellent shave!!

And today is the last day of GRUME!! No purchases made - 100% satisfaction and a second successfully completed GRUME. Still unsure if I will participate in December as I am on the fence for that Omega Roma brush, but then again X-Mas will bring a T3 so there is no particular need for this brush.

This GRUME bunch is an amazing group of people and I have thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thanks!!

Top Bottom