What's new

November 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

It is possible your newly acquired Blackbird would always feel a bit tainted.
On the other hand: if you purchase it after your GRUME, it might shine a lot more, since you would associate it with your perseverance.
Good point.

I was supposed to be on a GRUME break this holiday season but spent my designated shaving funds on some soaps and that is the matter of content.

If those soaps weren't purchased then the Blackbird would be the reward for good behavior, now it'll be like Cheating.

Well, this clears it - no Blackbird for me since I already spent the designated funds earlier on something else.

This will be a good lesson for future - not to burn out future prospects in favor of short term comforts.

780FCC1D-65AA-47CE-A456-2891E630A5DE.jpeg
Still in - lovely DFS+ Sunday shave
Chances are high that I’ll use up that 500ml Vitos Tabacco cream until the end of the year.

Good point.

I was supposed to be on a GRUME break this holiday season but spent my designated shaving funds on some soaps and that is the matter of content.

If those soaps weren't purchased then the Blackbird would be the reward for good behavior, now it'll be like Cheating.

Well, this clears it - no Blackbird for me since I already spent the designated funds earlier on something else.

This will be a good lesson for future - not to burn out future prospects in favor of short term comforts.
I enjoy GRUME. It makes me comtemplative.
To tell the truth, I was in a purchase frenzy before I joined.
The kick is great, but I am very happy I have slowed down.

Day 28, 93.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Used the Game Changer for an easy DFS. It's a pity Palmolive is getting scarce, as it performs well and smells good. I've got 8 or 9 sticks left.

still in - headshave today

The finish line is near. I will officially skip December to get my list done (some Arko pucks, Plamolive Sticks, my shop credit at Captains's Choice and either a stainless or a vintage piece for X-mas) but will still pop in for SOTD's.

My goal for the December is to only do the planned buys and no impulse shopping/auction site hunting...

linty1

My wallet cries.
November wasn't that bad, I thought not signing up for the Grume that I would splurge, and while I did acquire a few items, I feel really good about things and I'm not really chasing anything anymore. I shall be back in for December, my record is an even 3-3.

Looks like I’ll make it through another month. No plans to do any shopping, and got my last shave of the month in last night after going four days without.

3224B01A-123E-4CC0-9043-4A6885836140.jpeg

It’s gratifying to realize that as infrequently as I use a straight, I always get a really good shave from them. Not as perfectly clean as with a safety razor, because I just can’t fit the bigger blade in at all the angles I need. Maybe my exception for next year will be a shorty straight.

The December thread is up:

Failed GRUME, noncommittally.
Took an arrow to the knee for an Omega 80005, hope it is worth the wait. Happy restraint to all.
Best GRUME failed GRUME!(Don't fall for it🥲).
Oddly, I don't see you on the list. However, in the spirit of GRUME - and given that you may have been playing along without being "official" - I'll add you to the list so that we can knock you off. We'll hope to see you in December. :D

And when an undercover-brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @SharpieB
3) rbscebu - out (11/21: SR)
4) @B_R_A_D
5) @Sinnbad11
6) @Roedeer
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Multum in parvo
9) @Doti B
10) Kyle89 - out (11/13: Simpson brush)
11) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
12) @Flintstone65
13) @‘Bout Time
14) Owen Bawn - out (11/16: Penhaligon cologne)
15) @cryhavoc -GRUYERE
16) @RookieGuy
17) @pdieten - GRUYERE
18) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
19) @Contact_vs_Feedback
20) @Southern_S
21) Balin - out (11/25: Fatboy, 4 soaps & balms)
22) Sandorfi - out (11/8: vintage razor)
23) @Abz88
24) mattps1 - out (11/5: Simpson brush)
25) @FL shaver
26) @kjbarth
27) sarir97 - out (11/15: AliExpress 11/11 sale)
28) @12stones
29) Lee93 - out (11/21: Vitos Green and Omega Evo 🇮🇹 )
30) @BobbyB
31) @Tomo
32) @Jack Goossen
33) mtcn77 - out (11/28: Omega 80005)

Still in, just back after a trip down south for my cousins wedding.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- D.R. Harris Arlington Shave Stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Hawkins and Brimble Elemi and Ginseng Aftershave Balm

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
- Omega 50014

Fragrance for the day
- Floris Honey Oud EDP

Day 29, 96.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Took my time, and got a BBS face and good comfortable neck result.

Now I've got a brush I like, the only missing kit is a largeish plastic/unbreakable bowl with enough texture or relief to make lathering easier.

The DIY option might work.

Top Bottom